It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:01

Page 7 of 24 [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Laserdisc Screenshot Thread
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 01:45 
True fan
True fan

A screen shot from The War of the Worlds (1953) [LV-5303-2] on my Mitsubishi HC6500U projector from a CLD-D703 routed through my Pioneer Elite VSX-53 which is equipped with a Marvell Qdeo video processor. The player has been jogged to display a still picture, noise at bottom. I am able to mask my 106" 16:9 screen with black curtains to accommodate 4:3 material. You can see my HT at bluray.com

Composite unaltered to projector, 480i.

Composite trans-coded to component to projector 480p.

Composite scaled to HDMI to projector, 1080p.

Last edited by bguzman on 29 Jan 2014, 00:47, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Main - CLD-95, LX-1000U W/AC-3 -> Faroudja NR Series -> Display
Backup - LX-900, CLD-D703

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 07:06 
Thought I'd compare those Wizard of Oz shots for reference:

Bluray/DVD (DVD left; Bluray right):
taken down

Laserdisc (from msgohan)
taken down

Notice Dorothy's red cheek looks less apparent on DVD (blends in too much with rest of skin; colors are overall pale and white has red tint problem). Laserdisc and bluray have it clearly red (same with lips). DVD also suffers lots of edge ghosting and compression artifacts (Dorothy's forehead appears distorted for example).

Last edited by Guest on 13 Aug 2014, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 06:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

One distinct advantage that Oz has over most LDs is that the OAR of the film pretty much matches the aspect ratio of the format.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 19:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Some great shots here. Wish I could pull my old Sony Wega out of storage and spin up a few discs, but I had to put that monster away to make room for a LCD TV. I get pretty good image quality from a CLD-99 and tweaked settings, but it just doesn't "pop" like it used to.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 18:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

screens from MOLDIVER vol.3 "LONGING" (PILA-1141A) i just took, using my 1988 PIO CLD-3030, running through a passive A/V switchbox.
from there, VIDEO feeding directly to my 46" LCD monitor, and AUDIO to my PIO VSX-D1S AVR,
no provisions available for use of the 3030's TOSLINK fiber output;

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/23769/PIL ... e3-Longing

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 19:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke, so you are cropping the top and bottom of the image from the LD?? otherwise you would have black bars on the sides.
also i see these verticle lines, are they there when you are playing the disc??
and did you pause the image or are you taking the picture while the disc is playing??
thanks, :D

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 21:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

no cropping, no processing, each photo is a straight unmodified shot of the video program in motion, no PAUSE,
and all NR in the monitor is always set to OFF.

every photo shown up above is exactly as my monitor displays every SD source i've ever run through it,
and SD sources are what i put through it most of the time...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 21:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Stretch mode.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 08:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The quality looks great, tasuke. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 16:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i know. what with all the horror stories i've heard, regarding how allegedly bad SD sources of any sort display
on an HDTV, whether LCD or PLASMA based, i went in to HD-capable monitor technology expecting the worst.

whether it is due to improvements in onboard SD video processing in the last few years of HDTV production
or otherwise, i know not. all i do know is that all my SD sources, to my eyes, look better on my current HD monitor
then they ever did on my very last SD CRT, a late-90's 32" TOSHIBA that served faithfully for a solid decade,
and was showing no obvious signs of tiring out when i did away with it.

i don't honestly expect this 46" INSIGNIA (BEST BUY label) to last half as long,
but at around 40lbs. unpacked, it is a video display that actually doesn't require two men and a boy to lug about.

still, i sure pray that companies don't skimp out completely on SD proc. by the time this thing conks out on me.
i've noticed that the most of the most recent models of HDTV from most mfrs. over the last couple years now
seem to have done away with legacy SD connections of any sort.

in that case, i'll have to hope that in the future i can scare up some sort of outboard Composite~HDMI converter, if such a thing does indeed exist...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 16:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some DVD recorders have composite in and HDMI out, and converter boxes exist but who knows about their comb filter quality.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 19:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that's good to know... :D

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 00:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I recently went through my Laserdisc-collection and found some movies I haven't tried out for a while. One of them were Hell in the Pacific [8028-85] which I remember looked quite bad on my old D505. Now, on my R7G, hooked up through my LX-70D, I was surprised that it looked quite good on my 42" plasma! I didn't take the time to transfer any video, so I just took some pictures with my crappy camera to give you an idea what the picture is like.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

EDIT: But the second side looks awful for some reason... Extremely edgy and seems to have very low resolution. I even think a VHS would look better.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 22:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I didn't have much to do so I made a quick comparison between Laserdisc, DVD och Blu-Ray. I know it's not the exact screenshots but it gives you an idea of the difference. However, the Blu-Ray capture is from Blu-Ray.com and was only available in 720p.

The Laserdisc capture hasn't been de-interlaced as you can see, but it has a bit more natural colors than the DVD imo. The Blu-Ray looks great in every way.

EDIT: Updated with new capture from Blu-Ray. Will hopefully update with new capture from Laserdisc.

Last edited by nissling on 04 Mar 2014, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 01:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
I didn't have much to do so I made a quick comparison between Laserdisc, DVD och Blu-Ray. I know it's not the exact screenshots but it gives you an idea of the difference. However, the Blu-Ray capture is from Blu-Ray.com and was only available in 720p.

The Laserdisc capture hasn't been de-interlaced as you can see, but it has a bit more natural colors than the DVD imo. The Blu-Ray looks great in every way.

Interesting. The Blu-Ray colours look a lot closer to the Laserdisc then the DVD (well, at least in terms of the skin tones). With some de-interlaceing and/or upscaling I think the LD would be better then the DVD but yeah the Blu-Ray easily comes out on top. Thanks for posting this comparsen between the 3 formats. I love those!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 10:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The DVD isn't very good for its format if you ask me, but there might be some better edition available (I have the Swedish DVD from 2002 or so). I've compared both on my setup with de-interlacing on the Laserdisc and scaling on both, DVD is overall a tad better thanks to the textures but I prefer the Laserdisc thanks to its awesome sound mix and color temperature. I also think the DVD looks a bit too dark (look at the hair and the shadows on his shirt for instance). I'll see if I can make some more comparisons.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 18:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

this is a good example. LD capture is a good representation of LD picture on a well above average LD setup. On the very best LD player(S2,X9,X0,S9 etc..),through a superb 3D adaptive comb filter, properly de-interlaced, scaled onto a calibrated reference display LD picture will look similar to the DVD capture here. Unfortunately still a notch below:( a little less color and slightly softer. If you try to remove LD grain to match DVDs 60db or better s/n ratio, your picture will be softer.
And the last picture here is the Blu-ray capture. this is where your dreams end:) You can capture every pit and land on the LD and construct them in digital in the very best way your picture will not look half as good as the Blu-ray capture.

note: comments on the LD colors(generally positive) are strictly preference. Technically DVD can carry more than twice color information than LD. Most LD setups can't even tap to the full spectrum of that limited color bandwidth due to inferior comb filters.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 19:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What substance said. There's only so much one can do with LD, but to me at least it's a fun hobby.

The flip side, of course, is when the master used to make the Blu-Ray is DNR'd and orangeteal'd to death. But with a proper master, like this Jurassic Park disk... there's no comparison.

---

I just did a back-of-the-napkin calculation, and you could fit six full resolution composite LD frames (edit: on a later LD player, that's 910x525 8-bit, including sync intervals) into one Blu-Ray frame (4 in luma, 1 in each chroma channel)

The compression, of course, would probably cause severe degrading, but technically they fit. :)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 07:17 
True fan
True fan

I just received my copy of Image, on the top. I thought I would see how it compares to my Image copy, on the bottom. I took some screen shots to show just how much the THX "optimizing" changed the color of the film. Here are just a few examples through side two, the differences are pretty obvious.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 17:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Japanese edition looks very warm and a bit noisier. I prefer the Definitive collection.

I've recorded LOTS of Lasedisc footage today and hopefully I'll be able to show you some captures and comparisons soon...

Page 7 of 24 [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next