It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:43

Page 2 of 13 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:
substance wrote:
thank you alien. Did I pick the right edition for The Evil Dead? According to imdb.com original audio is mono. The US released LDs are in AC-3.

I should have specified that there is only one particular edition of The Evil Dead on Laserdisc that is different from all other generic DVD, later Laserdisc and Blu-Ray versions and that is the Herald Videogram Japanese release which came out in 1985. That is the LD you want as far as significance goes (when it comes to the special blue filter in the colour timing and the film being completely untouched as far as cropping and zooming goes which all other releases suffer from). It's also in mono.

Evil Dead, The (1981) [SF078-5044]

So since your copy is from the U.S and has AC-3 audio, obviously its not the version on Laserdisc as far as significance goes.

Updated the link with the correct version. thanks

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

disclord wrote:
The MCA DiscoVision release of Elton John Live in Edinburgh http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/28716/74-001/Elton-John:-In-Concert-at-Edinburgh - the MCA DV issue is the shows only release on any format, and although its mastered from a 16mm MONO print, its one of Elton's best performances - IF you can find a playable, non-rotted copy - unlike most early non-feature DiscoVision titles that were pressed at the DV Lab's in Torrance, CA, Elton has always seemed to suffer from a higher than normal amount of rot and defects.

I don't know what the show was filmed for (I.e. a specific network or syndication or perhaps MCA DV), but its wonderful and its lack of release on any other format makes it a truly significant LaserDisc - especially because it was THE VERY FIRST 'pop' LaserDisc released - it was supposed to be in the 1978 MCA DiscoVision Silver Catalog, but was omitted for some reason and it wasn't for sale during the mid-December 1978 Atlanta launch - it shows up for sale in early January of 1979. Its not listed in MCA's catalogs until the June 1979 update and ends up staying in the catalog so long that it makes it to a fully printed jacket with the chapter numbers of each song listed (the open-top box and side-open sticker jackets contain no song/chapter listing).

So, not only is it a significant title due to its lack of availability on any other format, but it's also a "LaserVision Landmark".

Included in the list. thank you

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

elahrairrah wrote:
Might want to add:

Fierce Creatures - R1 DVD is P&S while LD is OAR 2.35:1

It Came From Hollywood - no DVD or blu-ray

Fierce Creatures was already in the list. Included Came from Hollywood to the list. thank you

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

disclord wrote:
Quote:
The Devil's Advocate: http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08173/150 ... -The-(1997) The sculpture scenes is unaltered. Also has the theatrical soundtrack.

Philip Stevens wanted me to pass on his following comments about The Devil's Advocate LaserDisc.

I disagree that this is a distinctive LaserDisc because the initial run of the DVD also has the sculpture unaltered AND had the original soundtrack - it was only when Warner reissued the DVD about 4 months later that the soundtrack was first altered and the 'new' blurred sculpture was inserted. As a side-note, Warner DID announce that the LaserDisc was also being reissued with the new "copyright court approved" version of the film, but the initial press-run of 15,000 copies was apparently enough.

BTW, although the video transfer is ghastly and further damaged with excessive edge enhancement, the LaserDisc looks much better than either DVD release because LaserDisc's natural high frequency video roll-off 'softens' the hard EE and makes everything smoother and look less like someone went crazy with Photoshop's sharpening filters.

Updated the entry to reflect the first batch of DVDs also have this cut. thanks again.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

hippiedalek wrote:
substance wrote:
Chapter 1: Star Wars

Special edition set is the 1997 cut which exist only on Laserdisc. 2004 DVD release and 2012 BD releases have newer/altered cuts. Extra content on this set is also unique.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07972/410 ... tion-(1997)

I own this on VCD so it's certainly not unique to LD, I'm fairly certain it was also released on VHS. My VCDs are fullscreen though so the laserdisc set may be the only version of the 1997 cut in widescreen.

VCDs were not really officially imported to the US. I wasn't aware of them sorry. I updated the entry. thank you

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:
The MCA DiscoVision release of Elton John Live in Edinburgh http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/28716/74-001/Elton-John:-In-Concert-at-Edinburgh - the MCA DV issue is the shows only release on any format, and although its mastered from a 16mm MONO print, its one of Elton's best performances - IF you can find a playable, non-rotted copy - unlike most early non-feature DiscoVision titles that were pressed at the DV Lab's in Torrance, CA, Elton has always seemed to suffer from a higher than normal amount of rot and defects.

I don't know what the show was filmed for (I.e. a specific network or syndication or perhaps MCA DV), but its wonderful and its lack of release on any other format makes it a truly significant LaserDisc - especially because it was THE VERY FIRST 'pop' LaserDisc released - it was supposed to be in the 1978 MCA DiscoVision Silver Catalog, but was omitted for some reason and it wasn't for sale during the mid-December 1978 Atlanta launch - it shows up for sale in early January of 1979. Its not listed in MCA's catalogs until the June 1979 update and ends up staying in the catalog so long that it makes it to a fully printed jacket with the chapter numbers of each song listed (the open-top box and side-open sticker jackets contain no song/chapter listing).

So, not only is it a significant title due to its lack of availability on any other format, but it's also a "LaserVision Landmark".

Shouldn't we include all the Disco music titles? I don't think any of them were ever re released. I think my Elton copy is rot free but I'll have to get it out again and confirm. Bernadette Petters has some video rot and bad audio. The rest of them are ok, I need Olivia and Loretta still and maybe another good copy of Bernadette Peters to complete my set.

Elton John, Bernadette Peters, Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Loretta, Mel Torme' and Della Reese, Neil Sedaka, Olivia

The Shadow hasn't been released yet in US in widescreen. I don't think there's DTS on DVD, I'd have to check again.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 07:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The Shadow is out on Blu-ray in OAR with lossless multichannel audio.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shadow-Blu-ray/47145/

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 08:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
The Shadow is out on Blu-ray in OAR with lossless multichannel audio.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shadow-Blu-ray/47145/

Ah, so it is finally. Haven't checked it in awhile.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 08:14 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

updated the list added a few more titles. also created a special chapter. There must be way more titles. help me out:)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 08:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Slipstream (1989) Letterboxed Japanese Import is the only version available in widescreen. Transfer is average quality, and has subtitles inside the image, but watchable.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/13447/SF0 ... %281989%29

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 18:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
disclord wrote:

Shouldn't we include all the Disco music titles? I don't think any of them were ever re released. I think my Elton copy is rot free but I'll have to get it out again and confirm. Bernadette Petters has some video rot and bad audio. The rest of them are ok, I need Olivia and Loretta still and maybe another good copy of Bernadette Peters to complete my set.

Elton John, Bernadette Peters, Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Loretta, Mel Torme' and Della Reese, Neil Sedaka, Olivia

The Shadow hasn't been released yet in US in widescreen. I don't think there's DTS on DVD, I'd have to check again.

Yes, the music titles should be included - MCA Videocassette released some of them, but not all, so Elton, for instance, ONLY exists on that DiscoVision release.

Be careful buying a copy of the DiscoVision Loretta - it was initially released in mono by mistake and while MCA quickly remastered it and had corrected copies on dealer shelves within 4 months, they never recalled the mono copies that were already out there. The way to tell is the disc label itself - the corrected, true stereo, version says STEREO on the disc label, under the side indication. The mono copies don't have any sound markings on the disc label at all.

Loretta has a superb sound mix - for those with the proper equipment, its actually encoded in CBS SQ Quadraphonic Sound - if you have one of the 'ultimate' SQ decoders, either the Audionics Space & Image Composer or the famous Fosgate Tate II 101A, Loretta is a wonderful sound experience. Since the SQ Quad Matrix is 100% compatible with regular stereo, you'll still hear great sound even if you don't have one of the only two good SQ decoders made. Of the modern surround decoding systems, only the Neural surround decoding system comes close to decoding the surround channels properly - they are still not quite right, but no other decoding system can extract them correctly and steer them to the rear corners, so the Neural format is correct to use if you don't have an SQ Quad decoder.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 18:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

can someone help with the special chapter? I am looking for..
-first laserdisc(none Discovision)
-first widescreen(complete movie) LD
-first squeeze LD (did Toshiba promo LDs come out the same time?)
-first stereo LD
-first Dolby surround LD.
-first 3D LD.
-any other first

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 18:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserreadfan wrote:
Slipstream (1989) Letterboxed Japanese Import is the only version available in widescreen. Transfer is average quality, and has subtitles inside the image, but watchable.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/13447/SF0 ... %281989%29

updated

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 20:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

substance wrote:
-first stereo LD
-first 3D LD.
-any other first

The "museum" at Laserdisc Planet answers several of those questions . . .

http://laserdiscplanet.com/museum.html

. . . not sure if it's completely accurate though.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 23:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
-first stereo LD
-first 3D LD.
-any other first

You have to include DiscoVision releases in any of your 'firsts' because they were in every respect, LaserDiscs and the only thing that seperated them from later titles is that regardless of studio, the film was issued on the MCA DiscoVision label.

The first stereo title is a split because Saturday Night Fever and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were both available for sale on the launch day in December 1978. Both titles are also the first Dolby Surround encoded discs because MCA used the optical soundtracks for the discs and they were Dolby MP Matrix encoded. Basically all stereo LaserDisc's that had Dolby Stereo theatrical releases were Dolby Surround encoded on LaserDisc because the Dolby MP Matrix encoding system is 100% stereo and mono compatible so the surround encoding went along for the ride when transferred to home video - there was no reason for MCA or the studios to make a new master.

The first non-DiscoVision titles come from Paramount Home Video with 12 titles in June of 1981 - there's no 'first' title because Paramount released them all at once. Paramount considers "Grease" to be their first non-DiscoVision title but its not really since it was part of the group of 12. I have a framed LaserDisc of Grease that says First Paramount Home Videodisc and was presented to one of the producers of Grease - the actual content on the disc itself is a Japanese dog racing game - they just stuck a Grease disc label on a CAV disc and framed it.

The first stereo-only film releases on disc would be The Blues Brothers, Jesus Christ Superstar and The Wiz, all on DiscoVision. The reason they are stereo only is because they were 4-track mag films and DiscoVision just did a stereo mixdown of the 4-tracks, thus, no surrounds. Popeye and Dragonslayer from Paramount, although optical stereo, were in the VistaSonic process which used 4 discrete optical tracks along with a 3:1 noise reduction compression - the system was invented by Terry Beard, who also invented the DTS Digital Sound System. Anyway, both Popeye and Dragonslayer got simple stereo mixdowns for LaserDisc with no surround encoding.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 00:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:
I have a framed LaserDisc of Grease that says First Paramount Home Videodisc and was presented to one of the producers of Grease - the actual content on the disc itself is a Japanese dog racing game - they just stuck a Grease disc label on a CAV disc and framed it.

I find this inexplicably hilarious.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 00:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agreed... and weren't the early Paramount disks still produced by DVA but made by Pioneer Japan? The first Magnetic Video releases were even made in Carson...

What's the first US disk made that had no association with Discovision at all?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 01:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

happycube wrote:
Agreed... and weren't the early Paramount disks still produced by DVA but made by Pioneer Japan? The first Magnetic Video releases were even made in Carson...

What's the first US disk made that had no association with Discovision at all?

The Kofu, Japan plant was built and run by Universal Pioneer, which was a 50/50 joint venture between MCA and Pioneer Electronics. The first 1981 released discs from Paramount, Columbia and MagVid are mostly US pressed by DVA at the Carson plant, with a few being pressed in Japan - and DiscoVision was using Japan for some titles too, like The Wiz and Mel Torme/Della Reese - but these are still DVA titles since Universal Pioneer was co-owned by DVA. DiscoVision didn't shut down and sell everything, including their interest in Universal Pioneer, to Pioneer Electronics until May 1982, so after that date everything both US and Japan is Pioneer made. Pioneer did shut down the Carson plant for a short time in late 82 for refurbishment and so everything came from Japan for a short time, which caused problems because Japanese law forbid them pressing any R-rated titles that showed frontal nudity - so a title like Carrie could not be pressed in Japan - the Japanese release has the nudity covered up with video generated circles and squares.

Anyway, since mastering and pressing went on 24/7, there is no real way to identify the very first disc with no DiscoVision association since disc production was a continuous process.

As a side note, the first consumer Pioneer players, the VP-1000, LD-1100 and LD-660 are really Universal Pioneer players - at least those made until May 82. If you own one and look on the back there will be a little QC Passed sticker that has the Universal Pioneer logo which is the original MCA Disco-Vision triangle with the Pioneer tuning fork logo inside a circle in the triangle.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 01:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

publius wrote:
disclord wrote:
I have a framed LaserDisc of Grease that says First Paramount Home Videodisc and was presented to one of the producers of Grease - the actual content on the disc itself is a Japanese dog racing game - they just stuck a Grease disc label on a CAV disc and framed it.

I find this inexplicably hilarious.

It IS hilarious. I think they did it because they wanted the visible vertical blanking that a CAV disc shows - a CLV disc is just boring to look at. So they grabbed whatever was lying around. The dog racing game has scrolling text in Japanese and English that says "insert token to play" and its greyhounds racing. Its dead side is just the clear plastic glue-back like the CLV DiscoVision of Jaws and other titles had. Since Grease was originally announced for release on the DiscoVision label, it would have been cool if it was some kind of CAV test pressing of the first side or something. That's why I broke the seal on the back of the frame and took the disc off the backing - it was held on with hot glue - and played it to see what it actually was.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It would appear that this title, The Supernaturals (1986), is not on DVD or blu-ray.

Page 2 of 13 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next