It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:39

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: MCA DiscoVision Collectors?
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 06:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It plays really well, I don't have a high end player (CLD-D406) but the transfer looks very good to me. The nature scenes especially look sharp.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 21:46 
True fan
True fan

I love DiscoVision, but I only have 19 titles so far. My favorite, obviously, is ABBA. I also collect Magnetic Video releases, including their Japanese counterparts.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 21:53 
True fan
True fan

tasuke wrote:
anyone as obsessive over a long-outmoded home video format as us LD enthusiasts generally tend to be,
would, in all probability, be considered quite "Weird" indeed in the eyes of about 99.9999999999999999999999% of the world population...

Try collecting CEDs too, or being an American collector of VHDs. ;)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 18:00 
True fan
True fan

Update: With the exception of a few packaging variations, I now have at least one good copy of every title (that we know of!) released by MCA for consumers under the DiscoVision name. :clap:

Right now I'm working on finding non-GM industrial titles. I recently purchased a crazy disc from our own user "cjm" on which a Library of Congress training program (for LoC employees) occupies side A and a Medical Radiology tutorial occupies side B.

I'm also going through the 600 or so discs-without-covers I received along with the Charles Shishkevish collection and have run across many sides from unreleased titles including one that hasn't been found elsewhere: Solo (1972) on the back of side 5 of Coal Miner's Daughter.

… and I surprisingly have no fewer than five copies of side 3 of the unreleased "The Monkey's Uncle". :crazy:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 18:02 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
Cool :) How well does it play? (31-32dB isn't that great for a handpicked disk, but I guess it was acceptable to them then)

I purchased this from cjm and can report that it looks much, much better than what you'd expect from 31-32dB VSNR.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 20:33 
True fan
True fan

Just bought "The Birds" last night. My first Discovision LD, the seller said playback was good in Description, I'm eager to try it out...

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2023, 21:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

signofzeta wrote:
You people are weird.

I dislike the look, myself. (Yes, maybe those who like it ARE weird, but then all LD fans are nerds in some way, and therefore a subset of the weird world.)

I dislike it because the cover should fill the cover, not be hidden behind some kind of sheet that is partially ripped open to see what's inside. Nevertheless, I THINK I have a few in my collection of 450+ titles (half given to me), so I'm going to trek next week across town to my storage to browse through.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2023, 23:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
You people are weird.

Oh, heavens yes! Thank you. :D

I forgot how many Discovision titles I have, but it is several dozen, including some nice ones such as House Calls and Looking For Mr. Goodbar. I have not looked for any of these discs in years.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2023, 05:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
Every single copy of "Picture Music" I have ever seen is garbage, both the US release and the Japanese release.

I know this is a resurrection of an antique topic, but this comment caught my attention because "Picture Music' was one of the first five Laser Discs I bought after getting my mostly-working VP-1000 player in 1984. I just put my copy on my newly-repaired CLD-D704, and it looks near-flawless, in every song. This is on a 77-inch Sony OLED display. Maybe my '704 is truly hiding problems? (I have a PR-8210 that worked last time I tried it several years ago, maybe it will not look as good in that?)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2023, 14:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

While not discs themselves, I love my early Discovision Chevrolet dealer kiosk and all its shag carpet glory!

Now if only I could find the TV for it that isnt $1000 on ebay...

Ebay

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2023, 06:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I worked at DiscoVision in Carson CA 1981 and we had more rejects than good pressings. quality control was difficult. We would actually play a clear disc directly from the mold presser and determine if the master was defective. from there the clear disc went to the metalizing dept to have the coating baked on. after that the two sides were glued together. another quality control check was done to view the finished disc. hundreds of rejected disc were discarded daily.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2023, 06:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ace2184 wrote:
While the covers are kind of cool, and I understand the history of the discs themselves, I personally usually pass over disco vision discs when I run across them. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but everything I've heard is that they're not mastered very well. Also I believe they're all pan and scan? Which I'm not opposed to depending on the movie, but meh. Not for me. Cool pictures nonetheless.

I worked at DiscoVision in Carson CA 1981 and we had more rejects than good pressings. quality control was difficult. We would actually play a clear disc directly from the mold presser and determine if the master was defective. from there the clear disc went to the metalizing dept to have the coating baked on. after that the two sides were glued together. another quality control check was done to view the finished disc. hundreds of rejected disc were discarded daily.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 00:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

sirhcx wrote:
While not discs themselves, I love my early Discovision Chevrolet dealer kiosk and all its shag carpet glory!

Now if only I could find the TV for it that isnt $1000 on ebay...

That is very cool! I never knew they had specific kiosks in the dealer locations.

Is it a specific TV set that the kiosks used? It appears that a 19-inch set would fit in it. Ideally, it would have been a Magnavox set, as they were the first USA consumer sets to have comb filters for full NTSC broadcast resolution (330 lines), as of 1979-80.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 00:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rickituarte wrote:
I worked at DiscoVision in Carson CA 1981

Thank you for your interesting notes. I have read previously about some of the challenges and the processes in the Carson plant. As you may know well already, the prices for Discovision releases started at US$10 for two-disc (or maybe some three-disc?) black-and-white classic movies and $16 for two-to-three-disc modern/color movies (and less for other content) in 1978-79, then went to $16 for the classics and $25 for the recent movies pretty quickly, and then had hit $30 for new movies by late 1980 and stayed there for the big switch to all Extended Play releases (on one or two discs), or maybe even went to $35 for the two-disc ones.

I have to wonder whether the financial pressures that were clear from those price increases caused conflicts in the manufacturing at the Carson facility. Early (Standard Play) Discovision discs often had clearly visible defects in the playing surfaces, but that may have got much better by 1981 and 1982. I know many discs even in the Extended Play era still had quality issues, but that was true to some extent with all Laser Discs up until the late 1980s (and I am not counting "laser rot" at all here). I bought an Extended Play copy of Animal House brand-new in about 1986 from a store in San Francisco that got hold of a big quantity of unsold Discovision discs at that time, and it appeared to be at or near-flawless. Unfortunately, my only player then was a Pioneer LD-700, the first LED-laser player, and it was lousy with Discovision discs, so I returned the Animal House disc.

I would love to see any other comments or notes about your experiences at the Discovision factory. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3