It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

Page 2 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the worst anime you've ever seen?
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 22:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It gets way worse that that.

I can actually think of a lot of anime that has zero, ZERO, value to it. That doesn't make it extra terrible though. A lot of stuff is worse that terrible, because at least terrible would be remarkable in some way. Those Final Fantasy OVAs for example. Sounds exciting, at least for FF fans, but actually they are really really not.

I just remembered something...the Panzer Dragoon OVA. That was legit bad. That might actually be "the worst" although there are quite a number of bad anime based on games, often fighting games. The Art of Fighting was super bad.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 00:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Kishin Heidan

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 17:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

yayanalog wrote:
Kishin Heidan

You're a very lucky person if that's the worst anime you've ever seen. I personally like this show quite a bit.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 21:48 
signofzeta wrote:
yayanalog wrote:
Kishin Heidan

You're a very lucky person if that's the worst anime you've ever seen. I personally like this show quite a bit.

grave digging but only because i agree and its relevant haha. I just finished kishin heidan and if thats the worst you have seen, then yea you must be on a life-long hot streak. It definitely dragged and got a bit convoluted in the second half, but overall still pretty enjoyable.

For me, its hard to say 'worst' because when something is really bad i either don't finish it, or only remember good parts after a while has passed ha.

So I would say probably the first project A-ko. And its partially because I wanted to like it, cuz on paper it sounds great, but it just didn't do anything for me. Probably others worth metioning are humanoid and angel cop.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 01:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You're crazy. A-ko is pure classic, 100 better than Kishen Heiden for sure. The animation is terrific and it's hilarious.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 03:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Personally I found A-Ko very funny, even before I'd seen enough other older anime to catch many of the references. But, de gustibus...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 06:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What's the point in debating what you dislike the most? It's probably the most uninteresting subject of them all. I'm not saying that there isn't anime I dislike but I get a feeling that Signofzeta isn't really an optimistic guy.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 06:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The title is not "anime" per se, however it is animated, and it impressed the heck out me.
To buck this thread of "worst", really liked the creation of Rene Laloux's "Lightyears" (ID6704VK) circa 1989...
Seemed a bit heavymetalish but an original storyline and unusual creature stock made for a memorable viewing experience.....

Check this animated movie out if you have not already ! Far cry from "worst ever seen" lol !

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 07:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a copy of the same director's Fantastic Planet. "Light Years" I saw long ago on a rental VHS — ever since, I've wanted a copy of the original version, "Metal Men against Gandahar".

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 07:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

publius wrote:
I have a copy of the same director's Fantastic Planet. "Light Years" I saw long ago on a rental VHS — ever since, I've wanted a copy of the original version, "Metal Men against Gandahar".

I read you publius ......
FANTASTIC PLANET - (RGL9628/BELL-41/3126-4) - Another epic creation from Rene Laloux circa 1971. The Roan Group released a superb gatefold with single gold LaserDisc platter.
One of my all time fav's on LD.
Won the Cannes festival in 1972.
Based on a book by Stefan Wul called "Oms en Serie"...
As with Lightyears, one heck of an original story along with such an unusual creature stock that cannot help but make one scratch their heads in wonder.
The imagination of that group involved with FP was commendable.

Apologies once again for bucking the thread signofzeta, Fantastic Planet is one of the best animated science fiction movies of all time ..........
If by chance a reader has not visited this movie, CHECK IT OUT ................

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 07:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:

No kidding, those movies are rad as hell. They're all on Youtube now. I went through a bunch of stuff like that last year, including Les Mondes Engloutis which is terrific. I didn't have much interest in it back when Nickelodeon ran it in the 80s but now I really appreciate the style of it all, and the music as well.

The pont of the thread wasn't to "debate which is worst", I was just trying to figure out what could be considered a bunch of the worst stuff and we'd draw our own conclusions from there. I only stood up for those two shows because they aren't on any spectrum of bad. A-ko in particular is regarded as a classic by and large and an example of the excellence of 80s anime. It isn't even slightly bad, if anything it's bizarrely too good for what it was meant to be, like other things in the Cream Lemon world. If someone were to ask "What is the worst scifi movie you've seen?" and someone said, "Alien"...you'd think they misunderstood the question or something.

So far I think Art of Fighting and Panzer Dragoon are maybe as bad as it gets without going to hentai, in which case everything is so offensive its impossible to even grasp the scale of its terribleness.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 08:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Glad you defended A-ko......
Nearly embarrassed to defend it myself not being any kind of authority on anime. I loved all the project a-ko titles. Was actually my first introduction to anime in the late 90's.
Specially liked battle one Grey side and battle two blue side...... fun stuff kids.

All in all this thread has been very enjoyable brining out the "worst" and also the "best" by default.

Cheers mates .....

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 23:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

nissling wrote:
What's the point in debating what you dislike the most? It's probably the most uninteresting subject of them all. I'm not saying that there isn't anime I dislike but I get a feeling that Signofzeta isn't really an optimistic guy.

Nissling - did you get out of bed on the wrong side this week by chance?
It sure feels like it from some of the grumpy replies you've been posting lately!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this thread signofzeta started.
Why wouldn't you want to know about the duff anime titles?
Also a list of stinkers to avoid is way more fun to read about than all the good ones because you don't get burned wasting money on them.

From my own perspective I know very little about anime other than what I saw as a kid 35 years ago
such as Battle of the Planets so any info on the subject I find useful, particularly if it helps me avoid the worst titles out there.
I don't want to fill my shelves with a load of junk.

I also respect the honesty of those who have admitted to buying or at least watching these turkeys!
In addition I like the bravery of those who dare to defend them! - that's diversity for you and it
leaves it up to the reader to make their own mind up which is how it should be in life since everyone
has different opinions.

Lighten up my friend! :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 01:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think this thread it fun. Always nice to see different opinions. Still haven't run across anything I really couldn't stand watching. Might be because I can see humor in almost everything... :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 04:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

To me, a bad movie is a bad movie. If it's bad, I don't care if there's anything worse. No matter which shade it is, it's still crap. We all know that they don't make a good anime out of a dozen, so why give those even more attention instead of lifting up the good ones (those that you rarely see to begin with)?

And even worse is when people try to convince other people that famous films, music artists or video games cannot be considered bad by anyone. Guess what? In Sweden, people hate Ingmar Bergman. This is probably extremely offensive to all film snobs out there. I don't care, I think he's boring for the most part.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 16:00 
signofzeta wrote:
publius wrote:

TIf someone were to ask "What is the worst scifi movie you've seen?" and someone said, "Alien"...you'd think they misunderstood the question or something.

lettttsss pump the breaks for a moment haha. I will not doubt that if I knew more of 'in' jokes, maybe i would like it more;
but I've seen Alien.
I like Alien.
Alien is a great film...........My friend Project A-ko is no Alien. :lol:

It has its place and credit due in anime history, but I see it more of a cult classic than a pinnacle of the genre like alien would be to sci-fi, IMO. And it is probably reviewed more harshly through my eyes, BECAUSE of the hype I had going in to it. I love 80s anime, love over-the-top action, love fan-service. So like i said, on paper, it looked like it would be amazing. For me the comedy just didn't land like when you see any bad parody of spoof film. And since that's basically the backbone of the movie, unfortunately that meant there was little room for it redeem itself.

But as stated above, let's definitely not get in the quagmire of trying to convince someone else of a subjective evaluation. I respect what anyone wants to like and share. One man's A-ko is another man's Nausicaa haha

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 18:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

bizbeagle wrote:
One man's A-ko is another man's Nausicaa haha

True that. Some of my friends think I'm nuts for enjoying Dune (by David Lynch) and Highlander 2, yet they find pleasure in watching India Song and Last Year in Marienbad which I've seen both of but cannot stand.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 00:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm not trying to say that A-ko is the greatest thing ever, it's certainly not in my top 10 or anything, but if you consider it genuinly "bad" then you just don't understand animation or even film. It isn't bad. It just isn't. At times, it's technically brilliant even, specifically the action direction which is terrific. While most of the time it's one giant in-joke that only fanboys get. It isn't bad though, not anything like bad. If other people's hype destroyed it for you in advance because it didn't cure your cancer as promised or whatever...that's entirely your problem. "Bad" means the animation sucks, the story doesn't go anywhere when it seems like it will any second, etc. When I asked for "worst" anime, I was asking for informed opinion, not throwaway commentary based on one individuals specific needs. It's hard to even see A-ko as "flawed" since its overall well roundedness is its main appeal. "Flawed" would well describe something like Birth (1984) which is absolutely amazing but fell apart so bad during production that they left out tons of sound FX and dialogue, including all the spoken word in the finale. Transformers is "bad". MD Geist is bad. Mad Bull is bad. A-ko is not bad.

Opinions have importance, but words have meanings.

I've honestly got way more problems with Alien since it's really just another dumb "single survivor" horror movie set in space masquerading as genuine sci-fi. It's pretty knee-capped by its whole premise, even if it's one of the best examples of it. I was specifically trying to think of a good B+ movie to compare it too, so I picked something decent.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 00:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I should clarify, because nobody has specified, that my defense is of the first Project A-ko. The subsequent sequels all declined in quality and the "versus" ones aren't even worth watching, IMO. I'm not sure who that's for, really.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 02:52 
that's cool man you like it so more power to you.

However I gotta say at no point did I come at you or your taste, so let's just chill, it's an opinion thread. All I did was clarify my statements and always only spoke about the movie and my relationship with it. I tend to never doubt myself but I haaave been wrong once or twice before 8-) but after a defense like that maybe I need to give it to another go?? Haha

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2016, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Page 2 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next