It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:38

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Delivery issues you had with laserdisc players.
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 18:05 
I ordered a DVL-90 from a seller in the same state so it wouldn't have to travel cross country. The ahole neighbors next door have a grudge against me but im not going into that but anyway guess where a INCOMPETENT ups driver left it at? The tracking said delivered but it was not here. I raised hell with ups & in the morning a rep called & said it was at 4724 im at 4716 not knowing exactly where that no. was they brought it the next day. Come to find out you guessed it that it went to the non friendly idiots next door who of course could have called me but refused so it probably sat outside all night & who knows if it got kicked around. Im currently testing the player for any defects. Lets here some of your horror stories.

Post subject: Re: Delivery issues you had with laserdisc players.
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 18:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The first player I bought by mail was delivered damaged - probably dropped in transit, badly enough to bend the spindle, because it vibrated incredibly badly and the tracks for the head mechanism were distorted. Returned it and got a refund.

The second one was delivered damaged - the idiot who packed it had left the mains plug loose - a big British plug - and it was bashed against the plastic facia of the player badly enough to crack the plastic. Got a refund for that one too, but it took some doing.

Every other player I've owned, I've collected in person. But I've sold three by post and all of them arrived safely, because I used to pack delicate laboratory equipment as part of my job and know how to do it properly.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 20:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I think someone may have dropped the CLD-D501 that I got since was basically smashed. I contacted the person who sold it but I had to pay shipping back to him which was close to the same price I got for. I took it to a recycling place so it could be useful in some way. I posted a pic on here a long time ago..I'll see if I can find it.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 20:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is not about an LD player; but, a 200 CD Sony changer. I did a BIN on such a player on e-bay. I Paypal'ed the money to the seller. He shipped the player and I got it about a week later. The changer did not work: it kept dropping CD's when loading for reading. I notified the seller and got my money refunded. I then shipped the changer back and thought the issue was closed. A few weeks later I get a call from Federal Express wanting to know if I had the tracking number for the package. I looked and could not find it. They called back a week or so later and asked me if I would accept the player back. I thought a minute and decided that maybe I could fix it. I told them to go ahead and ship it to me. As a result, I have a non-working CD changer that I am going to try to fix. If I had had to pay for it, I would have refused it. I have downloaded the adjustment instructions and will try to fix it. Otherwise, it will make a good boat anchor (lol).
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 20:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I was most worried with the last LD player I bought--a Runco LJR-I. It was shipped with bubble wrap on the top and sides, but only a few layers of cardboard on the bottom.

Thanfully it still worked, but I was a bit scared when I opened the box.

One time I bought a Panasonic LX-900u off of ebay. The idiot seller (one of those USoldit! outfits--are those even still around?) shipped it upside down. I tried it out, but it only powered on. Wouldn't spin a disc. After some teeth pulling I got the seller to refund my money.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 20:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my first CLD-3030, back in '07 came from the BAY with remote, manual and 5 discs, and was said to have no more than 30hrs. usage.

it showed up, via FEDEX not long before X-Mas, and when powered up proved unresponsive,
with the CD-CDV-LD portion of the FL display there stuck perpetually flashing. tray would not expel, not a command worked,
from nether the front panel or remote.

i got to popping the top, and eventually got to fiddling with the laser-pickup's traverse mechanism.
i came to find that the laser assy. has a nylon T-arm that mates with a nylon retainer pawl
that rides on the screw-shaft responsible for the pickup's traverse movement,
and that two-part nylon linkage had jarred completely loose in shipping.

so, i snapped it back together, and the whole works automatically reset itself to nominal DISC-UNLOAD rest position,
and the player instantly came back to normal operating condition.

it never would track discs as well as i had always thought it should, often getting stuck in read-loops at difficult areas
of the occasional disc, and the laser itself often somehow getting literally stuck at the extreme outer end of it's travel,
so i assumed that that shipping issue caused alignment problems, most likely beyond my wherewithal to self-service,
and came across a little-used CLD-1030 (that managed to survive shipment flawless) and swapped out it's very sound and healthy transport assy.
resulting in a 3030 that looks almost new, and operates at least as good as the day i came off the factory line...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 22:41 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I suppose this would count as an issue:

When I won my first CLD-79 it didn't arrive until a time around Thanksgiving so I was at my moms place and being in an apartment that don't keep packages that long but luckily I arrived back and picked up and then sent it off to get service by Duncan and somehow I got it back in time before I had to move back to Moms because my dad got cancer and some other problems. I don't think I will let go of the player since I almost never got to use it. I am going to keep it as a main backup to the LDS2 when ever that comes.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 03:38 
Mint condition S2 won for $500 a few years ago, and it arrived with a pulverized remote and a huge dent in the back (the remote was loose in the box with the player, so double boxing did not help when such a heavy unit shifted against it in transit - thus the dent and broken remote). It didn't cost me anything (the seller took it back, paid for return shipping, and FedEx picked it up), but I would have liked to keep the S2...

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 15:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

A few years ago I won an inexpensive Pioneer player from Ebay for about £20 or so.
I paid the total due and the next morning received an email from the seller telling me it was no longer available so they would be refunding me.
I asked why and the guy said his son had dropped the player down a flight of stairs.
The bottom line was the son was ok but player was not!

On another occasion I won a Pioneer CLD-2950.
It was shipped to me in an cardboard box used to hold oranges that you see at the market with absolutely no other protection.
The player was actually jutting out the sides of the box.
Bizarrely the seller had attached two balloons to the outside of the parcel which got a laugh from my neighbour who had received the parcel.
Needless to say the balloons were not enough to save the player which didn't even power on. :oops:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 16:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
A few years ago I won an inexpensive Pioneer player from Ebay for about £20 or so.
I paid the total due and the next morning received an email from the seller telling me it was no longer available so they would be refunding me.
I asked why and the guy said his son had dropped the player down a flight of stairs.
The bottom line was the son was ok but player was not!

reminds me of when i stumbled on my grandma's staircase, sending my very first ever functional LDP,
a CLD-1080, careening out of my grasp to fly face-first into the bannister spelling total doom for the delicate plastic front bezel...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 03:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well I had one player that came in the mail. I think it was a cld-1080 model. Anyways when it was delivered, looking at it the top box flaps had been wet and then re-dried and the 2 underneath flaps were still partly damp. That when I realized the box was actually upside down, with my address on the bottom.

So the box must have got pretty wet, and when picked up during shipping, the player fell out the bottom of the box. So they put the player back in the box and turned it upside down for the rest of the shipping. Of course the player had a big corner crunch and damage, and didn't work, but being insured the seller refunded me.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 03:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dem' 1080's just don' get na' 'spect!!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 04:09 
UPS sub driver caused all my stress along with the worthless neighbor next door who took the time to call UPS to pick it up & bring it to me next door. I know it had to sit outside all night just lucky it didn't rain or it was 20 below then. I wont forget that so the answer will be NO if they ever ask me for anything!!!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 06:56 
LOL - This pretty much sealed the deal for me never buying a player off eBay.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 17:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

myrtle1beach wrote:
I wont forget that so the answer will be NO if they ever ask me for anything!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hcc1QvM2Q&feature=kp

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 18:42 
Fed ex this time. Well here we go again. Bought another DVL-90 from a seller because it wasn't selling. Got it today by fed ex well the driver rang the front door bell & I hurried & raised the garage door in about 10 seconds because I had a dog in the house who would run out the door when I opened it. I got to him in 20 seconds he said where do you want it since I have a car in the one car garage I said I would take it. I was NOT prepared for what happened next. This fker proceeded to drop the player right then & walked away. Guess you cannot win with ups or fed ex. Im currently testing out the player now.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 02:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When my HLD-X0 was sent from Manila to Berlin, those guys from FedEx just put the player / parcel right in front of my door while I was at work ! It was lying there for at least three hours and anybody could have nicked it in the meantime. I got really angry but was happy it was still there and that nobody stole it. In addition, I do not live in the nicest and safest neighbourhood of Berlin. How unprofessional.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 20:04 
True fan
True fan

confederate wrote:
When my HLD-X0 was sent from Manila to Berlin, those guys from FedEx just put the player / parcel right in front of my door while I was at work ! It was lying there for at least three hours and anybody could have nicked it in the meantime. I got really angry but was happy it was still there and that nobody stole it. In addition, I do not live in the nicest and safest neighbourhood of Berlin. How unprofessional.

Someone probably tried to steal it, but got a hernia upon attempting to lift it and let it go.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 22:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I purchased a CLD-07G from Japan. I've received lots of players from Japan and South Korea, so I wasn't particularly concerned. However, when I received the player - and I have no idea how this could have occurred - the tray had been shattered. Not just broken in one or two pieces, but literally shattered. Honestly, I will admit I think it was damaged before it was shipped and the seller screwed me over. I replaced the tray with one from a CLD-D704 I had junked and the player worked perfectly. Just this smashed tray. Very strange.

Interestingly, this wasn't the first time I had tried to get a CLD-07G player. The first one I purchased made it as far as customs and then vanished into nothing. No tracking updates, scan history, no parcel mysteriously showing up at my door. Just gone. I have no explanation how that happens. the seller did give me a full refund, so I was made whole, but the entire thing was odd.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 10:29 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

We had two players, one from US and one from JP both arrive with exactly the same drawer issue. Thankfully able to buy spare parts and fix them both but what are the odds!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next