It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:08

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Best Cinema Collection BOX SET
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 21:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I saw some movies up on ebay first, but they all had wrong obi. I first thought oh someone made an new obi becouse the old one was missing, and didnt think so much about it. But now on Yahoo I saw the box set:

Is this set here on lddb.com ? I want to know what this massive set cost new. Pretty cool set anyway, only in Japan they afford a box set like that, hehe.

I counted to 35 discs, so its a really massive set.

EDIT: The titles seem to be in lddb.com but not the box set ? It says promotional item in lddb. Bit the case is that shops splited these box sets and sold them individual, or the buyers throw the boxes. Its wierd that the release dates are different years according to lddb. Its either stock that the company wanted to get rid of or they had to been made in another year then marked on the movies.

Post subject: Re: The Best Cinema Collection BOX SET
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

WOW, that is a really cool set, too bad most of the films are classics and have been re-issued to death.
so the value of the set is probably next to nothing :( and shipping will be more than any value to the set :(

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 22:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Are you sure this is actually a "box set" and not just a shipper full of a bunch of titles from the same publisher? Does it have a catalog number on the outer box?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 23:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Are you sure this is actually a "box set" and not just a shipper full of a bunch of titles from the same publisher? Does it have a catalog number on the outer box?

We cant see. But the lack of barcodes and price on the invidual titles also indicate tht they are from a box set and not sold seperate... So my guess is that its a box set. And the big box do have best cinema collection printed. Very unlikely to have a outer box with that printed...

http://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_sear ... lection=35

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 23:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
WOW, that is a really cool set, too bad most of the films are classics and have been re-issued to death.
so the value of the set is probably next to nothing :( and shipping will be more than any value to the set :(

I think it cost 110 usd to ship, with sea. and the titles are wort 2 usd each, hehe. Maybe 5 if you are generous, haha. Still if its an box set then its prob. the most expensive and largest non-anime set, right ?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

johan184 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

We cant see. But the lack of barcodes and price on the invidual titles also indicate tht they are from a box set and not sold seperate... So my guess is that its a box set. And the big box do have best cinema collection printed. Very unlikely to have a outer box with that printed...

Lots of shipper cartons from Japan have relatively ornate and specific printing and logos on them. Its really common. When you buy one of those huge anime TV box sets they almost always have a unique outer shipping carton. When they ship, for example, a 6 pack of some CD or whatever, the outer box often identifies what's inside.

Do you have a higher quality pic? I ask because I can't see if there are prices or not here or not. I do see they have obi, which is very uncommon for box sets. Its also a very ghetto box for Japan, or anywhere really. If they don't have prices and codes and such I'd still assume it was a promo thing rather than a retail box set. I've never see any Japanese LD box with a box that simple and crappy.

If you can find another pic of the outer box, if it is a retail box set, then it will have the price, catalog number, etc, on the outer box.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Tetsuwan Atom Astroboy: Limited Deluxe Edition (1963) [SF220-1700]
this set has just as crappy of inner boxes, just 5 plain boxes inside the shipping carton.

so it looks pretty much like this best cinema set, could possibly have an outer display case/box like the tetsuwan set has :think:

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
johan184 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Lots of shipper cartons from Japan have relatively ornate and specific printing and logos on them. Its really common. When you buy one of those huge anime TV box sets they almost always have a unique outer shipping carton. When they ship, for example, a 6 pack of some CD or whatever, the outer box often identifies what's inside.

Do you have a higher quality pic? I ask because I can't see if there are prices or not here or not. I do see they have obi, which is very uncommon for box sets. Its also a very ghetto box for Japan, or anywhere really. If they don't have prices and codes and such I'd still assume it was a promo thing rather than a retail box set. I've never see any Japanese LD box with a box that simple and crappy.

If you can find another pic of the outer box, if it is a retail box set, then it will have the price, catalog number, etc, on the outer box.

I wouldnt have made a thread about it if I know if this was a box set. Thing I know, exclusive promo versions are not common in Japan. They mostly promo stamping the commercial version. I dont how it is with movies but in music it not as all common to have printed outer boxes to just ship 1,2,3 individual titles.

If its not a box set, then my vote goes to that it is some kind of movie club releasing. That might explain the new obis, different release years and the lack of barcodes and price.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... n112134552 mail and ask, if anyone speek japanese.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 09:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like we already have 24 of these 35 referenced. They all have xxxA for serial and were initially reported as "promo" due to the lack of barcode and price.

Collection = 20th Century Best Cinema Collection
http://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_search=*&adv_reference=&collection=35

They should all be removed and kept in the boxset entry but given there's a high probability the set was broken over time and discs are floating around...
Plus I don't know the reference of the boxset and Google couldn't find anything quickly about it.

Julien

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 09:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What seems to be on the picture more looks like a shipping box, i.e. a cardboard box and not an LD BOX with artwork etc.
I have shipping boxes like this with several japanese releases, but they all included an LD BOX inside the shipping box,
and not just lose discs in jackets, or several small shipping boxes inside one large shipping box.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 11:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think its either a movie club thing or a cheap box to get rid of overstock movies, becouse like I said, its the only reason why there is no prices on them.

I dont know if I agree that it was common to make cardbox boxes with prints unless it was for some kind of set.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 20:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, it is. It totally is. It's done with LDs, CDs, video games, and even model kits. Virtually any product shipped today will have a carton that has printed on it what's inside, but in Japan they tend to use more graphics.

You do bring up a relevant point though. The obi are different. If they were overstock then they'd have to reopen them and insert the new obi, which seems silly. Then there is the fact that most JP LDs have the price on the sleeve itself as well, meaning that you'd need a new jacket. And for a budget series like this?

I think promo is the most likely answer, or possible a mail order thing. I've seen a shitload of retail LD boxes from Japan and they don't look like this. You'd never impress Japanese customers of the 90s with a box like that. It would have to cost at least 100,000 yen. Giving people a box like that for a $800 box set would just be insulting.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 20:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Btw, there are several of these discs for sale here. Does anyone have a HQ scan of them? All the pics on LDDB are just slightly too low quality to read.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 23:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Btw, there are several of these discs for sale here. Does anyone have a HQ scan of them? All the pics on LDDB are just slightly too low quality to read.

as with cds, the price must be there, just like on books. Both with and without vat. I am pretty sure thats apply even if it was for some kind off mail order club/order.

A new interesting thing. I just thought that the new cat number was an added A on the obi cat, but after finding one on urabanchou. They actually changed the sleeve, meaning they at some time must have edited the artwork just to make it:

I think just becouse I write the word BOX you think its some kind of exclusive package. Think of it as a SET. A set off classics offered for a special price. all 25 movies. Another point is that almost all the ones for sale are from the same seller, same on the guy that sold them on ebay, he had like 20 at the same time. This indicates that they where together. Of course everything comes in a package, but they done make a big box with Movie classics printed to send 1 or 3 title orders, that doesn't make sense.

Against promo, it doesn't actually say promo anywhere. And why would they start making new sleeves and new cat numbers just for a promo. And if they done promo stamp them, they have to pay full license and fees to make them, which is a huge cost.

My guess still is that they made these, Later then the original dates. Now I can see that it wasn't overstock. Maybe they just wanted money, took pre orders for a classic movie set and made 1000(or something) of each...

Anyone know japanese ? Maybe there says anything on the obi. It looks like it says something about the Best cinema on the backside of the obi...

Last edited by johan184 on 23 Jul 2014, 23:25, edited 2 times in total. _________________
R7G, DVL-9, CLD-97 | H/K AVR 260| Optoma HD200X | KEF KEF KHT-3005SE 5.1 & ELIPSON PLANET L

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 23:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

When looking at the regular sleeve, its not at all the same on the back actually. They seem to have overlayed the original info with a black bar with the new.

On rain man, its only 4 something instead of 5.

7... Gaslight has 2...SO Im guessing some kind of club where you could maybe subrscripe to maybe ?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 01:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That numeral is the number of academy awards won.

I can read some Japanese, but the scans aren't very good so some kanji are just blobs. That being said, I don't think the question of "WTF is this?" is answered on the jacket anywhere. I don't see any evidence of it being a promo.

A good pic of the outer box would probably explain everything.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 09:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Pretty sure this is just a box of NOS copies of the 20th Century Best Cinema Collection releases. At the most it's a promo set of some sorts, but I'm thinking that might be a stretch since it'd be very rare for them to still be sealed if so.

Well, unless they were meant for store display or something? Who knows. I wouldn't mind that copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's, though, that cover is rather nice.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 11:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

hauntmedoitagain wrote:
Pretty sure this is just a box of NOS copies of the 20th Century Best Cinema Collection releases. At the most it's a promo set of some sorts, but I'm thinking that might be a stretch since it'd be very rare for them to still be sealed if so.

Well, unless they were meant for store display or something? Who knows. I wouldn't mind that copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's, though, that cover is rather nice.

100% sure its not promotional... No way they release for promotional lika that without it clearly stands on the product...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 00:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

johan184, update Japanese, The Towering Inferno cover to the site as that cover is not on the database expect for early USA letterbox and later THX ld pressing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next