It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:39

Page 1 of 5 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Small Heart attack.
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 20:02 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Early morning hours of around 05:59am, Tuesday 4th August 2014, I work up with faint breathing and lack of dehydration and a pressing feeling on my chest. I drank some fruit juice that didn't seem to do anything then opened window for air and that to didn't do anything and had drink of low sugar fizzy orange that to didn't do anything. It was then I realized something serious was wrong!

I dialed 999 emergence paramedics, they took around 8mins to arrive while I stayed on the phone with the emergence service until paramedics arrived and assisted me down to the ambulance where it was known I have suffered from a heart-attack.

When arriving at Bournemouth hospital I was put though all the persuades and taken to different departments and it was defendant I had suffered from a (small heart-attack) since I don't smoke or drink.

For past few days I have been injected for blood tests and one test that I declined from while being told what it involves gave me the chills, made my skin crawl.

I'm at low risk but ever the less I now have to be medication 24/7/365 for a year of one type of medication then can come it but would have to stay on for ever now another type of medication to thin out my blood.

I should get a call to pop down to the heart-club within 10 days? To join and get physical to lose some weight some 4 stone of it as I'm 14 stone way too overweight and its been a wake up call in the past few days for me.

I have boycotted certain foods that are fatty and will be changing my diet form now on...

During my stay at the hospital as a patient I have spoken to many other patients whom have something in common and making general conversation/talk and some laughs.

I'm still cheery and still have my sense of humor even thou I came close.

I didn't have my camera and only the phone and took 2 or 3 pictures but can't find the other 2 pictures and few seconds of video while I was in one of the wards while the monitored my condition as well as others who had serious attacks!

The real thanks are to the paramedics the hospital doctors and staff who have helped me and many others whom for their indispensable professional I wouldn't be here now. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Small Heart attack.
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 20:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Get Well Soon :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 22:41 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Kris, I'm on the medication and I hope it all works out well. :) I'm at low risk since I don't smoke or drink. I spoke to a lot of who still smoke themselves or trying to quit the habit. I was fairly open spoken to many and seen some that was really incapacitated with one fella while a friend was stood at his bedside and made me weep, looking all around one ward at how vulnerable we all are. :|

I won't forget conversations and wishing good heath to some few who left before I did and some leaving in few days from now and one fella won't be discharged for another 10 days and happened to like Star Wars.

Some laughed at the sense of humor of me walking into another ward that I was moved from 2 days ago and told them (I'm your doctor) and they laughed while I looked at their charts. :mrgreen: Laughter gives a bit of relief.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 23:50 
True fan
True fan

I have had two heart attacks - each time they had to place a stent in.

I did learn how difficult it is to sleep in a hospital (at least in an ICU unit) - if they aren't pestering you to make sure you aren't pushing up daisies it is just plain noisy in those places pretty much 24/7.

The first time it happens it is a lot scarier than the second - but hopefully you won't have it happen again.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 11:34 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

bifrostbear wrote:
I have had two heart attacks - each time they had to place a stent in.

I did learn how difficult it is to sleep in a hospital (at least in an ICU unit) - if they aren't pestering you to make sure you aren't pushing up daisies it is just plain noisy in those places pretty much 24/7.

The first time it happens it is a lot scarier than the second - but hopefully you won't have it happen again.

Blimey, bifrostbear, twice. I met a few that had more than twice but one chap who was a joy to chat with is trying so hard to quit the smoking habit and he had nice sense of humor and was down here in Dorset. camping with family on holiday and was discharged day before yesterday so I hope he tries and quits as a few more strokes, that can't be nice.

Well bif, I tip my hat for sir. I cringed the moment the doctors mentioned this "stent" I had the shivers but it was my call.

The morning I went it. The doctors like probing with needles and I'm just reminded at how lol bad it was with the blood test in THE THING. They said only a few needles and I have lost count for blood tests to see what type of medication I would need?

Are you a smoker/drinker bif? Are you overweight as well?

I've been looking at some exercise bikes for indoors to get on and sweat off some pounds of body overweight that just isn't me. I'm guesstimating around 196Ilbs (14 stone) and I should be around 126Ilbs (9 stone). I'm carrying a Jabba the hut around with me feeling of it is not good and I need to sweat this overweight off and then I'll notice the difference in walking or other?

As for the noisy hospitals it didn't bother me. I was listening to the real surround and I can remember a lot of how it sounded to how it felt.

Being flat out on my back while being wheeled out the paramedics ambulance with the ramp being set in position to wheel me out onto the ramp was a mild jolt, then a springy jolt as the ramp lowered to the ground and then being pulled off , felt the wheels tiny jolt as they come off the ramp and then up concrete-ramp to hospital-entrance then inside and even feeling slight swaying of the bed that I was being pushed along with.

When doctors wanted to stick that probe in me. While I was awake I joked at maybe "hit me over the head with frying pan, give me that sedation and get on with it. They laughed they knew it must have been scary for me but it was my call and other means was used to medicate me.

Once in one of the wards and hearing the monitors of heart-rate breathing-rate and so on and glancing over to left side to look at the screen and make heads-and-tails of what its doing and asking one of the many doctors that I seen what the readings mean? That gave me a little conference and there was amber/blue/red coloured lighting that displays when the sticky bio-senors come unstuck with body and they sound with a colour. I kept having to stick them down again as when moving around in bed, there are some like 10 or so I lost count 10 or so senors.

Also had heart scan with device like ultra-scan, and that felt awkward (I know it has to be done) but having been pressed down on my chest heart area for 20 minutes I felt a little bruised afterwards a few red spots where its been pressing down. It felt intrusive (but had to be done).

I must have been 4 types of wards over the 3 days. One fella next to my bed in third ward had breathing troubles and was sat in a chair all night Now that has to be uncomfortable not able to lay down on the bed due to his condition. :| But between the curtain we chatted and I asked a few questions as that may help or not that maybe the doctors haven't asked. I'm just that sort of person I do care about things and people. It was nice to see him a few days later when I popped into the ward I think now it was yesterday afternoon and seeing laying on the bed on his side getting some rest as being sat upright in chair for 20 or so hours I can't do that, got lay down at some point, he was having his lap and I left him be, while chatting with new in-patient for 25 minutes or so before I was called back to my ward by one of the staff/doctors as my dad would be picking me up soon.

But the fella was interesting to talk to and he quit smoking some 18 or so years ago he said? He's married and his wife is vegetarian and he's partly vegetarian himself. We talked about the "KFC or rat thing" :mrgreen: and how fat on chicken not good, and that it should be skinned chicken but he's partly vegetarian and that isn't far from my mind now about quitting boycotting some foods.

I boycotted chicken a few weeks or so ago now maybe month and bit. So chicken and meat like beef now is on my boycott list. I have ate enough. I'll try new foods now. Been into stir-fry meals for past few weeks, um have a slow-cooker.... (oh my paused typing at 10:52am) popped around the corner, co-op to get a few a foods, small shopping. Its taken me around nearly close to 10 minutes to walk and what would have taken me 3.5mins before Tuesday early morning.

Total shopping time and walking there and back approximately 40 minutes. Its gonna take maybe weeks before I can start walking at a normal pace again. :|

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 12:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My condolences to all you guys. I haven't has heart attack myself, although I certainly have all the qualifities to get one, but this has been a difficult year to me due the other health issues that have affected my physical condition and things like these really make one to think about life from different perspective.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 12:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

romp,

Cheers. :)

Kick and quit the smoking habit with the drinking if that is the case?

While walking around co-op shopping slowly, I was sticking my nose up at many foods that I would have said yes to a last week. I'm gonna be boycotting quite a bit now.

Please man, quit the smoking it will or maybe soon catch up, please.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 13:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hang in there laserbite34. I came close to a heart attack once. A little over 4 years ago. I was admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure. My blood pressure was 256/128. I was in the ICU for 4 days and then put in a single room for 4 days after which I was discharged. This hospital visit as a patience was my first in 63 years. During my 8 day visit, I lost 51 pounds of weight. (This is not a diet I would recommend.) I have never smoked and I have never drank alcohol. Now, I take 13 different drugs for my blood pressure, my diabetes, to control my fluid retention and to help me sleep. I do agree with you that a hospital is a difficult place to stay at. I found it very hard to sleep.

To top it all off, I have 2 bum shoulders from calcemic tendonitis that I had about 10 years ago and bursitis in both hips. Getting old is no picnic.

God bless you.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 14:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

dumbchemist, blimey mate you hold in there. That sounds like a high pressure at the time and mine was being checked a few times a day. I found the Arnold Schwarzenegger pump to be discomforting around the arm. It builds up with tightening pressure and then got count so many seconds for the readings then count another 30 seconds until it slowly deflates. Ummmm sigh that's better. :) Oh, I think I was in the very good readings. I ask doctor/staff is readings good or bad. They say very good. That pleases me to say the least.

No I wasn't bothered by other patients some had to listen to my rants of blood tests and THE THING or Jabba the hut belly I'm carrying around with me and it made them laugh. The hospital even had the soft foam earplugs, wow my favorite thing I have at least 20 or so in the kitchen cupboard draw.

I still keep the wrest band on as a reminder to me.

The sticky bi-sensors that I still found stuck to me when I got home and thought I removed them all at the hospital. Use warm water to remove them as the sticky glue comes off far easier than ripping them off.

dumbchemist, you stay healthy and well you hear. :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 14:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o, thank you in pm, I've added the last of the veg oil to the BOYCOTT list its been pored away with hot running water. I have to get this oil or what ever flushed out my body system.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 14:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I'm looking into buying within next week or so an exercise bike, £79.99 new on amazon, to burning off the calories.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 14:55 
True fan
True fan

Laserbite - I was overweight and a smoker when my first one occurred. (Drinking has never really been a problem for me - my father was an alcoholic and I have always been pretty careful with it - not a teetotaler but I have a few beers now and then - maybe drink three or four six packs a year.)

The second heart attack occurred about a year after the first one. I had quit smoking, lost a lot of weight and was exercising. My blood work was excellent.

What I couldn't control was the stress in my work life - my supervisory chain treated me miserably after I got back - after six weeks off I was back no longer than 1 hour when I got called into an office by two of the b*****ds who proceeded to ream me for two hours about everything that had gone wrong in my department while I was out. (They somehow assumed the department would function just fine without any supervision and afterwards decided it was easier to blame me than take any responsibility for not stepping up to the plate while I was out.) After the second one they backed off once they realised that they could be on the losing end of a lawsuit if I had decided to go that route. My post care cardiologist told me that libraries (I worked in one) were by far the worst offenders that he saw in terms of after event treatment of people.

I have gained a lot of the weight back but the relative lack of stress (even less now that I am retired) in my life has really made a difference. I did quit smoking immediately after my first heart attack though.

The stents weren't really that problematic (not that I had a choice) - the worst was that they go in through an artery in the groin and they don't stitch it to avoid scarring - so you have to lie on your back for 12 hours. You wouldn't think it but that is extremely painful on your back muscles.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 15:45 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

bifrostbear, the last of your words made me cringe. I tip my hat for you allowing to go though that. Your not as cowardly as I chickened out of it.

Well keep the weight down.

I had a call from the Royal Bournemouth hospital about 20 mins ago and we chattered about A I pop down or B I can pop over and check blood pressure and all and talk more about the heart rehab club course and I asked if its myth to lose weight and the nice lady said it can be done. There is a guy working on the weight loss and lost a few pounds recently, so it cane be done. :thumbup:

I feel lousy when seated I feel like cat is sat on me and feels uncomfortable. I can't see past my belly its like a blind spot inside a car, when you look around.

Its good you quit the smoking as what good does it do? It makes your clothes smell and you have to wash even more. Waste of water.

I tell you the story when I had meal at Chinese restaurant a years ago? I had broccoli, with a dinner I had its one of these places where you serve yourself. The moment I put the broccoli, in my mouth. Yuck WTF is this? It tastes like cigarettes and I spat it out on the plate in front of my friend and his friends at birthday party dinner. I'm not kidding it tasted like stale cigarettes. I have nose for sensitive smells and tastes since I don't drink and smoke.

The reason it tasted that way was it was overcooked. Your only suppose to cook broccoli, around boiling time for 4 or 5 minutes but at the restaurant its still cooking under the hot lights. I don't mind broccoli, I like it, only as long as its cooked correctly.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 16:34 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:

Its good you quit the smoking as what good does it do? It makes your clothes smell and you have to wash even more. Waste of water.

Ironically I had quit smoking for about 15 years and the stress at the job pushed me back towards it. (My direct supervisor's wife also worked at the library and she hated me (actually she hated anyone who was smarter than her - which was about 98% of the library staff) - so you can imagine how fairly I was treated by the s.o.b. even before the first heart attack.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 16:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Well she isn't a ghost lady is she? I think on first site of seeing that I'd be running out!

Don't get pushed into that corner of smoking. I wouldn't smoke if you had £900 billion cash in hand for a puff on one cigarette I'd say, Pass.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 18:42 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Well she isn't a ghost lady is she? I think on first site of seeing that I'd be running out!

Don't get pushed into that corner of smoking. I wouldn't smoke if you had £900 billion cash in hand for a puff on one cigarette I'd say, Pass.

That one is tame compared to the she witch I had to deal with.

I almost died (as it were given the topic here) of laughter when the ghost destroyed the card catalogs in that movie. I have worked in libraries long enough that I had to deal with those things - they were truly wretched to maintain.

No worries - can't envision ever wanting to smoke again.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 19:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yeah I can imagine so if all the cards got tipped on the floor having to deal and sort them out into correct order again can't be no joy.

So she was the she devil. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 19:29 
True fan
True fan

This is more like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4pqvGRvIj0

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 19:34 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

bifrostbear wrote:

Yeah that is shocking! And its not even on Laserdisc so you don't have to worry about The She Creature. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 21:04 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:

Yeah that is shocking! And its not even on Laserdisc so you don't have to worry about The She Creature. :lol:

That is actually an interesting movie - parts of it are good but overall it didn't add up. I have it floating about on dvd somewhere. Used to watch it on the local tv (long before even videotapes) on the horror movie night.

Page 1 of 5 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next