It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:16

Page 4 of 5 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "laserdisc I got signed by ..." thread!
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014, 21:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Got a few signatures while at Dragon*Con. Here's Time Bandits signed by Terry Gilliam . . .

And here's The Princess Bride autographed by Cary Elwes . . .

Elwes' reaction was awesome as he had not seen that release of the movie, and he was pouring over the notes inside the gatefold. He even said, "I wish I had seen this before I wrote the book!" (he was promoting his up coming book, As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 00:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Got a few signatures while at Dragon*Con. Here's Time Bandits signed by Terry Gilliam . . .

And here's The Princess Bride autographed by Cary Elwes . . .

Elwes' reaction was awesome as he had not seen that release of the movie, and he was pouring over the notes inside the gatefold. He even said, "I wish I had seen this before I wrote the book!" (he was promoting his up coming book, As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride)

OMG - Terry Gilliam .....
You are a blessed man ! ! !

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 18:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Not so much blessed as determined. He only had one autograph session at Dragon*Con, at 2:30PM on the Sunday of the con. So of course to guarantee my getting an autograph, I went to get in line around 11AM!!!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2014, 23:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My favourite signature was getting Robert Picardo's on both my copy of The Howling and one of the Japanese box sets of Voyager. He was astonished at the Voyager box set as he had no idea it was done on laserdisc and he signed all 6 discs from my season 5 part 1. A seriously lovely bloke.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 02:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

roger wrote:
My favourite signature was getting Robert Picardo's on both my copy of The Howling and one of the Japanese box sets of Voyager. He was astonished at the Voyager box set as he had no idea it was done on laserdisc and he signed all 6 discs from my season 5 part 1. A seriously lovely bloke.

wish stargate atlantis was on LD too. I had hard time deciding whether I liked Picardo's character, Rodney or Carlson more.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 03:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Got a few LDs autographed recently at Chiller Theatre (I hate this convention, but they always have a great guest list):

Got this one autographed by Noah Hathaway (played "Atreyu" in his youth) for a friend whose favorite movie is The Never Ending Story (gonna frame it and give it as a Birthday gift):

This one I got autographed by Erica Gavin who played the titular (hehee, "TITular") Vixen!. She's up there in years, but was nice to talk to about Russ Meyer:

Got this Pocahontas LD Box autographed by the voice of Pocahontas herself, Irene Bedard. She was really nice and made a comment that one of her movies has ONLY been released on Laserdisc!:

Now, I was thinking of getting my LD of The Sword and the Sorcerer autographed by Kathleen Beller, but I got this really pretty shot of her on this German lobby card from the movie, so opted for that instead. Perfect choice as she was crazy happy to see this shot as she hadn't seen it before and even asked if she could take it and show her publicist to see if he could find the shot for her (she only had one shot on her table for autographs from TSATS--and even she said it was crap!)

Got a pic with her too (she's tiny as I'm only 5'6"):

Lastly, I forgot to bring my It's a Wonderful Life LD box with me (I'm a dumbass) so I got this shot autographed by Carolyn Grimes who played "Zuzu":

Hopefully, the next Chiller won't have as many great guests as I don't want to go back.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 03:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Nice.

What's bad about Chiller Theater? I have a friend that goes to Monster Mania every year, to me it just sounds like too much waiting in line but I'd like to go to one of them at some point.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 04:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Chiller just has way too many attendees for the tiny hotels they hold their events in. So it's always crowded as all hell.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 11:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sadly "Justice" came too late to the music industry to ever be on LaserDisc (their first Album "Cross" was out in 2007) but, the moment I heard they would be mixing live in Singapore on August 15th, I made it my mission to have them sign my 3 LPs!

And they, very kindly, did on Tuesday!
(and also let me in the VIP/Artist lounge area and even gave me a tequila shot!)

https://www.discogs.com/Justice-/release/998281
https://www.discogs.com/Justice-Audio-Video-Disco/release/3185083
https://www.discogs.com/Justice-Woman/release/9097846

Attachment:
Jx3.jpg
Jx3.jpg [ 70.95 KiB | Viewed 6335 times ]

Next artist scheduled for signature will be the 2000's JPOP band "Do As Infinity" coming to Singapore in September.
But this one won't be hard to get since I bought the "VIP Meet & Greet" ticket :-P

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 16:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Got me this signed Laserdisc from Tom Cruise on the Japanese Top Gun Disc.Got these one in Person in Berlin!

Attachments:
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG [ 89.48 KiB | Viewed 6289 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 16:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
Next artist scheduled for signature will be the 2000's JPOP band "Do As Infinity" coming to Singapore in September.

Nailed it!
Attachment:
IMG_9566.JPG
IMG_9566.JPG [ 149.15 KiB | Viewed 6239 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 09:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Awesome stuffs :clap:

I wish I could get hold of Daniela Bianchi for signing From Russia with love, but I believe it's a hopeless mission :(

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 09:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Reading this, I remembered a little story, when I was like 11 or 12, I almost got the Star Wars boxset I had signed by some of the cast.

There was a small SW convention being held near my town (very uncommon thing to have in this part of the country).
I remember having packed a few things in my dad's car to get signed, like the LD boxset, prequels dvd (didn't know wich actors were coming), and even some games.

So, anyway when we got here, I remember being quite surprised by the size of the thing, it was ridiculously small, like maybe 100 square meters top. And there was like only 5 or 6 small actors from only the OT.
I remember there being Jeremy Bulloch, the actor who played Admiral Piett and I think the actress who played jabba's green twi'lek, don't remember any of the others. The look on their faces though, that I remember, they didn't looked very happy to be here :lol:

Thankfully, the entrance was free, but the actors were charging something around 20€ per autographs, there were also selling already signed small photos of themselves for 25 a piece.
So we didn't got anything signed by them but I still had a fun day nonetheless.
I remember seeing a massive miniature set piece of Mos Eisley full of SW action figures, really impressive. I also recall talking a lot with all the cosplayers and taking pics with them, I remember having taken one with two beautiful ladies, having Padmé in one hand and Leia in the other (lucky me :D )
But sadly I lost them when I had to move...

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 14:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’d be absolutely floored what some people charge for autographs now. I got a Kawamori SD VF sketch for free...but Will Riker wants $100 for a sig? Please.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 18:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
You’d be absolutely floored what some people charge for autographs now. I got a Kawamori SD VF sketch for free...but Will Riker wants $100 for a sig? Please.

Oh don't even get me started, I was at an FX show over or almost 20 years ago now.
Went to get some autographs like I would at comic shows where they are free, actors were charging 40 and 60 bucks.
I think James Hong wanted 40 at the time, I decided to not bother with his signature on the LD.

Adam West wanted 60 and when he found out I was setup as a dealer who just wanted my batman figure signed for myself
it was 70.

Don't forget this is the only way these people can make money off their pop culture crap films from 40+ years ago.
They don't get royalties or any kickbacks, they didn't think these films were going to be anything 40 years later.

Now they get to work at wallyworld or conventions to sign for money.
Then they can get their hot water heater for their house.

I was told by Hong the free signatures are for the big names that get their way paid with hotel and food etc.
The smaller names have to pay their own way to get to the show and that's why they charge.
So will riker must have to pay his own way to sign your stuff and that's why he charges.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 20:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

I would not pay a single cent for an autograph, no matter who it is. I once met Jean-Michel Jarre at a press conference in Berlin and he was kind enough as to sign three record covers for
me, for free, and he is one of my favourite artists / musicians in the world but still I wouldn't pay a single cent if he had asked me to pay for it.

Why pay for a goddamn signature ? Come on. What is wrong with those people ? Are they that poor ? People should not support this kind of rip off.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 21:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Some of them absolutely are that poor. There is very little social security in the US so when an artist becomes too old to work...they may have absolute squat. These cons literally save lives.

However Wil Riker is not in that category.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 21:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, there are actors like Gil Gerard of the old Buck Rogers TV show that get little to no work anymore and absolutely live off the autograph/appearance fee circuit. The shows they are famous for from 40 or more years ago don't pay much if anything in residuals. Riker got to do some big Hollywood productions and lots of other work - he's a millionaire - so paying for his sig is pointless.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 02:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

I take it that is Jonathan Frakes, the actor who played Wil Riker?

$100..... really?

:shock:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 02:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It was a hypothetical example, but yeah. Stars of that caliber are maybe $150-200.

Page 4 of 5 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next