It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:13

Page 2 of 4 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP disclord
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 04:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Seems to me his forum posts should be kept in his name, at least. But I could see problems with PM's...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 04:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wow, very shocked to read this, I didn't think he was that bad.
knew a little about his situation with having to move out of his place but nothing more than that.

very sad :(

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 05:11 
Oh NO!!!! We got to be good email friends and shared a lot of info. I'll miss the contact with him :cry: :cry:
Hopefully he's with THE disclord :thumbup: :thumbup:
RIP my friend.....

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 08:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh my God, this is terrible news !

He seemed to be a true expert on the subject. He knew a lot about VHDs, too.

I talked to him about him once :( So sad.

May I ask how old he was ?

May he still watch Laserdiscs in heaven !

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 09:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Very sad about his passing.......
A very knowledgeable member who took the time to give many insights and technical explanations for all to learn from.
Rest in Peace Brother ........
Thank you for all that you gave to us here at the Forum .....

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 11:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He left a treasure chest of technical articles and extracts:

http://issuu.com/disclord
http://www.LaserVisionLandmarks.com

Maybe I should mirror them for the archives.

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 11:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What sad news. I never knew the man personally but reading his posts here over the last few years it was clear he was an unparalleled authority on laserdiscs, especially the early years of the format. But more than that he always came across as a really decent guy and would always take time to answer questions and share knowledge with anyone who'd ask. He will be sorely missed.

admin wrote:
Very sad day indeed.

I validated all his updates and will let his account get automatically removed after 380 days. His last login was 26 days ago.

All his forum posts will remain under "guest" when the account is finally removed.

Julien

Would there be any way to keep his posts displaying under his name after 380 days? I understand it's against the way the forum works but DiscLord was exceptional, I'd often find myself searching for post specifically by him.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 14:56 
True fan
True fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Would there be any way to keep his posts displaying under his name after 380 days? I understand it's against the way the forum works but DiscLord was exceptional, I'd often find myself searching for post specifically by him.
I second this request. Ty's online contributions are more-or-less his legacy. "guest" didn't write those posts, "disclord" did. I think his case is exceptional enough to merit special treatment.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 17:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sad sad sad, rip. Hope his archive dont get trown away now, it should be kept. But things are not everything.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 18:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

acuozzo wrote:
hippiedalek wrote:
I second this request. Ty's online contributions are more-or-less his legacy. "guest" didn't write those posts, "disclord" did. I think his case is exceptional enough to merit special treatment.

I agree it would seem the least we could do as a memorial to disclord so his legacy lives on.
Perhaps a dedicated section called 'Disclord Legacy' where all the key posts can be archived for all to see.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 19:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, he was a very valuable source of LD info, one of the best.
is there a way to keep him locked and his topics without removal or is this just in the program.
I really hope there is a way to keep his name to the topics that he contributed to.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 20:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

hippiedalek wrote:

^I agree this should be achieved and saved.

I spoke to Ty, several times last year summertime 2013, via (Skype on webcam) when he was admitted to hospital for diabetes and looked a bit frail but still cheery with a sense of humor. I sent LDDB pm several times and before was it early this year he had break-up with his boyfriend and was in slow process of moving. Bummer what a lousy year for him.

I was only thinking last week if Ty, was okay and the moving was going okay as I checked his last log-In that was last month and he told me last pm that he would back on soon as possible when the move back home gone smoothly or something like that?

He's family will miss him his closest friends are going to miss him. quadraphonic forum and many more forums will miss him, LDDB is going (I'm slowly sobbing and tearing up here) will gong to miss and I'm going to miss him and talking face to face and hearing the voice of the individual is a lot different than reading text of words.

R.I.P. Ty, the lord of disc, disclord. :( :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 22:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

For the two years I have been active on this forum, I have get to known Disclord through topics as an informative person that knew a lot. I didn't know him personally, but I remember he joined some of my topics and gave great answers.
It's really sad that such a person like him passed away, my thoughts are going to his family.
Rest in peace, Mr. Disclord!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 23:41 
True fan
True fan

Yes, sad indeed when I heard the news late Thursday evening and was lost for words to say about Ty.

We have last spoken over the phone in May and early June and he told me himself he was having a lot of up and downs and I knew by his voice.

Ty always liked the fact when I referred him as the Walking LD Encyclopedia when he would call. I always liked the the fact that he was never bias towards anyone in this hobby and respected everyone for who they were. TY never asked for anything within reach or out of reach as be just wanted to be acknowledged in this hobby.

I will miss the good talks with him and the not so good(depressed conversations) with Ty. :(

R.I.P my friend Ty,

Duane W Cummins

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 01:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

His profile now says the user entry no longer exists, so maybe Julian's already fixed it. I just saved off all his posts, just in case. Good stuff, and a good memorial.

This is the link to start: http://forum.lddb.com/search.php?st=0&s ... lord&ch=-1

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 20:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Although I didn't know him personally, I always enjoyed reading his highly informative posts here. He obviously was a truly learned gentleman, and will be greatly missed by all. I have no doubt that he had probably forgotten more about the technical aspects of this hobby than I will ever know. The global laserdisc community was a much better place for his having been a part of it. His passing leaves a gargantuan void which certainly will never be filled. It's a dark moment for our hobby indeed. Let's keep all of his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

David

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 02:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Really pulls at my heartstrings reading how well this man was liked personally.
Wish I had had the opportunity to know more about his story.
Hope he is somewhere reading these posts .....................

Thanks for suggesting to archive his contributions.
Others will benefit undeniably !

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 03:58 
True fan
True fan

I wanted to post news of Ty's passing on Tuesday when I heard the news but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I kept thinking that he would call me and tell me it was all a big mistake. We talked about everything that happened in each others lives. Ty was the type of friend that made you want to share things with. Sometimes when you share things with friends, their level of interest isn't the same as yours. Ty never disappointed. If something great happened in my life, Ty was almost more excited than I was about it. He was incredibly generous. Some collectors have something and they want to keep it for themselves, not Ty. We would find rare discs or music for each other all the time. I always loved getting packages in the mail from him because he always included a surprise. The last time we spoke, it was about my upcoming wedding. Again, I think he was almost as excited as I am. I just can't believe that he's not going to be there and that he's gone. I've picked up the phone to call him twice this week and it hurt just as bad when I realized he wasn't going to pick up.

At some point I will try to write more, but right now it's a little tough. I've read a few people here asking about a book he mentioned regarding the early days of laserdisc. It was one of many projects that we were trying to work on together but without his enthusiasm it's going to be very difficult to continue.

Goodbye my friend. You are missed.

Ron

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 10:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:

I also agree. The least thing we could do to respect him and to honor his work and support for all the members.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 20:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

These are terrible, terrible news.

Page 2 of 4 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next