It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:30

Page 4 of 7 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is there a complete LD PLAYER LIST? If not let's make on
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 09:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@scytales & svwees: Sorry, I replied very late in the night and overlooked a part of the information given in the linked pages ...
Yes, now I see that the "Kolibri VP-101" is actually a complete Philips CDV496 clone with all original connectors including the digital coax output.

About the "Rus 501 VIDEO" (released 1988) it is said in the Russian text that it does not support digital audio tracks, and that it can read only CAV format discs. From the rear photo I can see that it has got only the Russia-specific 6pin-DIN plug containing analog stereo audio and analog composite video, much like the basic version of a SCART output connection. The difference between PAL and ME-SECAM used in the Soviet Union is only the color encoding - the line and frame numbers are identical. So I think that like the French laserdiscs also the Russian laserdiscs and the associated players are all PAL. Either the player converted the PAL colors to SECAM colors, or the TV set supported both color formats. I have not yet found a text confirming the one or the other, but I guess that the latter is correct.

About the "Rus VP 201" (released 1989) it is said in the text that it does support CAV as well as CLV, but digital sound is not mentioned at all. So I assume that also the VP-201 supports only analog audio tracks, and PAL only. On the rear of the player I see the Russian standard 6pin-DIN output again, plus 4 RCA sockets - the icon next to them is not completely clear to me: I guess it is a (monaural) audio & video OUT (2 RCA jacks) and (monaural) audio & video IN to connect a mono VHS recorder to it, for recording and playback. Somebody forgot to indicate which 2 are OUT and which 2 are IN.

The "Amfiton VP 201" (released probably 1990) seems to be technically identical to the Rus VP 201".

Obviously in Russia there was a production of Russian PAL "Laservision" laserdiscs with analog sound even after in Western Europe the PAL laserdiscs had got their analog sound tracks replaced by digital sound tracks (1986) ... but also in Western Europe the production of laserdiscs with analog sound continued for quite a while - e.g. my Spanish LD "Pintura Española - del Romanico a las Vanguardias" was released 1992 and has got analog sound (only).

Not a big problem because good LD players support both analog and digital sound tracks - but I find it again and again amusing when I read in a forum like this one, that again somebody has bought a laserdisc with analog sound, has got a player supporting both analog and digital sound, then sets his player to play back the analog sound, and -- is surprised when he does not hear anything!! These are the people that connect their laserdisc player to their sound system only by a digital connection, e.g. Toslink, because they think that digital would be superior to analog ... but in case of a laserdisc with analog sound only there is no digital signal, a digital signal does not appear from nowhere: no player converts analog sound to digital sound. Time to connect the (analog) red and white RCA plugs to the sound system. :)

Well, thanks to you the size of my (virtual) "laserdisc player universe" has increased again ... who would have thought of Russian LD players? :thumbup:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 16:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Now my list in the first post contains already 980 Laserdisc player models - this number includes 9 autochanger commanders (that can not play back LDs by themselves, but control the performance of one or several LD autochanger players), and 3 RLV recorders: as you probably know, it is possible in a RLV recorder to write NTSC CAV content with analog audio onto a blank RLV - and then play back this disc on any normal NTSC Laserdisc player that can handle CAV format discs.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 14:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another CLARION I never saw before:

MV-7000A
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f222587570

Julien

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 19:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The museum? got their VP-101 prototype to work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2kdYP5uMFo - the russian made disk has faded colors (probably from the source) but little to no rot.

The pictures on their site show that it wasn't just a rebadged import, a lot of the circuitry was Russian made: http://red-innovations.su/index/photos_v/colibri.html

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 18:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@julien:
Thanks for the hint with the Clarion MV-7000A! I think there are a lot more to find from Clarion.
I will add now your Clarion MV-7000A to my player list plus a few more:

Clarion MV-3000A
http://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/r127879730/
Clarion MV-3100A
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q154078134
Clarion MVA-450
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f215244178
Kenwood LVD-K1000 (system)
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h271961014
Panasonic LX-H670U
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v486049116
Panasonic LX-K500
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o188401645
Panasonic LX-K550
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p559824637
Panasonic LX-K590V
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/253397313
Panasonic LX-K7500
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k255635174
Philips VP 935
see https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong ... 1120979531
Sharp MV-K20
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v445033317
Sharp MV-D50 (found RC only)
see https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f154221419

The adding of the Panasonic LX-H670U is disputable, because this is the USA model of the Japanese LX-H670, and the only difference seems to be the power supply (J: 100V, USA: 120V). However I have found already in some cases additional differences between USA and Japan models, therefore I have decided to start from now on to distinguish those models - just in case, to be on the safe side. Of course the DVL models of Pioneer have different DVD region codes for the Japan and the USA models and are the same model name, but some like the DVL-919 have also differences in the features, even connectors. The worst case I have found up to now is the Sony MDP-333 that exists at least in two, maybe even three versions without any difference in its name - the European version of the MDP-333 is a PAL model, the Japanese MDP-333 is NTSC. Don't know how long it will take to get all done, but I am sure that my list will go beyond 1000, even without this distinction.

@happycube:
I think that the Russians were eager to learn and possibly tried also to improve? the laserdisc technology, however because of the sudden end of the laserdisc era we will never know whether they would have succeeded to produce anything new or better than the original players from the Japanese manufacturers.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 08:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My primary goal is reached by now: my Laserdisc player list has grown beyond 1000 LD player models, and seems to cover now a big deal of all Laserdisc players that were (and still are) around! See my list in the updated top post of this thread.

Unfortunately with all the color markings in it, indicating for some models the source of the information, my list has also grown beyond the 20000 byte limit for messages that Julien has posed on all of us: so I had to remove the color markings from my list. This created some new space which I now filled with three small lists of devices for the HDVS Videodisc, for the Laser Videodisc (CRVdisc), and for the LaserRecorder Videodisc - systems that are all incompatible with Laserdiscs - however often mixed up with them. These three new tiny lists you can see at the end of my Laserdisc player list.

During the upcoming months I will be very busy with some other things, so the speed of my updates here will slow down - but please feel free to post here in this thread any findings of models that are still missing in my list: I will read it and update the list from time to time.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 10:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

allgaeuer wrote:
My primary goal is reached by now: my Laserdisc player list has grown beyond 1000 LD player models, and seems to cover now a big deal of all Laserdisc players that were (and still are) around! See my list in the updated top post of this thread.

Now I guess you are giving me a good reason to reboot the players sections (USA, Europe, Japan) that were just drafts.

Ex: CLD-D925

I need the whole edit/update/validate/link code to mirror what is done for discs.

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 14:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

admin wrote:

Hi Julien, does your database model provide for the following cases?

1. SCART out: There are basically two types: one offers just composite video and analog stereo, and the other one has got - additionally - analog RGB in it.
The latter type is sometimes called EuroSCART, but I am not sure whether this name is strictly correlated to the availability of the RGB-signal or not. (In French RGB is sometimes called RVB).

2. RCA connectors: Old players sometimes have BNC connectors instead of RCA connectors - do you provide also "BNC composite" and "Audio BNC (L/R)" instead of "RCA composite" and "Audio RCA (L/R)"?

3. Analog stereo out: How to distinguish between a red/white pair that delivers analog sound only, and a red/white pair that can be switched between the analog and the digital sound from the disc? Some players have one RCA pair of the first type and one RCA pair of the second type (e.g. Pioneer LD-S1).

4. Some players can play back analog and digital sound, but can output the digital sound only in form of a digital EFM signal (e.g. Sony LDP-330). Others provide a digital EFM signal, but can convert the sound also themselves to analog and output it through the RCA jacks (e.g. Sony LDP-530).

5. Format NTSC/PAL: How to describe a player that is strictly NTSC with Laserdiscs, but can playback NTSC and PAL Video CDs (e.g. Pioneer CLD-110KVT)?

6. Format PAL: How to describe a player that does PAL format only with analog sound? Or a player that does PAL format only with digital sound? Or a player that does both? Or a multiformat player that does analog and digital sound with NTSC discs, but only digital sound with PAL discs (e.g. Pioneer CLD-160K)?

7. How do you describe a player that can handle PAL discs only with CAV format? No CLV support (e.g. Pioneer LD-V1001).

8. Your sample shows "Play Mode LD/CDV/CD", but does this mean, that it can play also CDS (8cm CD)? The Pioneer CLD-D925 can do it, but some "LD/CDV/CD players" can't. Also the word choice "Play Mode" is questionable, I would not have understood what it means. What about "Playable discs"? or "Supported disc types"?

9. Where can I see whether this player is able to play back LD-Singles without need of a thickness adapter? Again the Pioneer CLD-D925 can do it, some others can't.

10. Where do you specify whether the output of a DTS signal is supported?

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 19:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have now found out that the "Teac Laser Videodisc" aka "Color Videodisc" (the name refers probably to the signal storing color-changing dye in the disc), which is one-time writeable and can store up to 54000 frames resp. 30 minutes of video on one side of a 30cm disc (only NTSC and CAV available) sounds just like another brand of RLV disc, but actually it is incompatible with RLV and with Laserdiscs !

The discs were the result of a co-development of Teac and Sumitomo Chemical. They can be written and played back only in the recorders and players of the Teac LV-200 series! So I had now to delete these recorders and players from my Laserdisc player list - at the end of my LD player list you will find them now in my new list about the Teac Color Videodisc.

Unfortunately I have not yet found a picture of an original disc of this kind - so I am not sure what kind of logo is written on the disc. I suppose the manufacturer was Sumitomo Chemical or some subsidiary of them and this will probably show somehow on the disc. In the photos of the player model LV-220P that I can see in the UK laserdisc archive, Teac wrote on the front "Laser Videodisc Player", and on the back label of the same player "Color Videodisc Player" - looks kind of indetermined. Therefore now I even do not know which name was actually used by Teac in 1986 when this system was released to the market ... :crazy:

Does anybody know the used name, or does anybody happen to have such a "Sumitomo Chemical Recordable (Color?) videodisc" (or a photo of it) at home? :?:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 17:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

In case you are interested: the last models I added to my laserdisc player list (see top post) were the following:
    DaiichiKosho: DKK-100, LC-V30, LD-V10,
    Marantz: CDV-70K,
    Matrox: CDV-1082,
    Nikkodo/BMB: LV-100, LV-1200, LV-1500S, LV-2000, LV-220A,
    Onkyo: DX-V350,
    Pioneer: CLD-510, CLD-91 mil,
    Sanyo: LV-P1, LV-P500, LV-PK45,
    Sony: MDP-K5.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 01:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:think: I think the info is just going on what people post.
Thank you for correcting some of these listings.
And I too agree, if the recorder units don't playback regular LDs then they should not be included as they are a different technology.

I always though they could not playback regular LD discs but I've never had one, or that's why I never even bothered to buy one. :clap:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 13:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@blam1:
Thank you for this great and welcome feedback! :clap:

Also me I am going through my own list trying to verify all informations, and I will double-check especially carefully the models you mentioned here!
Unfortunately I am just now very occupied by moving from one house to another, so my detailed answer to your feedback will take a while.

The models with K at the end are models especially suited for Karaoke, and the ones with KV at the end are those Karaoke models that can additionally playback VCDs. Up to now I still think that both variants exist, but I want to double-check this also.

The Pioneer "LaserRecorders" and Sony "CRVdisc" devices cannot play back regular Laserdiscs, this is why I took them out of my list already weeks ago. I put the complete Laserdisc list into one quoting bracket, and added several other short lists of incompatible systems in other quoting brackets at the end of my Laserdisc player list. Maybe my separation of the Laserdisc list and the other lists is not striking enough to be immediately seen?

Thanks again, you will get my answers as soon as possible.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 14:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I can only chime in on this one:
Quote:
PD-707V (CDV-player) --- Officially classed as a CD player (product code PD)

That is true, because they basically are CD players, albeit that they also have CDV 5" playback capability.
The "CDP" meaning of the Sony CDP 301V is the same story.

But thanks for updating, so we can have the most extensive and most accurate list of all players available.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 05:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Post Deleted

Last edited by blam1 on 28 Oct 2017, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 10:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

allgaeuer wrote:
Hi Julien, does your database model provide for the following cases?

Right now it doesn't do much but it can be enhanced with such good inputs.

• Differentiate SCART w/ or w/o RGB
  • BNC can be added as well
  • We can differentiate between "Analog only RCA pair" and "Digital/Analog converted RCA pair"
  • We can add "Digital EFM" as a sound output
  • Looks like we will need a matrix 12" LD/8" LD/5" VCD with NTSC/PAL and CLV/CAV for each combination such as:
                NTSC CAV   NTSC CLV   PAL CAV   PAL CLV
    12" LD
    8" LD/LDS
    5" VCD/VSD
  • More choices to add Analog and/or Digital sound for NTSC and PAL separately.
  • The need for a LDS adapter could be either in the comment section or another line the in matrix to differentiate LD and LDs.
  • DTS compabitle is an easy checkbox

I just need to get it almost right the first time :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 13:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Came across this site: http://www.duensser.com/lastxtec_de.htm
@allgaeuer Is that a mirror of yours? If not, maybe you could cross reference there if you see ones that are not on the list here yet. ;) It looks also pretty extensive including also all 6 cdv players for example.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 15:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@svwees: actually the website you found is not a mirror, it is the "original": my own public website - mostly in German language - on which I started the LD player list several years ago. Basically I am now editing my list here (in English) and my list there (in German) in parallel, adding models that are new to me to both lists, such as the 6 CDV-players ;) - however in the moment there is a certain time delay between the two lists because of my current moving activity - in the moment I have nearly no time for editing. In the moment I have still also an English version of the LD player list on my website, but I have decided to drop the English one on my website in the near future - since my list is now also on the LDDb Forum, there is no need for showing a second English version of it on my website. My German language website contains a lot of technical information about the Laserdisc and similar systems, of which the LD player list is only one piece. My primary intention is to inform the German speaking world about the Laserdisc, since in Germany the sheer existence of the Laserdisc was always and still is completely unknown to most of the people ...

@blam1: Please have patience with me. I will give you more information as soon as I can, but it will take several weeks until I have my "computer corner" in the new house ready and my stuff running.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 08:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@ allgaeuer

Very good site. Found it years ago^^

Applaus für die Seite. Bin vor Jahren drauf gestoßen, als ich nach technischen Daten zur Laserdisc gesucht hab, und nach Detektiv Conan.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 12:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@laser_cinema:
Thanks for your feedback!
Since I started that website in 2005 there has not been much feedback - but I am sure many people have looked at it.
Grüße nach Baden-Württemberg!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 21:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

@Allgaeuer - seeing you are doing a complete LD player list, have it crossed your mind about making a complete LD player parts list for comparison and to check whether parts can be salvaged from players to be re-used in other models? Something like Pioneer's own parts detail list, but for example create a sticky thread and chronologically list the VEB-part numbers and behind in parentes list the models using this specific part.
For all we know, Pioneers cross-reference schematics won't be there forever when all the new parts are gone.
I haven't any specific parts in my mind at the moment, but let us say part numbers for cogs, springs, etc. - mechanical parts that are the same size and worth the effort of keeping instead of dumping.
It is both eco-friendly and better use of parts that may have many years left on their back. :)

I know this is a huge task and not something one would do just for fun, but I think in the end that would have been something of effort to those who fix their own equipment and the forum would have been an even more complete database. I'm sure there are many here that would contribute to it and share knowledge! :thumbup:

Page 4 of 7 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next