It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Add field to allow titles to be searched by cast member
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 11:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I often want to research a complete list of films starrinig a particular actor/actress.
It would be great if there was a pulldown list to select from and issue add a cast member etc and also then search for.
I know you can an advanced search and use Info contains - this works really well for many music titles were tracklistings have been entered however it does not work at all for films.
Usually I end up having to go to other sites and then search for the films again here on this site when it could be a one stop shop all done here.

Post subject: Re: Add field to allow titles to be searched by cast member
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 16:38 
True fan
True fan

Isn't it the basic purpose of imdb.com ?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 17:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I often want to research a complete list of films starrinig a particular actor/actress.

It already exists... It's called IMDb :twisted:

I know it's an external site but what you're asking basically implies to rebuild IMDb from scratch.

It's just not possible. And, believe it or not, the cast information from IMDb is copyrighted and has a paying license for external usage. Even using the IMDb number associated with each movie to build your own database is forbidden.

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 19:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I didn't know about the copyright issues.

I wonder how sites like laserdiscvault.com and dadons-laserdiscs.com overcome this problem since they support this form of searching which means you don't have to spend all day deriving your own film lists via wiki links and then entering them one at a time into LDDB.com to see if the list actually exists.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 22:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I wonder how sites like laserdiscvault.com and dadons-laserdiscs.com overcome this problem since they support this form of searching which means you don't have to spend all day deriving your own film lists via wiki links and then entering them one at a time into LDDB.com to see if the list actually exists.

Unless they paid something to IMDb, they're just outside the legal radar but it's not permitted under IMDb rules.

http://www.moviegoods.com/ initially indexed their inventory based on IMDb internal number, but after a legal claim from IMDb lawyers, they had to scrap it and build their own index.

Reference: http://www.imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions

This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of IMDb. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents or any derivative use of this site or its contents.

Robots and Screen Scraping: You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on this site, except with our express written consent as noted below.

The best I could do would be to parse a live IMDb page and extract the IMDb numbers, then (without caching it, just dynamically) chain them to an existing URL function that allows for multiple IMDb numbers using +.

Ex, X-Men and X-Men 2:

http://www.lddb.com/search/IMDb/0120903+0290334

Julien

Post subject: Re: Add field to allow titles to be searched by cast member  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 11:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
The best I could do would be to parse a live IMDb page and extract the IMDb numbers, then (without caching it, just dynamically) chain them to an existing URL function that allows for multiple IMDb numbers using +.

And this is exactly what I did, see IMDb search based on actor, director, musician, etc.

No data is retained from IMDb, only read from the public page to link IMDb numbers that are not my main catalog index.

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]