It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Types of Closed Caption?
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 15:30 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hi,

I have tested the Megasoft CC decoder. Attached a photo of the unit.

All laserdiscs I have tested have a CC symbol on it, but about half of them do not show any closed captions. I have tried all options on the unit to display them, but I am unsuccessful.
To test these not working discs, I connected my Tv Guardian and this device does show closed caption. So the discs do contain CC.

Do you guys have any idea why this is? Are there types of closed captions the Megasoft simply can't display?

Another question, does someone have a suggestion for a unit that also has the option to shift the text up/down like the Megasoft? Is the E-Teck HQ2000 a good option and does this unit display all CC's?

Thanks,
Jeroen

Attachments:
megasoft.jpg
megasoft.jpg [ 55.01 KiB | Viewed 3327 times ]

Post subject: Re: Types of Closed Caption?
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 18:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If they are North American released LDs, I've found that those are usually encoded for CC1. See if your decoder has that setting.

Oh wait, since that decoder has that cartridge port I think that is used for these things . . .

Melovision

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 11:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

elahrairrah wrote:
If they are North American released LDs, I've found that those are usually encoded for CC1. See if your decoder has that setting.

Oh wait, since that decoder has that cartridge port I think that is used for these things . . .

Melovision

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately the decoder does not have an option to switch between CC-types :( I guess is can only display a certain CC type then.
Oh well, I will keep looking for a similar cc decoder that is capable of shifting CC up/down.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 13:28 
why wasn't shifting subtitles up n down on TV screen a standard feature on all CC-decoders?
on widecsreen tv's subtitles will be displayed wrong if screen is zoomed

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 13:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

joey-buttafuoco wrote:
why wasn't shifting subtitles up n down on TV screen a standard feature on all CC-decoders?

Correct, I wish it was. I am using a TV Guardian and this device works just great. Subtitles are transparent which is very nice. Only thing is (like you alread said) these devices are made for a 4:3 tv and the subs are on fixed lines. When using the zoom option on a 16:9 tv the last line is out of picture.
I also informed at www.familysafemedia.com (TV guardian manufacturer) and none of their devices is capable of shifting subs...
Same question I asked to Hall Research regarding the CC-101. This one has an RS232 port and I was hoping that I could program the unit via their Windows software to shift the subs up via this port. That is not possible.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 22:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

joey-buttafuoco wrote:

Because NTSC is 4:3. You're complaining about something from the perspective of an internet enabled foreigner with a time machine and an LD collection to watch. The target audience never zoomed anything, never saw a wide TV, didn't know what letterboxing was, etc.

The target user of CCs was someone with bad or no hearing, most of the time because they were old. They only spoke English and they only watched stuff in English. They viewed them with one product from Sanyo that cost $200 until 1993 when all US TVs had them by law. When it's built in to the TV it's always at the bottom of the screen, even with wide sets on any setting.

The TV Guardian was made for people who want the swear words taken out of their movies. These aren't movie buffs. They are never going to zoom on the LDs they are never going to buy.

To this day I still don't under stand WHO in the world LD-G was for...

It would have been nice, but there was never any real reason to do it. If you cared that much you'd probably use a more professional solution.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 09:23 
i have no problems with captioning as i only use a tv-screen 4:3 crt

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 05:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh boy.
This is a good one, made me laugh :)

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 18:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jeroen_v wrote:
Hi,

I have tested the Megasoft CC decoder. Attached a photo of the unit.

All laserdiscs I have tested have a CC symbol on it, but about half of them do not show any closed captions. I have tried all options on the unit to display them, but I am unsuccessful.
To test these not working discs, I connected my Tv Guardian and this device does show closed caption. So the discs do contain CC.

Do you guys have any idea why this is? Are there types of closed captions the Megasoft simply can't display?

Another question, does someone have a suggestion for a unit that also has the option to shift the text up/down like the Megasoft? Is the E-Teck HQ2000 a good option and does this unit display all CC's?

Thanks,
Jeroen

I got my hands on the same unit some months ago. New unused stock. I find it being a great CC decoder. It displays everything I throw at it.
Do you still have yours? Any luck with getting it working?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]