It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:45

Page 11 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 06:05 
True fan
True fan

That's pretty much why I'm offering it to someone. I have enough things to "tinker" with. Maybe someone here could use it for parts or as I can attest to, it has a pretty good comb filter. So you could just use it for that.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 23:32 
True fan
True fan

bguzman wrote:
Does anybody want a DMR-ES25 with a dead drive? Let me know.
I do! :mrgreen:

PM sent.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 04:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

has anyone checked out the comb filter in the DVDO EDGE video processor? supposedly it has the adv7800 from analog devices for 3D comb filter. It is a newish design only found on the edge, all other DVDO units have 2D CF. Its been a while since I've seen this processor in action with LDs. Any tried snell Wilcox on it?

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 05:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
has anyone checked out the comb filter in the DVDO EDGE video processor? supposedly it has the adv7800 from analog devices for 3D comb filter. It is a newish design only found on the edge, all other DVDO units have 2D CF. Its been a while since I've seen this processor in action with LDs. Any tried snell Wilcox on it?

I had a DVDO Edge for a short while and flipped it (actually I've done this twice) and I would've sworn it was 2D because it performed pretty much like my iScan HD, if memory serves me right.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 07:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well, tried tinkering with some video capture again. I think I'm gonna stick with the ATI 750 PCIe even though it only captures MPEG-2. Take a look at this comparison between it and the Pinnacle 710 capture box (and capturing at full DV bitrate)

ATI

Pinnacle

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 21:22 
True fan
True fan

What PC do you use? I got an ATI750 for simple capturing on my Win7 64bit and the thing crashed my PC every time and never worked. Had to take the darn thing out after trying every driver possible.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 15:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I also have a Win7 64-bit PC. Is there a setting in the BIOS you have to check to make sure multiple PCIe slots are usable?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 19:14 
True fan
True fan

No idea. How does one go about checking that?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 18:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elahrairrah wrote:
ATI 750 PCIe even though it only captures MPEG-2.

It uses software encoding; you can capture uncompressed YUY2 and any other codec if you venture away from ATI's own capture app.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 21:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Tried using Virtual Dub to capture video using the ATI card. Got an error when trying to capture in AVI format that it wasn't supported by the card.

If you have another way to capture DV level video with this card, please share.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 17:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What's the exact error message? It should work in VirtualDub. (Though judging by the post below in my link, 'sdraper' isn't the only one who had stability problems with this card.)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 09:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've just been given a Pioneer DVR 330 produced in 2005. Does anyone know if this will have a 3D comb filter?

I currently run my LD player through a Philips dvd recorder, do you think this Pioneer will produce better results?

Edit: checked and it does! Does anyone have any recommended settings for recording LDs? No idea how to set up the comb filter!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 02:42 
True fan
True fan

Been trying to find a Panasonic DVD recorder or something on the cheap as my newer Sony CRT just doesn't look as good as my old one despite the color issue being fixed.
Anybody have something or know of somewhere to find a decent comb filter to improve CRT performance?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 02:59 
True fan
True fan

PM sent.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 00:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Bought a Toshiba D-R410 this weekend. It's an DVD Recorder / Upscaler. Late enough (January 2008) to include S-Video Input/Output, but early enough to include a HDMI output. The cool thing is that I'm able to connect my CLD-703 to it and output it through HDMI. Comparing the Composite input on my Vizio to the HDMI, it seems to be brighter, even when I use the same exact settings on both inputs (found via Video Essentials). Doesn't deinterlace (obviously). 480p output looks great, but anything else is iffy. Mainly because it forces the image into a 16x9 image with any other outputs. Also gives you the option of using YCbCr or RGB. YCbCr is the better of the two since it gives my TV additional zoom options.

You can also output through Component, but why bother when it has HDMI. Not sure if there's a quality difference between the two. Still need to test that out.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 04:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I found a Toshiba 620 at the thrift that I still need to look at. Found service manuals on Elektrotanya (sp) - ironically they downgraded from Zoran chips (in the 600) to Panasonic (in the 620) - obviously didn't put in their best comb filter!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 15:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but the Pioneer DVR-7000 and PRV-9000 (exactly the same unit except one has BNC instead of RCA jacks) have an adjustable 3D comb filter with separate Y and C DNR similar to what's found for options on their LD players with DNR and 3D comb filtering. The comb filter is an NEC µPD64082 which is a great comb filter in my Sony CRT BUT a word or two of warning about these recorders:

Due to some issue with the firmware, the comb filter is not adjustable, changing the on-screen settings does nothing. It defaults too far to 3D mode and doesn't look the best on real-world material. Looks great on the snell and wilcox, but I hate that pattern (whole different rant). Also, it gives you the option to disable AGC, but again, changing this option doesn't do anything and the AGC is very aggressive. This could have been a killer recorder, but they screwed something up. I've tried each of these models and had the same result.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 22:22 
True fan
True fan

Got a beautiful DMR-ES25 from bguzman and have been breaking it in. I run the component into my Sony CRT as 480i. The only available settings are under black level and will only darken the input or the output. I leave these alone.
The image is far superior to just the composite or s-video in from my D702 and DVL-700. However I notice that whenever starting a disc up and in the black portions a diagonal line pattern appears all over the screen and is slightly noticeable in the image every one in a while. It also seems that there might be an extremely slight bit of ghosting sometimes, or this may be my eyes playing tricks on me.
Am I doing everything correctly or am I missing something. I re-calibrated with Video Essentials and use the component which IIRC somewhere disclord said was better to use than the composite or s-video outputs from the DMR.
Lastly, would a TBC or other processor improve the image more so?

I will say that I'm rediscovering all my discs now. What a lovely piece of equipment!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 19:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have two DMR-ES25's and I haven't come across any diagonal lines in the startup or blacks.

I will say, that while the 3D comb filter is decent, I do love how well it converts the composite signal from LD to component color space (much less calibration changes are needed when doing so.) Looks great on my WEGA TVs, and I regularly switch back and forth between composite from LD into the ES25 with component from that into the TV and composite directly into the WEGA (since the 3D comb filters in those WEGAs are simply amazing.)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 04:54 
I've been playing with getting LD's to look a bit better on my TV lately, though I'd share my findings. My TV is a 27" Samsung CRT SDTV. It has a pretty bad comb filter built in, and the svideo input is a bit blurry but it has awesome component video. The player is a DVL-700. It looks pretty bad through either the composite or svideo on this TV, although I know the player is capable of great things since I used to use it on a PVM which looked awesome, but was small.

At the recommendation of this thread I picked up the Extron YCS-100 really cheap off of ebay, originally for a different purpose but it did indeed improve the image of the DVL. It looked pretty good for the most part but colors were a bit off, and I think it's mostly due to the TV, as I said earlier svideo is no this set's strong point. So, I picked up a DMR-ES25 off of the bay, to try it out. Composite in to the recorder, component out to the TV. I used a few various discs to test and adjusted some settings, then popped in Godfather 2, as it was the next LD on my watch list.

It looked really good! Very impressed with the color conversion from composite to component. The next movie I put in is Star Wars (faces edition.) Well... to be frank, it didn't look very good. I kept playing with settings, and it still looked rough. My guess, is that the I was used to the excellent 2d comb filter in the Extron, while the constant movement of Star Wars was giving the 3d filter in the DMR hell, which isn't really noticeable in the Godfather. Most of the movies I have on laserdisc are action movies, this won't do. So, I combined them. Ran composite from the LD player into the YCS-100, then svideo out into the DMR's input, and then the recorder converter svideo to component. The result is pretty glorious, Star Wars looked excellent, and Empire Stikes Back looked amazing. I've got a Video Essentials disc on the way so I can further fine tune and experiement with it. I'd also like to try it on my HDTV, which has a little industrial player hooked up to it.

Page 11 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next