It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:47

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Need recommendations on good 2 channel amp.
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 15:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Come to find out, the extra rotel rb956ax that I have is un-reparable. Four of the 6 channels are out, and trying to trace out what parts went bad would be to time intensive.

Does any one have recommendations on a good 2 channel amp that can be picked up used for 300 or less? I will be using it to push a set of Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series 2, these are 8 Ohm and 20-200 Watt. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206 This will be mainly for surround duties with some light music.

I'm not above running a 4 channel amp in bridged mode, also not looking to push these at 200 watts. Something in the 150 range at 8 ohms is ok with me.

Thank you for any and all help.

Post subject: Re: Need recommendations on good 2 channel amp.
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 15:13 
you want lots of brute force, Harman Kardon amps are known for having lots of muscle

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 16:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

for two-channel stereo amplification, the 1990 PIONEER VSX-D1S AVR is among the very best price/performance/build quality values on the planet;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Build-Quality-P ... 19fce4ed73

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-VSX-D1S ... 51ce0758d6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-VSX-D1S ... 3cf58ad8fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pioneer-vsx-d1s ... 4192c0c95a

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 16:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That Pio reciever looks great, I really like both its inner and outer design. Kind of miss my VSX-5900s sometimes that gave up last autumn after 23 years. :(

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 19:04 
you also want great 2 channel audio for HIFI, I don't think the above Pioneer amp gives great audio for cd listening maybe only for surround sound it's great?
you want an amp that handles low impedance speakers otherwise it will cut the sound

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 19:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

tasuke wrote:
for two-channel stereo amplification, the 1990 PIONEER VSX-D1S AVR is among the very best price/performance/build quality values on the planet;

That is a very nice looking piece of equipment, I'm leaning more towards a single amp. I have a modular setup going and would like to get another dedicated amp.

carlosthejackal wrote:
you also want great 2 channel audio for HIFI, I don't think the above Pioneer amp gives great audio for cd listening maybe only for surround sound it's great?
you want an amp that handles low impedance speakers otherwise it will cut the sound

I will only be using this amp for 8 ohm speakers only, so thankfully no worry about running the amp to hard on low ohm.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/4930453460.html I spotted this amp, and it seems to have good reviews. Any one have experience with sony amps? I have a sony preamp and its fantastic.

I've also been looking at one of the smaller adcoms, but maybe a carver if I can find one for a good price.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 20:04 
8 ohm speakers are easy to run most of the times, that's great

personally i would never touch Sony HiFi components
have you heard of american brand Heckler & Koch, ehhhhhhh I mean H/K = Harman/Kardon, this is real power amplifier
and they also look very nice in their design.
H/K 670 is a great classic 2 channel amp.

I have HK Dvd25 for 15 years, it's been playing audio/video grrrrreat!

if you are no geek for HiFi disregard my recommendation for H/K brand then sony amp will be ok for your.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 20:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

carlosthejackal wrote:

have you heard of american brand Heckler & Koch, ehhhhhhh I mean H/K = Harman/Kardon, this is real power amplifier

if you are no geek for HiFi disregard my recommendation for H/K brand then sony amp will be ok for your.

Fair enough, I've personally used a Harmon kardon pre/amp combo and never had any problem with it. I had no idea the had dedicated amps, I will have to look into them. Thank you for the recommendation.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 00:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

look into a carver, older sony silver face, sansui, pioneer or other Japanese 80s 90s amp.
well under 300 bucks.
and easy to find a 2 channel as most don't know how or what to use them for unless they need a nice turntable setup.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 21:59 
True fan
True fan

2 Rotel Mono blocks (solid state) to about 1998 its with in budget.. You won't turn back, trust me..

\../

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 04:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

carlosthejackal wrote:

you would in all likelihood be absolutely floored with just how good the VSX-D1S actually sounds in two channel with a good CD source such as the ELITE PD-91 i have, Seriously.

with this receiver as the heart and muscle of my hi-fi setup, i honestly never feel like i'm missing a single microscopic thing.
this receiver, paired with a good full range pair of 4-way floorstanders, makes even 8-bit NINTENDO NES "Ear-Rape" video game sound nothing short of fabulous.

clean, full, nuanced and powerful sound is always the reliable order of the day with this amp, you can take that to the bank...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 14:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

grasshopper wrote:
2 Rotel Mono blocks (solid state) to about 1998 its with in budget.. You won't turn back, trust me..

\../

I will give them a look. I really like my 6 channel rotel, well made and very nice heat sinks. Plus they are built dead simple, so replacing major components is easy.
carlosthejackal wrote:

I looked into the H/K amps and their dedicated amps are impressive. Little over my budget but very nice looking.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 18:49 
Rotel amps are great too.
If you like warm vivid sound, British HiFi is among the best, Arcam is da bomb so are NAIM!
Naim is my favorite of all electronic brands and it's British like fish 'n' chips

@ tasuke, the above Pioneer amp is surely a good amp for it's performance.
as I'm a HiFi nerd I only use 2 channel amps in my set up, I can't/won't use a surround amp with my toys coz I have no space for more surround speakers.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Mar 2015, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 19:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You can use a surround amp for 2 channel with no issues whatsoever. I'm using a Yamaha R-N500 (great amp) currently and will get a pair of Ino piP for them within a week or two. However the R-N500 isn't powerful enough for 150w/8ohm so it's not an alternative it for Darkgenerals.

What makes Naim your favorite? I've never used any of their equipment yet I've heard all kinds of stuff about them. And some of their marketing is suspicious to say the least.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 19:55 
nissling wrote:
You can use a surround amp for 2 channel with no issues whatsoever. I'm using a Yamaha R-N500 (great amp) currently and will get a pair of Ino piP for them within a week or two. However the R-N500 isn't powerful enough for 150w/8ohm so it's not an alternative it for Darkgenerals.

What makes Naim your favorite? I've never used any of their equipment yet I've heard all kinds of stuff about them. And some of their marketing is suspicious to say the least.

i had several amp brands before, once you find the favorite you'll stick with it, that's what happened to me when I found the god of NAIM!
they are not like other manufacturers, employees measure every component to match the specific NAIM standards
most hifi magazines highly rates this brand as one of their favorites for audio.

they are a bit odd compared to other brands as they for many years only used DIN Preh connectors for best audio quality.
some years ago they had to incorporate phono contacts to be more compatible with other brands.

only thing i dislike with Naim is they are waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced on many of their gear

a surround amp will sound ok for generic ears people who don't care about hifi, but a purist will say nah, doesn't sound good to me, I'm too picky about audio quality, surround amp no good for my hearing of audio quality.
same thing goes with cables, a good set up needs good wires

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 22:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't think you've done a blind test between a Naim amp and a surround reciever. Try that out and come back. ;) Keeping in mind what's in the amplifiers from Naim I doubt there's much bang for the buck. Although I've heard they give their customers good service whenever any of their equipment goes bad so that's a nice thing, really nice.
carlosthejackal wrote:

And what are good wires to you? As long as the resistance is correct (not too high) and there's no major interferance in the lead, there's no reason to get any "better" wires. There's so much, much more that affect the results than your choice of wires.

Don't see either why DIN connectors would give better audio. This isn't rocket science of any kind. :P

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 10:18 
nissling wrote:
I don't think you've done a blind test between a Naim amp and a surround reciever. Try that out and come back. ;) Keeping in mind what's in the amplifiers from Naim I doubt there's much bang for the buck. Although I've heard they give their customers good service whenever any of their equipment goes bad so that's a nice thing, really nice.
carlosthejackal wrote:

And what are good wires to you? As long as the resistance is correct (not too high) and there's no major interferance in the lead, there's no reason to get any "better" wires. There's so much, much more that affect the results than your choice of wires.

Don't see either why DIN connectors would give better audio. This isn't rocket science of any kind. :P

i've never used a surround amp only 2 cannel amps.
surround amps are more complicated to build getting great sound, a manufacturer puts more thought into getting real hifi audio in a 2 channel amp.

if you read swedish magazine hifi&musik, NAIM always gets top rating butchering their opponents in tests.
naim has minimum of components in their electronics but they use HQ components.

DIN connectors gives better earthing, something i red years ago, naim was the only brand using these connectors for years when other brands used standard phono.
same did danish B&O they used DIN.

better wires have real 75 ohms and special oxygen free copper 99.99999%, these cables also have better shielding from interference.
i use a danish dvd player Denver, when i bought i hooked it up with a noname licorish Y/C cable, tv-picture was unstable with imperfections on many details.
i bought Ixos Y/C cable played the same parts again to test, picture gave better resolution and was more clean without imperfections using Ixos high end cable.

some people buy high end cables other don't care about it, it all depends on how much you're interested in your hobby.
if i have an R7G then i get proper cables to get the best resolution through my tv.
same goes with my hifi

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 10:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Earthing?! You don't mean ground? :P

I don't take Hifi & Musik serious at all. They rarely do blind tests and describe the sound in a very bland way. But then, Level (Swedish gaming magazine) sucks too. You could probably find a Denon reciever for about a third of the price that sounds just as good as a Naim. Just because a brand isn't worth the money doesn't mean it cannot give good performance.

The copper itself cannot change the signal, though high resistance will results in decreased sound level. Using 0,75mm^2 as a speaker cable for about 26ft (8 meters) will result in a decrease of 2dB due to the lead resistance. Difference in this case is mostly negligible, though could be heard if doing an A/B-test with a 1.5mm^2 cable. 2.5mm^2 won't give any audiable loss until 100ft (30 meters) and probably not even by then. Do you really need these long cables?

If you want to spend your time listening to cables, do so. I've got better things to do. :P

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 11:09 
yes i mean better ground, (bättre jordegenskaper)

i never listen to cables tests, that's very boring to do such thing

when i was younger i red hifi/musik, highfidelity, what hifi.
what hifi/video was the best magazine giving full and detailed reviews.

if you use better components to your sources you must get better performance otherwise it's only a waste of money getting ripped off
those freebee cables you recive for free in the box when you buy electronics, these cables do their job but don't give the best resolution.
i don't think there are high end manufacturers out there for nothing, they fill a purpose.

Denon is a good electronics brand but i don't think they are high end like Mark Levinson and others?

you bought an R7G for it's great combfilter compare that to a lesser combfilter from another pioneer laserdisc player.
do you really really need a 3D combfilter when you watch a movie?
you bought this player for it's great 3D filter otherwise you would have bought a lesser player or wouldn't care about R7G having this best combfilter, you heard from other people on this forum how magnifiicent the R7G is and therefore you bought it.
so did i from your recommendations.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 13:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

To me, the whole point of HiFi is to get out the most of your money. That's why I've bought a pair of Ino piP as I cannot find any other speakers in my price range that gives better bang for the buck and they also match perfectly fine with my current amp. However, buying more expensive cables won't help a damn. I'm not saying cables cannot be different but it's nearly impossible to find a pair of speaker cables for most setup that doesn't do the job (distance between amp and speakers is just too short in a living room).

I bought the R7G because it's a compact and nice player that easily outperformed any other player I've owned so far. Nice, though there are clearly better players available but for its price it's good. A 3D comb filter will make smaller detail shine more. But the R7G doesn't look good on my setup thanks to the choice of cables. Display, deinterlacer, scaling engine, noise reduction, calibration and choice of disc all have much more impact. The cable cannot reduce the resolution by the way.

Haven't got any experience from Mark Levinson so I cannot say, though for nearly all easily driven speakers a decent Denon will be good enough. Once you've got an amp that utilizes the full potential of your speakers and signals, you don't need to think a whole lot more about it. The acoustic of the room and your choice of speakers will have much more impact on the end result.

There are so much snakeoil and liars on the HiFi market that you wouldn't believe it. Naim once claimed in an ad for their HDX that it was the only alternative to get bit correct playback of CDs, which is pure b******t.

Though there actually is a company, Transparent (ironically), selling cables that do affect the results. But it's not thanks to the copper. They've put some components within a box on their cables that do adjust the sound. So with those cables you actually get further away from the original signal, and a $4 cable from China will do better in comparison. But at least they're right that you will get different sound with their cables. ;)

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next