It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:55

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My kind of Media Room...
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 19:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mayari wrote:
Are the LD sales from Surugaya still going on? You speak of it in past tense...

Surugaya has unfortunately decided to halt their Rakuten sales, which so easily facilitated tons of anime LD sales overseas. Their stuff was so cheap that there was infinitesimal profit, perhaps loss, in dealing with overseas sales and a bean counter probably examined the Rakuten sales :(

I scored tons of great stuff though: the Lain box set, the shoujo series Oniisama E in gatefolds (with original bonus stuff like posters), the Leiji Matsumoto Anime Theater gatefold (Harlock short!), Bubblegum Crisis box set (very nice!), the Queen Millennia movie, and even a copy of the Sailor Moon S box. All in great condition.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2015, 19:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I think that you can still buy LD's from Surugaya store if you have a proxy in Japan who can buy it and ship to you (charging a little commission fee).

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 18:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, a proxy could work for Surugaya and could be cheaper in shipping (surugaya only shipped EMS, while a proxy could use sea mail for stuff like a Urusei Yatsura 50 disc set, for example) but the convenience of dealing direct was nice.

LD is so cheap in Japan that I still have fantasies of filling a sea container with anime LDs, shipping the lot to America, and setting up shop on eBay (cue mad scientist :lol:)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 16:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

harlock wrote:
Yeah, a proxy could work for Surugaya and could be cheaper in shipping (surugaya only shipped EMS, while a proxy could use sea mail for stuff like a Urusei Yatsura 50 disc set, for example) but the convenience of dealing direct was nice.

LD is so cheap in Japan that I still have fantasies of filling a sea container with anime LDs, shipping the lot to America, and setting up shop on eBay (cue mad scientist :lol:)

Is the market big in usa for that ? Anime in japanese without subs ? I fear the day where I know enough japanese to understand a Anime episode, cuz then I will be buying them... =)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 17:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Fans of the series in question, definitely. The Lain boxset's art is probably gorgeous, and there's so much 480i video that there's probably something lost in the Blu-Ray remastering...

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 17:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

johan184 wrote:
Is the market big in usa for that ? Anime in japanese without subs ? I fear the day where I know enough japanese to understand a Anime episode, cuz then I will be buying them... =)

I only understand a little bit of Japanese, but that doesn't stop me from buying anime without subs... :lol: There's not enough old-school anime out there that's subbed, so I've mostly had no choice.

The effect is the same as watching all the stuff in raw Tagalog that my parents watch on the Filipino Channel every day. (The channel's just now including subs with popular afternoon soaps, but it took them 15 years to do it!) I'm at the point where I can understand conversations in the language and can answer in English. I hope to get up to that same level with Japanese, and I'm sure the raw anime would help somewhat.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 21:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

happycube wrote:
The Lain boxset's art is probably gorgeous, and there's so much 480i video that there's probably something lost in the Blu-Ray remastering...

Yes the Lain box is very nice indeed and hard to find outside Japan because, as a late LD release, translated DVD versions were out around the same time as the LD which meant few imports. All of the cg compositing in Lain will have a unique look on video too, a good point. The 90's were like the last hurrah for anime of this caliber and it's great to have such an artifact.

johan184 wrote:

Yes there are JP titles that still command a decent amount here: the Evangelion movie super deluxe box brings plenty, the Maison Ikkoku box recently went for $160 on eBay, and I've seen stuff like the Gundam boxes (that sell for peanuts in JP) bring decent amounts. Japanese anime LDs make a great collectable, and you can always cheat with a fansub translation. I could imagine uncovering a hoard of discs in some dark warehouse, like a scene from Indiana Jones, at cheap cost (if surugaya is retail values, imagine in volume) and packing a container full of LD booty from the "raid" :lol:.

I saw a shipping cost of $3k from Yokohama to California (plus container rental), on a Japanese car forum from a few years ago, for a 40ft container (more with inflation but cheaper fuel might make it close and other stuff like loading costs at port) - imagine having 40ft of anime LD, plus HLD-X0s and X9s in the remaining space (the HLD players are much cheaper in Japan and you could easily recover the shipping cost just selling high end players and turn a profit). Cue mad scientist :lol: once more...

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3