It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:44

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best looking cleanest anime on LD?
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 02:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For me, even though I haven't seen much, it would be the japanese Ninja Scroll CAV release, the only LD anime I've seen so far that would get a 10/10 rating for PQ. It surprised me after seeing so many ugly discs.

Someone posted pics of Akira CAV that looked possibly 9/10 or 10/10 too.

I'd say the japanese Phantom Quest Corp CAV release gets a generous 8/10. I'm really critical I guess.

Perfect Blue CAV and Memories CAV were around 6-7/10.

Others I've seen are mostly in the 1/10 to 4/10 range, i.e. very poor, including a lot of series I like that just don't look very good on LD - Sol Bianca, Key the Metal Idol, Black Magic M-66, Patlabor, Roujin Z, etc.

Post subject: Re: Best looking cleanest anime on LD?
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

Anyone have an idea on how Armitage III: Polymatrix looks? Or am I better how tracking it down on dvd. I have fond memories of this movie being played late night/early morning on the sci-fi channel.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 21:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (1997) [TKLA-50300] looks fabulous. Possibly the best looking animation I've seen on Laserdisc aside from Tarzan.

About Perfect Blue, some clips of it are available on DTS Experience (1998) [PILW-1258] and it really pushes the format to its limit. Really nice anamorphic sequence.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 21:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Disney ones usually have chroma noise but sharp. Real anime are dirty and soft. Some blend well in with the format.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 23:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

nissling wrote:
Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (1997) [TKLA-50300] looks fabulous. Possibly the best looking animation I've seen on Laserdisc aside from Tarzan.

About Perfect Blue, some clips of it are available on DTS Experience (1998) [PILW-1258] and it really pushes the format to its limit. Really nice anamorphic sequence.

interesting, i didn't realize there were squeeze clips out there, i'll have to check that out.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 01:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day guys,

Quality Anime on Laserdisc as follows: SPRIGGAN Had a very unique gatefold textured cover and the movie is great, a little like the indiana Jones approach, picture quality is also very clean as I remember.

I shall have to give this disc some fresh air and play at some stage as I really did enjoy it and kept looking at the cover and thinking to myself ''My now that's a collectors piece, of which I am glad to own X 2 of in brand new condition.

TARZAN is also excellent along with / BUGS LIFE (JAPANES)/ ANTZ (US & JAPANESE) / JIN ROH (JAPANESE) some of coarse not anime but non the less good.

I do have others and am happy to own these.

Kind regards to everyone

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 01:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

To my eye the Wings of Honneamise re-release was excellent.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 04:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

here is a quick screen shot from Captain Harlock: Arcadia of my Youth (1982) [LSTD01195]

using composite directly from the LD-S1 into my LED television.
very nice, very happy with this player.
looks like i'm looking at an animation cel, some light chroma noise in the solid blue or red backgrounds but not that much considering.

Last edited by rein-o on 11 Apr 2015, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 18:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

even on a Led tv via composite is awesome, congrats

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 01:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The remasters found only in Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection (1996) [TKLO-50180] are amazing. I'd say that Bubblegum Crisis: Complete Collection (1987) [BVLL-539] is nearly as good.

Oneamisu no Tsubasa (Wings of Honneamise): Memorial Box (1987) [BEAL-1142] is very very good, but if you can handle P&S you should see Oneamisu no Tsubasa (Wings of Honneamise) (1987) [BELL-460]. You loose the sides, but the extra resolution goes a long way.

Tenchi Muyo #01: Resurrection of Ryoko (1992) [PILA-1133A] and the subsequent episodes look amazing. I honestly think the producers built their pallete around which colors would look best on LD. While the actual animation isn't that great, the video quality is amazing.

A lot of people like Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (1997) [TKLA-50300] but if you don't have a higher end player the chroma noise can be pretty insane. I guess when it comes to LD you can choose bright and colorful but noisy, or clean and low contrast. It seems noise is inverse to SNR.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 02:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Imported the entire run of Evangelion a few weeks ago. Look pretty great, even on a LCD. The transfers still have a lot frame jittering going on. Minus that, the PQ is 8/10.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 04:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

virtualvcr wrote:
Imported the entire run of Evangelion a few weeks ago. Look pretty great, even on a LCD. The transfers still have a lot frame jittering going on. Minus that, the PQ is 8/10.

frame jittering, please elaborate.
is this on still step or CAV stepping :think:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 04:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think he's referring to the film transfer - Josh Z on avsforum: "What you are describing is known as "Gainax Jitter", and was an artifact of the original production. When they were animating the series, the producing studio Gainax had out of date equipment that caused the frame to jump at every splice. This is a problem not just with Evangelion, but with all Gainax shows of the period."

That wasn't fixed until the series was remastered years after LD ended.

As for Tenchi - since it was an OAV commissioned by Pioneer, the LD was the lead release, so picking the color palette accordingly would've made a lot of sense!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 18:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

TENCHI MUYO! was one of my first Anime. i was a big fan, back around the late 90's/early 2000s.

i have a couple of the original OAV eps on LD, two of the "special" entries, the "Pretty Samy" spinoff, but that's about it.
i do, however, have nearly everything but TENCHI in TOKYO and MAGICAL PROJECT S on VHS and DVD.

while it would be kind of nice to complete the whole saga on LD one of these days,
the final financial investment required to achieve that, i am certain, would likely be most prohibitive indeed.

besides, while i WAS a BIG fan of the series, 15 years ago, -in my late teens/early twenties-
today, in my early/mid thirties, i find i've little patience for the cat-fighting and petty antics the series is legendary for.

still, i AM quite sentimental to a fault, and as such, i intend to always keep such immature artifacts of my rapidly fading childhood
reasonably near and dear, and i suppose i owe TENCHI MUYO that much anyhow, especially since that series, by proxy of it's U.S. market merchandising,
was responsible for opening the entire hobby of Anime Doll collecting and customization up to me...

Last edited by tasuke on 29 Jan 2018, 18:37, edited 1 time in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2015, 08:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have Tenchi in Love (both regular one disc CLV and the three disc Special Edition CAV versions), two disc Manatsu no Eve Movie and Pretty Sammy OVA 1. Pretty Sammy OVA 2-3 and Sammy's Music LD will be shipped to me around the start of the next month along with other LD anime goodies. On top of that, my other friend decided to give me a present and ordered some cheap anime LD's from Japan that I don't have. ;)

In terms of quality, the best discs I have are; Urusei Yatsura Itsudatte My Darling which was remastered from the original movie tapes, all Tenchi Movies and Slayers Season 1 which is superior even to the released an year later DVDbox in both terms of audio andvideo.

I've posted pics before, but there's never enough of anime LD goodies, right? ;)

Image Image

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 08:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

After watching a ton more anime, my vote at this point is for the reboot Bubblegum Crisis 2040. Very stark brilliant colors and beautiful lines, little noise, great OP with 60fps digital panning, etc. On my upscaler it mostly looks like 1080 content. The one issue is they seem to have mastered it with blown out colors. On digital displays there is occasionally a lot of noise in large swaths of the primary colors.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

happycube wrote:
I think he's referring to the film transfer - Josh Z on avsforum: "What you are describing is known as "Gainax Jitter", and was an artifact of the original production. When they were animating the series, the producing studio Gainax had out of date equipment that caused the frame to jump at every splice. This is a problem not just with Evangelion, but with all Gainax shows of the period."

That wasn't fixed until the series was remastered years after LD ended.

This should never have been be "fixed". It was part of history and part of the feeling of the show.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 18:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i always thought MOLDIVER looked reasonably passable via the PIONEER CLD-3030 direct to a 46" LCD HDTV;

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 22:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think I’d like to add Macross Dynamite 7 to this list. An incredible looking series. This would have been shot digitally so the master is as good/flawless as possible. It also has that “please don’t stop buying LD!” kinda of packaging that Bandai was doing towards the end. Also, a man free dives in space to sing with intergalactic whales which is just awesome times infinity.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 07:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Tenchi muyo, Macross 7 Dinamite,etc...some of the titles
you mention that look great is cause we are talking about "PC painted cels". Although hand drawn like classic anime
,here the painting process of cels and backgrounds are made in a pc and they dont have any darkness or fluctuation of the waxes and watercolors, they look very clear and crisp.
I think this technique began around 94-95 mostly in OVAs

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next