It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:25

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime you cut your teeth on
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 16:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:
Chobits was one of my earliest Anime DVD acquisitions as well. i bought the Vols. as they were initially released,
rather than waiting for a collected boxset, as i really should have. honestly, one of the best Anime series of the 21st century to date...

You can still get the limited edition box for Chobits off Amazon. If you buy it, you will end up with another copy of volume 1 (as I did). (I also have the Chobits, Character Song Collection CD.)

As an aside, I have the 3 DVD volumes of the Najica series. In case you have not seen this series, there are a lot of panty shots of the main women characters. After a while, it almost becomes comical. To show how shameless the producer was, included with the 3 volumes was a small package containing a white panty with Najica printed on it. Unbelievable!
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 00:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I've pretty much always been into anime. I watched Battle of the Planets every day before going to kindergarten (1979). After that it was Tranzor Z, Robotech, Voltron, Ulysses 3000, etc. Back then there was tons of anime on TV, they just did everything they could to Americanize it. There were also tons of anime related toys and models, mostly bootleg, in every toy department in America. Macross kits, Godaikin, Shogun Warriors, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 10:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sweden was a developing country for a very long time when it comes to anime (and manga as well) so I didn't have alot of it to watch in my early years. Pokémon was the first anime that I saw (although in Swedish). Aside from that, the first anime I saw in Japanese was Azumanga Daioh. I also remember me watching School Rumble right after, one of the funniest series I've ever seen.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 11:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

one of the earliest Anime VHS tapes I rented was Ninja Scroll....I think...
Just when DID Japanimation hit the USA? Ninja Scroll is from 1993.
I seem to remember stuff from earlier than that.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 15:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
Sweden was a developing country for a very long time when it comes to anime (and manga as well) so I didn't have alot of it to watch in my early years. Pokémon was the first anime that I saw (although in Swedish). Aside from that, the first anime I saw in Japanese was Azumanga Daioh. I also remember me watching School Rumble right after, one of the funniest series I've ever seen.

I have the 6 DVD set for Azumanga Daioh in the limited edition box. I watch it periodically as it is a good series. I also have the 6 DVD set for School Rumble in LE box ( another very good series). What was unique is that the box was made to look like a school lunch box. This was nice; but, it was made from stamped metal with a hinged cover (very imaginative).

So far as I know, neither series was produced on laserdiscs which is too bad
CED

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 18:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've never seen that release for Azumanga Daioh. I have the first release that had the artbox and the character pins that came with each volume in the first press which also had the mini movie.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2013, 12:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
I've never seen that release for Azumanga Daioh. I have the first release that had the artbox and the character pins that came with each volume in the first press which also had the mini movie.

My volume 1 of Azumanga has 2 of the character (cloisonne?) pins that you mention. How many pins do you have?
CED

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 02:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

pins were in Volumes 1, 3, 5 and 6 and all volumes have a 12 page booklet

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 10:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
pins were in Volumes 1, 3, 5 and 6 and all volumes have a 12 page booklet

I only have the yellow "father" cat and the brown "wild cat" kitten pins. It has been a long time since I bought the DVD set so I cannot remember if I bought any of the DVD's as used. If I did, that would explain why I am lacking the other pins. (I do have the 12 page booklets with each volume though.) The pins are a nice addition to the series.

Speaking of addins: I have the LE box and 4 DVD set for the anime Kamichu. Included with the DVD's are 10 pencil cards and a wall hanging. Some of the pencil cards are duplicates which explains why there are so many.
CED

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 10:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

dumbchemist wrote:
The first anime that I watched was Vandread that was broadcast by a local TV station.

Wow. I really wouldn't expect to see something like that on the air in this country!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 19:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
The first anime that I watched was Vandread that was broadcast by a local TV station.

Wow. I really wouldn't expect to see something like that on the air in this country!

The TV station broadcast 1 episode each morning between 6:00 AM to 6:30 AM which is not exactly prime time. I watched all 26 episode twice before deciding to buy the series. It came on 3 DVD's. I don't remember why; but, the 3 discs are loose (i.e. not in DVD cases). Come to think about it, I don't remember where I got them from (maybe E-bay?).
CED

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 22:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tsak wrote:
one of the earliest Anime VHS tapes I rented was Ninja Scroll....I think...
Just when DID Japanimation hit the USA? Ninja Scroll is from 1993.
I seem to remember stuff from earlier than that.

Well, if you wanna talk about what's the first Japanese animation to hit the US, you'd have to go all the way back to 1963 when Tetsuwan Atom was dubbed into English and broadcast in America as Astro Boy.

The one that really got the anime fandom rolling in the US was Star Blazers/Yamato as it was being shown at Star Trek conventions in the early 80s, and the fan interest in animation from Japan started to grow a lot from there

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2013, 05:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The first anime released directly to video with an honest translation, aimed at scifi fans and/or foreign film buffs was, I think, Aim For the Top!: Gunbuster (shortened to "Gunbuster") on VHS in...I want to say 88 or 89.

Before that anime usually only made it to the US because it was a cheap way to fill time on non-network-affiliated UHF stations.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 04:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
The first anime released directly to video with an honest translation, aimed at scifi fans and/or foreign film buffs was, I think, Aim For the Top!: Gunbuster (shortened to "Gunbuster") on VHS in...I want to say 88 or 89.

Before that anime usually only made it to the US because it was a cheap way to fill time on non-network-affiliated UHF stations.

I've never seen Gunbuster. Any good?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 04:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

hoyeboye wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I've never seen Gunbuster. Any good?

It's brilliant, one of my favourites. I'd say that you should be ashamed of yourself for not having seen it, but it was unavailable in the US market for years. (The old "Books Nippan" subtitles were inconsistent & otherwise not great, although head & shoulders above the ones they did for Dangaioh.) There are three Japanese LD releases, all of which I have (the box-set version is autographed by Mikimoto). It got a DVD release, plus Blu-Ray I think, not too long back, although they did make some changes in the audio cues, & the end of the final episode is altered due to the change in aspect ratio. Episode 6 is widescreen black-&-white except for the last few minutes, where it changes to colour & (assuming you're watching in 4:3 ratio) opens out to full-screen from letterbox.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 09:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Gunbuster is one of the best shows of all time, ever, period. Its tied with Giant Robo and FLCL as the best OVAs ever, IMHO. We will never again have a show like this one.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 10:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well in 2004 we got Gunbuster 2!
(Yes I agree it wasn't that good, but it's not total crap either).

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 17:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wow, i must have totally missed the boat on gunbusters and giant robo OVA :shock:
they didn't do anything for me :yawn:
i guess i just need older anime to get me excited.
but even gattchaman didn't do it for me, i was excited about the first few episodes but then it started draging out and was very long in the tooth.

galaxy express was long also but i could handle that.
so it's not the length or age, just what i do and don't like :think:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 07:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The first anime I was exposed to as an adolescent was Vampire Hunter D. In the early 90s, TBS Superstation used to show cult and genre films late night on weekends. Most of the violence, sex and language were censored in the live action stuff, but amazingly they used to show Vampire Hunter D, Fist of The North Star, and American animation like Heavy Metal and Wizards uncut.

TBS was awesome growing up. My parents ran a somewhat strict household where we didn't have HBO and Cinemax, nor could I rent R rated movies. TBS and TNT were the stations where I would stay up till 4am watching stuff like The Warriors, Conan The Barbarian, The Thing, Runaway Train, Van Damme and Chuck Norris movies, and of course The Beastmaster.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 18:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Before I knew what anime was I remember watching "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" and thinking that the way everyone looked was really INTERESTING. Speed Racer was another show I got into, thanks to reruns on Nickelodeon, which I could only watch while visiting relatives since I didn't have cable.

A few years later, when I was in middle school, Dragon Ball Z came out and while it was a big deal with most kids, I was a bigger fan of Samurai Pizza Cats, which aired in the same block of shows. Around this time Sailor Moon was also on TV, but in some ridiculous time-slot, like 6:30 AM, so I could only occasionally watch it when I woke up extra-early for school and had a little free time. DBZ and Sailor Moon was my first awareness of anime-as-anime. I heard that there were ORIGINAL VERSIONS in Japan with all kinds of crazy stuff because kids who knew more about this than I did claimed that they were TOTALLY FOR ADULTS over there and they had to cut out all the sex/violence for American audiences. (I'm aware that this isn't entirely true but it definitely made my middle-school-brain take extra-notice.)

The first anime I ever bought, pathetically enough, was probably the Panzer Dragoon OVA on VHS. I saw an ad in a magazine and flipped out that one of my FAVORITE VIDEO GAMES was made into an ANIME. After watching it, I somehow I convinced myself that it wasn't the worst thing ever, but even so I couldn't think of it was anything great. What I found really interesting were all the previews for other ADV releases on the tape. All this anime in different styles, with electronic music and Japanese singing! It was like a whole other world of animation! As time passed, I ended up getting tapes of The Legend of Crystania, Tekken: The Motion Picture, the original Dragon Ball, Sonic the Hedgehog: The Motion Picture, Devilman, and probably something else I can't remember. I always wanted subtitled versions, but dubs were less expensive and easier to find, so that's what I ended up with.
I watched Escaflowne on TV and befriended someone who had Akira on VHS. SO BEGAN MY STEADY DESCENT INTO ANIME-OBSESSION!

I think the first anime DVD I got was Ghost in the Shell. And the first anime TV series I collected was Hellsing. Getting all four discs felt like a serious collecting accomplishment.

By the time I got into laserdiscs, I was already super-hardcore into watching/collecting anime. I think the first anime LD I bought was Armitage III episode 4; it took a while to find the other three!

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next