It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:36

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro)
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 04:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro) (1979) [TLL 2473]

can anybody else verify that this really has a Japanese track on the digital????
I just got around to watching my copy and this only has English on 1L and all other Score & Effects on 2R.

all my players are working fine and the disc is the correct one that is supposed to be in this set.

Post subject: Re: Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostr
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 11:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google'ing on the reference number shows a number of anime encyclopedia mentioning "English only" for audio.
Probably a mistake or a confusion with the DVD?

Julien

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 15:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know others on the forum own this disc, that's why I posted this.

strange to see this Japanese disc in English with no subtitles or anything else :problem:
it does have a booklet with page by page details of each scene in English and Japanese.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 04:52 
True fan
True fan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181477448798?ss ... 1423.l2649 This box-set actually sold very recently. I wish I had money to bid on it, then...

Also, I find it a bit hard to believe that it only has the Streamline dub. Did you check the analog soundtracks?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 04:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes that is very cheap.
I actually though you said you had a copy of this box set tpgp12, or was I dreaming?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 04:57 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
yes that is very cheap.
I actually though you said you had a copy of this box set tpgp12, or was I dreaming?

I have the 1-disc 1998 release. It's only in Japanese, but I still love the disc so much.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2014, 06:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just checked my copy; I can't find any Japanese audio. Where did you see there was a Japanese track on digital? On the back of the box, it says "Mono/Multi Audio" and a bunch of text I can't read. Tested with DVL-700 using RCA analog audio out, and the TOSLINK Optical digital out.

Also, is there a black-out sticker on the rear of your box, lower right corner next to the "Digital Audio" logo?

rein-o wrote:
Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro) (1979) [TLL 2473]

can anybody else verify that this really has a Japanese track on the digital????
I just got around to watching my copy and this only has English on 1L and all other Score & Effects on 2R.

all my players are working fine and the disc is the correct one that is supposed to be in this set.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2014, 13:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hoyeboye wrote:
I just checked my copy; I can't find any Japanese audio. Where did you see there was a Japanese track on digital? On the back of the box, it says "Mono/Multi Audio" and a bunch of text I can't read. Tested with DVL-700 using RCA analog audio out, and the TOSLINK Optical digital out.

Also, is there a black-out sticker on the rear of your box, lower right corner next to the "Digital Audio" logo?

yes, that sticker may be for the CX or something like that, I didn't take it off.

it said it on the database but Julien removed it I think right after he posted ;)
and even if you don't have toslink / digital optical you will still be able to select them as long as your player can play digital.

the LD-S1 doesn't have Toslink but you can still select the digital tracks.
but some older players made before digital audio won't be able to play those tracks.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2014, 14:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember having some issue w/ digital/analog a few years ago and resolving it with using the digital input on my receiver, but I'm probably recalling incorrectly.

A quick commentary on this disc. I love the idea of this disc as an educational tool. How cool would it be to buy a great movie dubbed in a foreign language with a translated script booklet to help with learning a foreign language. They even have a list of idioms in the back of the book! This is still one of my favorite discs in my collection.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 01:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i believe when i had the CLD-R7G it had that issue, you needed the toslink hooked up to make sure you were able to select the 1L 2R digital channels.
that's sort of why i started the topic to make sure i wasn't going crazy. the disc i had issues with in the past was song of the south with the digital
audio.

so i wanted to make sure it wasn't that issue again.

and yes, its very cool that they did this release, I've read about it but never really cared too much for lupin, but now that i have it i'm glad :D

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 19:54 
True fan
True fan

hoyeboye wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I remember having some issue w/ digital/analog a few years ago and resolving it with using the digital input on my receiver, but I'm probably recalling incorrectly.

A quick commentary on this disc. I love the idea of this disc as an educational tool. How cool would it be to buy a great movie dubbed in a foreign language with a translated script booklet to help with learning a foreign language. They even have a list of idioms in the back of the book! This is still one of my favorite discs in my collection.

It would be very interesting to use this as an educational tool, but there's a problem. I NEVER watch dubs because they almost always are nowhere near as good as the original Japanese soundtrack, and I am also trying to learn Japanese, so English dubs don't help with that.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 21:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

tpgb12 wrote:
It would be very interesting to use this as an educational tool, but there's a problem. I NEVER watch dubs because they almost always are nowhere near as good as the original Japanese soundtrack, and I am also trying to learn Japanese, so English dubs don't help with that.

Might be fun when you start trying to read Japanese, but this dub is lacking over the Manga Entertainment dub (see earlier rants for more info). I'd be curious to know how they explain some of the idioms.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 14:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For those who don't own this disc, here's a little gift in the form of a PDF.

High quality booklet 66MB
Low quality booklet 7MB

Enjoy!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 04:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hoyeboye wrote:
tpgb12 wrote:

Might be fun when you start trying to read Japanese, but this dub is lacking over the Manga Entertainment dub (see earlier rants for more info). I'd be curious to know how they explain some of the idioms.

It's always funny watching English language LDs with JP subs. The Japanese translations are pretty bad on all the stuff I have. I can't stand watching subbed Japanese movies because the translations always bug me (we have a foreign language TV station and cable channel version) but Japanese translations of English LDs I have are just as bad! The only English language LDs I have are the Bon Jovi LDs. I only have the US Star Wars Trilogy box so I can't tell what translations of an actual movie are like, I will get the JP box one day. It's the only live action LDs I own or want. I'm no Star Wars geek but I grew up watching those movies in the 80's (I still remember going to see Return of the Jedi on opening day Boxing Day 1983 when I was 5) and I do love them. I hate the basterdised versions!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]