It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is anime just manga preview?
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 22:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Greetings everyone. Thought I'd bring up a new discussion topic.

I would still consider myself a rookie when it comes to this type of Japanese media, but after watching a lot of different anime, both new and old, I find that many never have a proper conclusion at the ending. The series never finish properly, some stop more abrupt than others. Looking up the manga, I find many anime adaptations start while the manga is ongoing. Some are made afterwards, or have some OVAs or similar that cover some chapters not in the series. Still, a lot never seem to have a conclusive ending even after the manga has ended. I kind of get the impression that many anime series are just a sort of preview to the manga. If you actually want the whole story, especially an ending, you have to read. I haven't read many manga, so I might be wrong. However, I've looked up some on different forums, and most people seem to say "read the manga to get the ending/proper ending". Any input on this?

Post subject: Re: Is anime just manga preview?
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 02:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I assume you're talking about LD era stuff. In the case of stuff like Appleseed, Choujin R, Outlanders, or anything else where the manga lasts for years and they only make one OVA, basically the economic reality is that the fans of that manga don't don't kick in enough money to keep an anime series going. A manga is one guy and five assistants. Even bad anime needs at least 100 staff. Even something very low end like Fist of the North Star was probably $60,000 an episode to produce back in 1985. That's fine if you are Fist of the North Star (madly popular) but if it's not a Jump series (circulation of 15M a week when DBZ was going) then coming up with the $1.5M needed to make six months of TV anime will be hard. Nowadays $1M an ep is cheap for western stuff (which is amazing to me, since "good American animation" outside of theatrical kiddie crap barely exists) I don't know what Japanese budgets are like now.

Sponsorship, it all comes down to sponsorship. Gundam sells a lot of models and video games so even if the show is so bad nobody has ever actually seen it all (Gundam 00, I swear) it won't matter because the toy company is basically just buying ad time. OVAs have no ads. They don't play in theaters (with rare exception) and Japan is small.

If the show is adults only, home video only, not based on a manga and has no merch...you're screwed. Nobody will produce it. You'll have to pay for it with preorders alone.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 23:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Japan is small.

:?:

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 03:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Rather than "manga preview" maybe one could said "a manga fan's reward". Seeing your favorite characters move, even for 30 minutes, is better than nothing. :)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 03:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah I'm actually amazed to see OVAs done for a short run manga.
Why would there be a 10 issue and spend the time and money to make a 30-60 minute one shot OVA :?
Still glad to have them but shocked none the less.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 05:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm kind of surprised Choujin R didn't get more than 30 minutes. They made a number of drama records, I think a radio play, and a "making of" video of the 30 minute OVA they made.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]