It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ranma 1/2
PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I just got the remastered 1st volume of the Ranma 1/2 TV series from Viz video. I figured I'll never be able to get the LDs, so I got this instead (especially since I found it at Walmart for a mere $27.)

Problem is, while it's still in the appropriate 4:3 ratio, they anamorphically sideboxed it. Meaning that if you try to watch it on a 4:3 TV/Monitor like I do, your options are to watch it vertically stretched with sideboxes or window boxed (with a black border around the whole picture.) :crazy:

So yeah, not really worth it if you don't have a widescreen TV.

Guess I'll have to track down those Japanese LDs after all!!!

Post subject: Re: Ranma 1/2
PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:18 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I just got the remastered 1st volume of the Ranma 1/2 TV series from Viz video. I figured I'll never be able to get the LDs, so I got this instead (especially since I found it at Walmart for a mere $27.)

Problem is, while it's still in the appropriate 4:3 ratio, they anamorphically sideboxed it. Meaning that if you try to watch it on a 4:3 TV/Monitor like I do, your options are to watch it vertically stretched with sideboxes or window boxed (with a black border around the whole picture.) :crazy:

So yeah, not really worth it if you don't have a widescreen TV.

Guess I'll have to track down those Japanese LDs after all!!!

Does your DVD player have a zoom feature? Mine has one, and that usually works decently.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Doesn't look like it. Neither of my DVD players do.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 00:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that would be the new release. I hope to get the BD one sometime. I suggest to track down the first release though it either comes in a big (thicker) or later printings small (thiner) . I wouldn't mind getting the LDs but took awhile to get the DVDs I ended up settling for the a used copy of the OAVs. I would immediately get a BD release of the movies and OAVs before the series. Finally finished buying all the manga volumes last year just need to read.
NOTE: bought season 2 first since I saw 1 at my local anime club which is way 2 is bigger. also got the others later on when amazon or rightstuf had a sale. I might be the only one that has both movies and do enjoy both of them.

I have Digital Dojo VHS boxset because at the time I couldn't find the DVD set for a good price. Also have the Limited Edition Rumiko Takashi's favorite episodes VHS. they are packed away at the moment.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 15:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I had the Digital Dojo VHS set as well. Bought it when it first came out. Only US LDs were for the 1st for OAVs and DVD wasn't out yet.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 17:00 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

it looks like there are 41 volumes. would that cover all the episodes? there does seem to be special or extra LDs I guess it would be akin to bonus features on DVDs.

According to the DB it shows desperately seeking Shampoo and Like Water For Ranma as the US releases. I take it those are it? Do you know if it they were released toward the end when anime companies were shifting toward DVD or was it that they didn't sell well?

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 17:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm guessing they didn't sell as well as they'd like? I know I bought both of them right as they were released. Like Water for Ranma was released in '96 so it was right before DVD was coming out. It's possible that they saw that DVD was just around the corner and decided to not go forward with anymore LD releases. I know they were pretty quick out of the box with the DVD releases of the Ranma 1/2 movies.

Also I believe the company that published the LDs for Viz, Lumivision, stopped producing LDs in 1997. So that may have contributed as well.

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 22:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i actually considered picking up the very same set at my local wally-world, but chickened out on it.
i've too many other irons in the fire to take care of anyway...

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 16:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

As for more Ranma stuffs--I decided to watch some of the Ranma 1/2 OAVs after watching this remastered TV box set.

I plopped the 4th disc of this set . . .

. . . into my Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD/DVD-A/SACD player and watched this set for the first time on my Sony WEGA KV-40XBR800 and YIKES!!! So much cross-color and dot-crawl artifacting!!!! I have the player connected to the WEGA via component so there should be none of this artifacting. I always thought this set looked pretty good, but admittedly the first time I watched it, that was on a less than stellar DVD player and less than stellar SD CRT via S-Video.

So I'm guessing (like several other old anime on DVD releases) that they used some sort of a composite video format for the master (probably a Laserdisc?)

Anyone know if this re-release is a remaster or the same transfer?

I do plan to do a comparison with the US released Ranma 1/2 LDs that I have to see if the level of cross-color and dot-crawl artifacting is the same with the corresponding OAV eps in this set later on tonight.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 18:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Okay, so I got around to looking at one of the US Released LDs and the corresponding episodes on this OAV DVD Box Set. Looks like they used a better master for the first few episodes as opposed to the later episodes, as there was far far less dot-crawl and cross-color (almost none on the latter) on the DVD. However, where there was dot-crawl on the DVD, the comb filter in the WEGA was able to clean it up better than how it appeared on the DVD.

So yeah, until they remaster these OAVs, I'm gonna hold onto my LDs!!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 04:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For many early anime DVD releases, the same composite master tapes used to produce the LDs were used. LDs themselves would not have been used.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 13:08 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
For many early anime DVD releases, the same composite master tapes used to produce the LDs were used. LDs themselves would not have been used.

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid, but wouldn't that pretty much make the quality identical to the LD's, instead of it being worse?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 17:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tpgb12 wrote:
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid, but wouldn't that pretty much make the quality identical to the LD's, instead of it being worse?

All depends on what they used in their sub-mastering process. Good comb filters? Good TBCs? Probably not.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 04:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tpgb12 wrote:

Remember that you are now taking composite video, converting it to component, & MPEG-encoding it. There is always a loss of quality in the MPEG-encoding step, which (especially on just the sort of early DVD releases we are considering) has been known to result in "macroblocking", "mosquito noise", & other types of picture defect. Also, depending on how the chroma decoding is done, there may be a loss of picture quality, especially as hard-coded cross-colour.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 01:41 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
tpgb12 wrote:

Remember that you are now taking composite video, converting it to component, & MPEG-encoding it. There is always a loss of quality in the MPEG-encoding step, which (especially on just the sort of early DVD releases we are considering) has been known to result in "macroblocking", "mosquito noise", & other types of picture defect. Also, depending on how the chroma decoding is done, there may be a loss of picture quality, especially as hard-coded cross-colour.

So basically, it would pretty much turn out like this example I made from doing a snapshot of my Akira (1988) Laserdisc using composite video?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 17:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Just got a sweet deal off of Yahoo Japan for the Ranma 1/2 OAV LDs, so I look forward to comparing these again through my WEGA!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2015, 15:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So I finally got my hands on the LD of the OAV episode that looked so crappy on the DVD box set (the "Tunnel of Lost Love" episode.)

The DVD is slightly sharper, but full of noise. While the LD has none of that noise (at least through my LJR-I and WEGA.)

So now I'd like to find out if the later OAV DVD release was remastered at all.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]