It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:57

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Why do you collect Laserdisc?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 00:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Simple question.

For me I collect LD because of the packaging/cover art and exclusives to the format like different/unique versions of films or special features. Generic tittles don't really interest me because if they don't fit in to my criteria above, then most of the time in terms of picture quality and sound quality the DVD or Blu-Ray will be superior.

Well.... maybe not the DVD for sound, but defenetely for picture.

Post subject: Re: Why do you collect Laserdisc?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 01:45 
True fan
True fan

I already had a large collection when DVDs first appeared and saw no reason to replace it. Instead I opted to have both - if a dvd version
of something that I already had on laser that was quite a bit superior in some way I would buy it - but generally kept the laser anyway. And lots of stuff has appeared on dvd that never saw the light of day on lasers - especially tv series - that was one area in particular that lasers could never effectively compete in once dvds started becoming commonplace.

As ebay became a dominant force it was fairly easy to keep collecting lds even though they eventually stopped making them. I am not terribly concerned with which is better/why - they both have positive attributes and in any event are far better the previous tape formats that were available before lds. Why not have the best of both worlds and have both?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 03:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For me, I've loved the format since 1992 or so. They are much easier and cheaper to get today, as are good players. As the lddb slogan says, "Buying today what we couldn't afford 10 years ago"- but in my case, make that 20 years. :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 15:46 
The same reasons you mentioned (artwork and cover), but also because of no compression (huge difference with fast panning and/or lots of background movement like people crowds) and I guess the sound.

I found DVD more similar to SVHS dubs done with standard vhs tape (unless it's cartoons). This review of Fellowship of the Ring gives the best example http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/ You'll notice, even though the HD capture is downscaled to DVD resolution, the colors are a lot richer and there's still a lot more detail.

Haven't confirmed for myself yet but think laserdisc is something like those downscaled bluray shots. Also can't stand blu-rays with DNR, black crush, or other nonsense. Find it interesting how each minute of CAV ld playback can take about 1GB of space more or less.

Another reason is sound. Have the 1987 Vestron laserdisc release of Evil Dead 2 and no matter how many times I re-watch it, the sound still amazes me (can hear every nook, cranny and grunt without added dryness). Spent $80 more or less importing the uncut Evil Dead 2 mediabook edition Bluray from Germany (exclusive to Germany) and it didn't sound as good (it's in DTS-HD 2.0 audio). No joke. I don't remember the 2001 R1 U.S. DVD sounding as good either (nor the colors); or the Japanese LD from renaissance pictures haha. They all sound dry and harsh, and lack detail in comparison. The original LD release is like having a straight rip from the master source; think the sound is analog since I can hear motor noise from LD player when there's silence (can also hear bass from mics bumping and characters breathing at times which is pretty sweet). Headphones make differences easy to hear.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 16:49 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

It's one of those interesting artifacts from my childhood.
When I was young younger, my father had a laserdisc player and a CED player that he'd gotten from a rummage sale.
Unfortunately, he threw them both away! :cry:
He claimed that VHS was "Clearly superior" :eh: because he didn't have to flip any discs over to watch and entire movie.
Personally, I thought they were both fascinating bits of technology, so now that I'm ... older (in my 40s)... I've gotten some of them back.

(Also, my dad doesn't like the changed television format these days since when they show older programs they don't fill the entire screen.)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 18:52 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I collect for some anime and movies to have other versions with extras on it that isn't available anywhere else and a different cut or presentation like DTS , Also just to have a copy on my favorite format. Extras would be either on the disc or with the packaging. If they have different covers like Dark Crystal Dark Crystal, The (1982) [2596 AS] and Dark Crystal, The (1982) [ID6850HB] because I like both covers.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 19:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

this beauty (YMMV) started me on LD back around 2000/2001;

i had to drool over this exact image below for years;

before i obtained my first 3030 around 2007, exact original image; (IIRC i paid something like $60shipped,
with remote, manual and four LDs; (LEVIATHAN, ALTERED STATES, PLAYBOY CENTERFOLD and "HANGING PARTY" stand-up comedy)

- the player arrived with the pick-up jarred loose from it's nylon mounting to the transverse drive shaft,
and, while pressing it back into place rendered the LDP functional once more, it was clearly thrown out of adjustment
since the player often went into laser-lock around end of side.

fortunately not long ago i came across a nearly unused CLD 1030, 1988's step down model from my 3030,
and, since the two players share a majority of parts, including the entire transport assembly,
i was able to easily transplant it over to my good 3030 chassis,
resulting in a player that not only looks near minty, but operates at least as good as new.

a couple years before i obtained my 3030, i got my first functional LDP, a 1986 LD-838D,
and got a real sweet start on an LD collection via a 75% off sale at a mom-and-pop video store
that had a large and languishing LD selection. i bought a bunch of stuff for like $60 that day,
since the owner gave me additional savings due to how many discs i was purchasing.
i walked out with all six of the TOS-era STAR TREK films, both original edition and DIGITAL SOUND early 90's reissue,
FOX VIDEO box set editions of ALIEN/ALIENS and THE ABYSS, and a healthy stack of various single-platter releases.

then, around maybe 2008, i grabbed a sweet CL deal for around 50/70 Anime LDs and a CLD-S104 for like $80.
since it was local to my grandma's place, we made the deal over there and saved shipping hassles.

so far, between those foundation lot deals, and numerous single disc BAY purchases,
i must have around 150/175 titles to date, including the early/mid 90's STAR WARS DEFINITIVE EDITION box set,
generally considered the best pre-1997 SPECIAL EDITION cuts of the trilogy available to date...

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 05:12 
I had always been fascinated with laserdiscs though never NEVER could have afforded them in my youth. I remember our first VHS(some monstrosity in the mid 80s with a corded remote). Today, laserdiscs bring me nostalgia of that era AND the stunning artwork and covers for the discs makes me want to get as many as I can. They really are so much nicer than any other media from its day.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 05:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

like bifrostbear says.
i had a large collection of LDs before DVD came out.
then when it did i was disapointed about DVD, with the layer pause and major pixels on early ones.
so i stuck with LD.
and now i can't see the sense in buying everything over again just to have it on bluray when it will be out again in 3-5 on 3D bluray or 4K or 40K or :crazy:

i feel that i could spend 200-600 on a super high end scaler etc so i can connect my LD to HDMI and it would be cheaper than buying
a bluray player and all movies over again.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 17:23 
Mostly for the huge amount of material (especially music lds) not available on any other format. Also for the superb sound especially AC-3 and DTS laserdiscs. :thumbup: :)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 18:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I prefer to think of collecting LD's as a subhobby to a larger 'collecting movies' hobby.

I started collecting movies back when the only choices for movie formats were VHS, Beta and Laserdisc. Since movies on VHS were very expensive (~$80.00), I bought a VHS VCR, rented a VCR and a tape and copied the movie over to a blank tape. This was very illegal and I was not comfortable doing it. Besides, the copy was nowhere the quality of the original tape. I also copied movies that were broadcast by the 3 major networks (ABC, CBS and NBC). At that time, I could not purchase a LD player as their cost was beyond my income.

Fast forward a number of years and I bought a CED player in 1983. It was a Sears/Hitachi player. I then started buying CED's in place of copying VHS tapes as the price on CED's was much lower than VHS (~20.00). I still have this player.

About 20+ years ago, my late mother bought me an LD player for Christmas. It was a Pioneer CLD-980 model. You had to manually flip the LD and it only had line level audio outputs; but, it was a start. I then started collecting LD's with CED's and definitely enjoyed the LD's superior PQ over CED and VHS. I still have this player. It has since been replaced by a Pioneer CLD-D406 and a Sony MDP-600 players.

When DVD's came out, I bought a Phillips DVD player and started collecting DVD's. Their PQ was equal to or superior to LD's. My collection of DVD's got so large that I had to invest in a Sony DVP-CX850D 200 disc DVD changer to house them. It was easier to select a DVD using an OSD than going through piles of jewel cases.

Today, I collect CED's, LD's, DVD's, and HD-DVD's. I have no Bluray discs yet, even though I do have a BD player. The BD disc prices are too high when I can get DVD's for significantly less. When I look for a movie, I have to consider its cost which makes my decision as to which format to select. Right now, HD-DVD's and LD's are definitely the lowest priced for collecting (I just bought an HD-DVD of The Perfect Storm for $0.01 off Amazon).

Because of my collecting, I have many movies in numerous formats. Some examples are: Blade Runner on VHS, CED and LD; Poltergeist on CED, LD and DVD; Road Warrior on VHS, CED and LD; Mad Max on VHS and LD; Star Trek (The Motion Picture) on VHS, CED, and LD; True Stories on VHS, LD and DVD. I could go on ad nauseum; but, you get the idea. I even have some VHS tapes in their original shrink wrap: Predator, batteries not included and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure come to mind.

I also collect Japanese Anime on DVD. I have Chobits, Haibane Renmei, Lucky Star, Love Hina, Kamichu!, Excel Saga. Azumanga Daiouh, Diamond Daydreams, and Serial Expermients to name a few. Whenever possible, I try to collect anime in the limited edition boxes as it keeps the DVD's together.

Well enough of my rambling, I still enjoy collecting LD's as much as DVD's and CED's. I like to impress guests when I get an LD out. Most of them have not seen a laserdisc let alone watched a movie off one.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 20:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've never had an idea why I collect Laserdiscs. To me, it's like a drug. People who haven't tried it out think it's bad. Once you've tried it, you can't live without it.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Force of habit. Been collecting movies since 1990 when I got my own VCR in my bedroom.

Then got an LD player when I was in the Navy in 1994.

After I got a DVD player (actually a DVL-919) in 1999, I sold off my VHS collection.

Eventually got a blu-ray player as well last year..

I'm a movie collector and tech junkie so I like to compare the different formats with the same movie when available. Even though LD gets beaten by DVD often, I still tend to see some plus sides to LD (better framing, colors, sound, etc.) Even compared to blu-ray sometimes (the framing on Terror in the Aisles which was included in the Universal blu-ray release of Halloween II is different from the framing on the Japanese LD, That's Shock!--not saying it looks better! Just different framing.)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 22:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For me,I always saw Laserdisc in Empire magazines but could never afford them,nor the price for the films....so after selling my VHS for DVD,and then my DVD collection to begin buying blu ray,I decided to go and buy a laserdisc player,got 60 films and a good Dual Player all for £90.....bargain..!...That is when I learned the awful truth,Laserdisc is much closer to the cinema master than any other format out there bar 35mm....I have looked at the formats and come to this conclusion...Dvds and Blurays go through more encoding stages than laserdisc does,and as the video is analgoue,it isnt an interpretation of the material as the Digital formats are,it is the info from the tape copy they used.... which came from the 35mm print.....Blu rays may LOOK better visually,but then think all that jiggery pokey that it goes through to get it like that,plus it brings up alot of the prints flaws with increased resolution.... also the sound....most 80s,90s films were recorded in Mono/Stereo from the set,mixed into stereo/surround in the studio and then played back as a matrixed surround from the stereo source....on the Digital formats its all Digital Sound,and mainly has the 5.1 treatment given to it...which means extra sound has been created for its soundtrack...especially the LFE channel...falsely adding Bass destroys the original ambience of the films intent..nearly every film released on DVD and Bluray has not got the original Soundtrack mix that was heard in the cinema....but laserdiscs do...to me,Laserdiscs feel more like the Cinema than any other format......And that is why I collect and watch/prefer them over Blu Ray or DVD.....although sometimes the extras are better on Blu ray....!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 06:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

For the packaging/art. No other reason.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 09:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

It's been several years since I've purchased one, but I used to buy them for all kinds of reasons... PCM audio, not available on dvd, widescreen on LD but not dvd, exclusive extras, packaging, or cheaper price.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 15:21 
for the extras and some cuts aren't available anywhere else

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 19:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I always loved the format. I can feel the movie when I hold it... it feels real.
Saw LD's playing for the first time in 1990 at a friends place. knew about them, never seen one before....
so to Antwerp I was to go. The place to be in Belgium if you wanted those shiny discs.
Got my first cld-1950 player and Raiders of The Lost Ark.
I was sold that very day!
These days I like getting "the best possible" out of the format.
I've experimented with numerous players, settings , equipment and am not afraid to say,
It looks darn good for "old" technology

The covers are superb, the boxsets, the sound, the proud of ownership...
I can go on....
I do like my laserdiscs with the "best" sound possible so dts and Ac-3 are almost a must for me.
PCM or dolby surround have their charm but it's nice to hear my ld's compete with our today's format Blu Ray.

Laserdisc are fun to watch, handle and own
The outboard AC-3demodulator , the CC decoder ... it's a bit of nostalgia I guess just like I enjoy playing a record. Nothing can beat a record player IMHO
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 21:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

also i would like to add one thing.
you could never buy LDs at grocery stores :shock: :sick:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 05:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kris wrote:
I always loved the format. I can feel the movie when I hold it... it feels real.
Saw LD's playing for the first time in 1990 at a friends place. knew about them, never seen one before....
so to Antwerp I was to go. The place to be in Belgium if you wanted those shiny discs.
Got my first cld-1950 player and Raiders of The Lost Ark.
I was sold that very day!
These days I like getting "the best possible" out of the format.
I've experimented with numerous players, settings , equipment and am not afraid to say,
It looks darn good for "old" technology

The covers are superb, the boxsets, the sound, the proud of ownership...
I can go on....
I do like my laserdiscs with the "best" sound possible so dts and Ac-3 are almost a must for me.
PCM or dolby surround have their charm but it's nice to hear my ld's compete with our today's format Blu Ray.

Laserdisc are fun to watch, handle and own
The outboard AC-3demodulator , the CC decoder ... it's a bit of nostalgia I guess just like I enjoy playing a record. Nothing can beat a record player IMHO

kris sums up a great many feelings about the format.........
LaserDiscs are just so easy to love !
Who cares if moving may be next to impossible with a large collection !!!!
This Analog Kid will stay the LaserDisc course .............

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next