It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:31

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Late release LD prices still fetching good money it seems
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 20:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Sixth Day LD sold yesterday on Ebay for $1125:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sixth-Day-J ... 7675.l2557
Both front corners were damaged but it didn't seem to hurt the final price!

Stigmata sold a few weeks earlier for $612 from the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIGMATA-Japan- ... 1858729281

I think late release prices are still on the rise.

Post subject: Re: Late release LD prices still fetching good money it seem
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 21:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I noticed there is a $9750 bid for The Cell on lddb. Someone wants it really bad. Those rare titles are finding their places in collectors shelves. Those collectors are buying them for keepers which make them even more rare.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 22:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes pretty amazing, I've been selling some older rare titles for big money.
Glad its happening for our older discs too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 17:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I wonder how high these prices can go before there are no buyers left.
If you pay $10,000 or more for a title it would be tough to sell it on at a later stage so you'll generally be stuck with it.

As a general rule of thumb Ebay is usually cheaper than LDDB.com because the auctions start low and find the real market price from bidders. That said I've never seen a copy of The Cell for sale once on Ebay in over 11 years of collecting. I would love to know what it would fetch in an auction today. The copy I picked up turned up from a private seller on LDDB.com 5 years ago for $500. Looking back I got a very good deal on that one. :thumbup:

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 14 Apr 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 17:53 
True fan
True fan

I've yet to see a copy of The World Is Not Enough on ebay, atleast recently
I'd be interested to see what it would go for.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 18:43 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

In response to laserdisc fan, i got my copy of The Cell in May 2008 from ebay.co.uk. I got it for around $320 from a seller in France... The exchange rate from USD to GBP was quite favourable back then.. it didnt come with the obi :(

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 22:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So I picked up a copy of U-571 in November 2015 absolutely friggin mint with obi - it was on YJP and the seller had a 'buy-it-now' of 5000 Yen, needless to say I hit that bid button as fast as I could, even after the exchange rate and double shipping it cost me $85AU. OK - So absolutely right place right time, and admittedly I've paid stupid money for stuff I really wanted since.

The bargains can be found if you're very patient, though I totally agree with this post - Thanks to the internet and perhaps the role of FB sites in that, I think there's a bit of resurgence in interest in LD. For me with lots of gaps in what I'd like that's bad in a price kind of way, but at the end of the day I have to think that maintaining interest in this format (even the 'collectards' along the way) has got to be a good thing overall.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 22:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The Beach sold 2 days ago on LDDB.com for $701.52 - further confirmation of an upward trend.
That was one of the more common PILF-28 title selling for around $140-$170 for many years on LDDB.com.

Prices on the more obscure PILF-28 titles look set to rise to 4 ($$$$) or even 5 ($$$$$) figure sums soon as collectors scramble to gather the last few remaining available.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 22:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
The Beach sold 2 days on LDDB.com for $701.52 - further confirmation of an upward trend.
That was one of the more common PILF-28 title selling for around $140-$170 for many years on LDDB.com.

Prices on the more obscure PILF-28 titles look set to rise to 4 ($$$$) or even 5 figure ($$$$$) sums soon as collectors scramble to gather the last few remaining available.

There does seem to be some upwards pressure going on. Let's not talk it up too much just yet eh???

:D ;)

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 15 Apr 2017, 10:50, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 13:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
So I picked up a copy of U-571 in November 2015 absolutely friggin mint with obi - it was on YJP and the seller had a 'buy-it-now' of 5000 Yen, needless to say I hit that bid button as fast as I could, even after the exchange rate and double shipping it cost me $85AU. OK - So absolutely right place right time, and admittedly I've paid stupid money for stuff I really wanted since.

The bargains can be found if you're very patient, though I totally agree with this post - Thanks to the internet and perhaps the role of FB sites in that, I think there's a bit of resurgence in interest in LD. For me with lots of gaps in what I'd like that's bad in a price kind of way, but at the end of the day I have to think that maintaining interest in this format (even the 'collectards' along the way) has got to be a good thing overall.

Well said.

Patience can pay off in the long run, often years though.

It's a great feeling finding a wee gem at a good price.

A spike in some prices, perhaps a few wealthy buyers/collectors willing to pay high just now.

The really scarce discs have jumped by quite a bit but will it last - time will tell.

Happy hunting :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 16:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well I know I've reached my limit on the rarities. MI2 and U571 are films that don't rock my boat, perhaps im willing to pay $350 for Titan AE, but for me im not spending lots on any more rare titles.. Im happy (for now...)

I just paid $125 for Pioneer: AV Creator (50 Years of History) (1988) [PIO-0050E] last week, for the rare documentary. I cant see anyone else wanting to pay that for a doc on Pioneer Electronics..

The only other disc im after is 07-562 Leonard Nimoy Demonstrates the Magnavision Videodisc Player. DaDon has one listed on ebay but as he hasn't posted a picture or replied to my emails i assume its an unplayable rot-fest..

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 13:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Out of curiosity, how many units have been printed of the late releases such as The Cell and Sixth Day? I imagine it was not less than 10K for the whole world?

Anyway, $500+ for a rare LD movie will give ideas to other sellers that "Then this $3 LD movie must be worth at least $60!" making it difficult for a guy like me looking to experience the medium

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 19:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Back when I started collecting LDs in 2006 there were quite a few sellers on LDDB.com selling laserdiscs for $300 or more that you could buy in Japan for literally $5-10. That's the main reason I got myself setup with a Japanese proxy ASAP. It's no secret where the good titles were coming from.

Wind the clock forward 11 years and things are very different. There are still lots of laserdiscs in Japan but the range and quality isn't what it used to be. In 2006 it was like looking at an ocean of rare music LDs as far as the eye could see. I used to ship at least 1000 discs per year from Japan. Every year that number has dropped as there are fewer titles of interest or the condition is not what it used to be. I'm now down to about 150-200 per year max and I've a lot more work to even find those.

As for late release movies I only started collecting those in 2012. If I had left it any later I would not have been able to afford them. I often purchased duplicates and sold those to help offset the cost and that had worked well. Collecting the most sought after late release movies in 2017 is actually a lot more expensive than saving for a Porsche. They are also a lot harder to obtain, regardless of the cost which will be the least of your worries if you are serious about obtaining them. You'll need a lot of time, money and patience if you want them all!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 16:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdisc_fan wrote:
As for late release movies I only started collecting those in 2012. If I had left it any later I would not have been able to afford them.

I thought Stigmata was selling for high prices but even YAJ has caught the fever:

レア!!未開封LD☆スティグマータ 聖痕【ワイド】
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p551720113

Sold for JPY 66,000 = US$605

Julien

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 23:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

To play devil's advocate, I just watched this auction for the 6th Sense go for about $25. Might have gone higher if the seller was more well known and if it had the OBI. But still, not too bad for a late release.
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g213306043 (https://archive.is/1qbzj)

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 02:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This is good for me. I had no interest in them prior, I surely won't have any interest with ever increasing prices then. I need so much money in upcoming harware upgrades, I don't see myself spending big bucks on LDs. This is good for the collectors too, I less person to worry about when bidding on these.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 02:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
I thought Stigmata was selling for high prices but even YAJ has caught the fever:

レア!!未開封LD☆スティグマータ 聖痕【ワイド】
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p551720113

Sold for JPY 66,000 = US$605

Julien

It's interesting to look at the sales history of that disc. For 10 years it consistently sat at around 150-200US then after a sales gap of 2.5 years it suddenly jumped to $1300 last year. Was that a true reflection of the market or just one person desperate to fill a gap in a collection with the money to burn? Perhaps a bit of both? Supply has always been a bit sketchy but perhaps over the last few years interest (=demand) has really picked up through forums like this and LDF.

Either way it's not surprising that bleeds over to YAJ as I'm sure many of the people who visit here & LDF also watch the YAJ auctions. So compared to that $1300 sale perhaps this most recent sale is a bit of a 'market correction'?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 03:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

virtualvcr wrote:
To play devil's advocate, I just watched this auction for the 6th Sense go for about $25. Might have gone higher if the seller was more well known and if it had the OBI. But still, not too bad for a late release.
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g213306043 (https://archive.is/1qbzj)

A couple of months ago I picked this up for 5000JPY. It arrived it immaculate condition like it had just left the factory and was complete with obi.

It's a July 2000 release so about as late as it gets. But it's not part of the PILF-28XX series so perhaps just doesn't get the same attention. Personally I think it's a better movie than some of the PILF-28's picking up the big bucks!!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 05:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Back when I started collecting LDs in 2006 there were quite a few sellers on LDDB.com selling laserdiscs for $300 or more that you could buy in Japan for literally $5-10. That's the main reason I got myself setup with a Japanese proxy ASAP. It's no secret where the good titles were coming from.

Wind the clock forward 11 years and things are very different. There are still lots of laserdiscs in Japan but the range and quality isn't what it used to be. In 2006 it was like looking at an ocean of rare music LDs as far as the eye could see.

The secret got out!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 10:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

audioboyz1973 wrote:
It's interesting to look at the sales history of that disc. For 10 years it consistently sat at around 150-200US then after a sales gap of 2.5 years it suddenly jumped to $1300 last year.

The copy of Stigmata I own was the one purchased on LDDB.com 2012-06-04 for $164.50. One of the last before pricing went stratospheric. I'm glad I bought it when I did because the trend I've seen in general is sharp steep rises in prices over the last 5 years. I can think of many other examples from LDDB.com where I got on the graph just before it spiked. There was a window around 2011-2013 where a lot of late releases were still available at affordable prices but I knew that was never going to last so I made hay while the sun was shining and snapped up as many as I could.

Since LDDB.com is seen as something of a reference for prices, other sites are now following suit which is natural. This is then re-enforcing the current pricing whether it is justified or not. Sadly it's a trend that means all but the richest will be priced out of the market. I've often wondered could the laserdisc bubble ever burst and if it does will it end in tears like the housing market, since both are based on supply and demand. I think the key difference for laserdiscs is that rarer titles will continue to dwindle over time, particularly pristine, complete copies as fewer and fewer are resold. There is never going to be a situation where stocks are replenished like the housing market. There are still far more collectors for these titles than supply can ever meet at this stage and any renewed interest in the format can only exasperate the situation further. I anticipate even higher prices and some nuclear bids on auctions as the competition really starts to heat up! :think:

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next