It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:16

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Someone bring some fun talk please
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 20:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I count 5 or 6 new posts other than the troubleshooting and repair posts. Nobody has anything fun to talk about (related or not to LD)?

Post subject: Re: Someone bring some fun talk please
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 22:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've tried, seems to be less than 50 folks following this forum these days. :(

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 23:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've posted some reviews of LDs that I've been watching but only had 1 response, its hard when others just want to bash.
Feel like the forum was best in the past, and that past wasn't that long ago :cry:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 04:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I agree. We should make a poll and find out what really interest most people here. I know the old timers have enough knowledge and stories to tell. We are probably not hitting the right ones hence the lack of interest.

I agree the bashing must stop.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 09:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just like I said, I think forper brought a lot of negative energy into that forum. We need to get rid of all the haters.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 14:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Maybe some people must understand that this is a laserdisc forum and have some respect for the laserdisc collectors.ld is a great format that even today stands as the most niche video format ever.
I have seen people showing lds and getting messages like " how much you paid for it". I mean last week there was an eBay auction for stigmata ending at about 700 usd.i have this on dvd and I don't like the movie that much but I have to say that this is a very rare ld.Or I have seen sellers here on lddb getting hate about the price they are asking.dont get me wrong but if I put on sale something that nobody has I will ask whatever I want.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 16:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't think it helps at all to point out the haters, there is another guy who attacks with curses.
But no matter we want to focus on fun talk like substance posted originally.

And as for prices of LDs selling, I've sold 8 LDs over the last 3 weeks on ebay that just sat stagnant in my shop here on LDDB.
So to me a disc selling for a high price on ebay is fine as long as we don't bash them, unless we are jealous of it :think: :clap:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 16:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So I took up a bit of an engagement with a FB LD page. It's not bad at all; but honestly if you extract only two aspects:

1) showing off what I have/just bought
2) selling stuff

Then there's little more (actually I think less) going on than what there is here on this forum, and TBH I kind of lost interest quite quickly. One of the great things about lddb forums is that largely unlike FB it builds up a searchable database of information that for those of us with half a brain, can most of the time find all the answers we need. So over time the need for active conversation on those topics becomes somewhat less. Not to say that there's still many unanswered questions of course...

As for sales then if you're an active seller then why wouldn't you exploit all avenues available to you? For me personally, if I'm going to place an order I much prefer the systems and backup of lddb than going out on a limb with some total random on a FB post, and ebay 98% of the time presents worse value for money.

Specifically for these forums in this age, perhaps an effective app for mobile devices including the easy posting of images may be the answer to engage more people, I'm sure that's where the majority of FB input comes from?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 17:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Personally, I love the disc reviews, I've probably read all of them.

I recently joined the Laserdisc Forever Facebook group due to the void here, they are a very entertaining bunch. They do need some help from the "Old Guard" though.

Even for them "Facebook Forever" with over 5000 followers recently did a "who's out there" post, received less than 200 replies.

With the price of Blu-rays coming down and finding them along with hddvds in the used market, I find myself spending less time with my LDs, may be that's true for the rest of us.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 17:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

allenwrench wrote:
I recently joined the Laserdisc Forever Facebook group due to the void here, they are a very entertaining bunch. They do need some help from the "Old Guard" though.

Even for them "Facebook Forever" with over 5000 followers recently did a "who's out there" post, received less than 200 replies.

I think the key too, is to work out how best to bring them to the wealth of information here rather than us migrating to somewhere else!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 17:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

allenwrench wrote:

With the price of Blu-rays coming down and finding them along with hddvds in the used market, I find myself spending less time with my LDs, may be that's true for the rest of us.

The problem with LD is that the more time passes the more limited the entire LD catalogue becomes. When I started collecting LDs in 2001, most known movies at that time were
available on LD including Fight Club or Star Wars Episode I. Even in 2005 or 2007 that was the case but today it is different.
That's why I think that people like us start using their LD players less and less. And I also think disclord's early demise most certainly had an impact on the forum as a whole.
His expertise will forever be missed. His posts were simply awesome.
I still love my HLD-XO and I am still interested in it but the truth is it is becoming more and more difficult to find appealing titles for it. I have already watched the
majority of titles from the 20th century that I would be interested in it.
I love the reviews, too. They are awesome. That's one of the best things about this forum.
If it wasn't for this site I think my interested in LD as a format would have long vanished.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:
And I also think disclord's early demise most certainly had an impact on the forum as a whole.

I missed this era of the forum as it happened, but still read and very much valued what I found of what disclord had to say about LD through searching for information.

Have to say though that the search function of lddb itself is not the best; perhaps that might be a focus for improvement?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:
The problem with LD is that the more time passes the more limited the entire LD catalogue becomes. When I started collecting LDs in 2001, most known movies at that time were
available on LD including Fight Club or Star Wars Episode I. Even in 2005 or 2007 that was the case but today it is different.
That's why I think that people like us start using their LD players less and less.

I still love my HLD-XO and I am still interested in it but the truth is it is becoming more and more difficult to find appealing titles for it. I have already watched the

Well it is a dead format with no new releases; so if you are the kind of person to watch something only once; or not hold nostalgia for the format; then it must eventually die for you too. Or at least become something of nostalgic interest more like the antique car collector?

Even so I think we can still derive much enjoyment from what we have!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

One thing I've really picked up from the FB experience is that as much as anything, that exposure is about bringing LD to a whole new generation who are excited about it and actively collecting discs and players, with a view to preserving rather than just junking them. That might just be directly responsible for some of the crazy prices we sometimes see but this kind of thing is what will also keep interest in the format alive well past the cease of manufacturing.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 18:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

In a world of instant gratification Facebook has its hook. More entertaining than informative and, I have to admit, addictive.

Seems most groups have their Oracles, Facebook has theirs, Disclord was one of ours.

Maybe with their growing interest they might seek out the information here.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 21:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

confederate wrote:
allenwrench wrote:

That's why I think that people like us start using their LD players less and less. And I also think disclord's early demise most certainly had an impact on the forum as a whole.
I love the reviews, too. They are awesome. That's one of the best things about this forum.
If it wasn't for this site I think my interested in LD as a format would have long vanished.

Hi guys,

I couldn't agree more with many of the comments already made here, particularly those of giannis, audioboyz1973, and confederate. I haven't been too involved recently in many discussions on the forum, because it does seem to me that the tone here has become increasingly nasty and confrontational. I try my best not to be a part of those types of situations. I'd rather say nothing at all than to spread anger and malice among those who should be friends, my fellow collectors. With regard to confederate's comment, this is truly THE website for anyone who is a serious collector of this great old format. True, the LD catalog is a finite list, and may be very limited from the viewpoint of some among us. However, we are rapidly closing in on 57000 titles documented here on the format! Anyone who can't find something to like on a list that extensive must be EXTREMELY picky, or only likes new movies. In any case, they certainly don't belong here. From my perspective, I think there is a wealth of worthwhile programming available on this format to last me for many years to come! Furthermore, I'm convinced that there are still many more titles not yet listed here, and I believe that 60000 is a readily attainable number that we will reach in the near future, if we all keep sharing information and adding new titles to the database as we come across them. Let's all keep helping Julien to add to this great site, and preserve the history of this wonderful format for future generations of collectors! Don't give in to the hate! :thumbup:

Best Regards,
David :wave:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 22:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

About haters, most are just looking for attention, ignore them and don't feed them and they usually go away. Or just read their stuff as fiction and entertainment. One bad apple an all.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 23:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening to : Substance, Laserking, Allenwrench, Audioboyz1973, Confederate, Rein-o, Giannis & Firehorse44,

Guys it's so good to read your posts of concern, enthusiasm, maybe worrying, and of the realisation that this fine format is cherished by those here.

All of your comments are valued and I agree with what you have all mentioned and more.

I must own up to the fact that my own lack of input here has been due to the fact that my KURO 60' Plasma screen has become unwatchable, and either this can possibly be repaired, or replaced with a 4K Screen.

Suffice to say that I have not been watching any Laserdiscs of late.

My hope is to purchase a 4K Screen, but unfortunately available funds are lacking and also because I paid up a loan 3 1/2 years early, I have got used to being debt free....... It's a Lovely feeling.

You know what guys, I have made good Friends Here and one Friend in particular is now a Friend for life.
For this very individual is more like a Brother a priceless Gift.
May we all look upon each member as gifts in Men & Women here, because without viewing each member as such, then this surely diminishes this site ''for it is with such members that make it work & worth visiting each time''.

---------------------------------------

I have been a customer to two retailers and both have helped myself with purchases where it has taken myself a number of payments over the phone, to complete ie: they keep the product in store until paid for and then they have delivered, or I have picked this up in person.

It can be tough waiting for equipment this way but at least it stops myself from getting in debt.

I must also mention that I very rarely go on any other forums, due to the fact that I enjoy and have become acustomed to appreciating your posts here Guys.
The only other sites that I personally visit to keep up with the new tech is as follows: AV FORUMS UK / BLU-RAY.COM, However I have not posted on these sites for a long time, I just browse and read about the latest Software and hardware releases.

The negative input posts here I have largely ignorred as I do not wish to add anything, it's often not that healthy to do so, and can in some cases feed the Fire ''if you know what I mean''

I know that at times I have sent Personal messeges to those who I have not corresponded with for some time, in order to inform them that they are appreciated, and well thought of.
I do appreciate this site and it's members however, I feel that we would welcome a SKYPE feature or the like where we could communicate, what I am saying is that this site could offer more, in order to bring us enthusiasts closer........

I am not sure with in what form this could take, or some other similar ehanced comms feature ........ What say you?

Some time ago we shared photos of ourselves, so that we could see those with whom we were / are communicating with, and I for one fealt closer to each member...... no matter how small, and the point is this: it brought us a little closer somehow by putting a photo to each individuals post contribution.

Sorry for myself going on Guys but I am just speaking out loud here, in the hope that by combining thoughts & minds we could invigorate the interest back to those healthy joyful levels that we once had.

I hope this message ''just like what I have read from yourselves'' helps in some way to bring back the joy.

Yes of course this format ended production of Movies late September 2001, and yes the Prices of around 12 titles are, or can be astronomical to the point that I have not been able to purchase what I would Like ie: TITAN A.E in particular.

Laserdisc enthusiasm for me has not faded but the newer Blu-Ray / UHG4K titles speak for themselves.

I love the look of laserdisc, the handling, the sound of the players ect, and the rest is what it is & that is a natural journey, but you know what I am so glad that I have never parted with my LD Software & Hardware collection..........

Any way I shall end this message by mentioning that we need to stick together and keep going, form more friendships, and turn this site into an even more unique experience than it already is.

What say yourselves?

Sincerest Regards to everyone.

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

Last edited by benmbe on 03 Apr 2017, 02:20, edited 12 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 01:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Was going to post, and then read benmbe's comments.......

The man said it all.......
Hats off to you benmbe...... this Forum is better having the likes of you participating.......

Hang tough guys....... it may be a "dead" format..... just know it is alive and well in my home !

Cheers mates !

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 13:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I entirely concur with David's previous statement and I also appreciate all his past contributions to this site. David is right. There is still a lot left to be discovered on Laserdisc and I personally find
the more obscure tittles much more interesting than some of the Hollywood blockbusters from the 90s. Plus the sound quality is excellent and often better than on DVD or even Blu Ray. It still makes
sense to collect Laserdiscs but I also watch it less than I used to but I think that will change in the future.
The MUSE catalogue is even much more limited. There are only a bit more than 100 titles available on it but I still decided to spend quite a lot of money just be able to watch them at home even if I only own seven titles.

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next