It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:39

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sony Trinitron KV-32LS65AUS
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 15:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Anyone have any information or recommend this TV for watching LD's? I'm not interested if it's high-def.

It's a CRT, with a 32 inch, flat screen, 16:9 aspect display. From going through the manual I'm unable to ascertain if it's high-def, only that the manual calls it an 'FD Trinitron'. The manual is dated 2002.

I'm just planning on watching via composite although it does have SCART inputs. I currently have a smaller 4:3 Sony Trinitron CRT which I'm happy with but want something a bit bigger.

To summarise, does anyone know if this TV is high def? And is a 16:9 CRT a good option for LD?

Post subject: Re: Sony Trinitron KV-32LS65AUS
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 20:19 
it's probably a 100Hz TV?
look for 50hz or 100Hz system.

these are heavy tv's approx 60kg's or more???

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 20:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I doubt it. Being in the US I've never seen one but I have a Sony XBR960 (HD 34" wide CRT) from a few years later and looking at this set you are asking about it seems considersbly more low end for a number of reasons. Mine also says "HDTV" on it and I'm assuming they'd be even more interested to use that term earlier but they didn't use that logo on the KV-32.

That being said, it takes some time (lots) to dial in mine so when it comes to LD there's a lot to be said for an SD set. They look fine after standard calibration so you don't have to mess with gobs of scaling and line doubling options forever. I do mean "forever", because there really is no perfect setting due to the wide variation in LD mastering quality. They also use all their own terms for things that nobody understands. In addition to that, the big Sony's like mine are not multi-sync monitors. They always display...whatever that is, 720p60hz or whatever, and scale the input to match that. It works fine for LD since that was what they were focused on, it works fine for Bluray and PlayStation consoles (HDMI is included on mine) but old video games just look way better on an SD monitor. Almost any. I'm talking about stuff from the native 240p RGB era.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 11:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This was the last TV I ever owned (16/9 Sony Trinitron) back in 2003, when I was living in Paris.

Good for LDs as far as I remember, I think my LD-S9 looked better via S-Video than Composite however they will show as 4/3 with dark grey (not black) filling on the sides. You'll have to stretch or zoom in to fill up the screen.

Only native LDs to be played on this screen would be the Squeezed ones.

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 11:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

joey-buttafuoco wrote:
it's probably a 100Hz TV?
look for 50hz or 100Hz system.

these are heavy tv's approx 60kg's or more???

I should've mentioned, yes its a 100Hz set. Its not the heaviest set but it does weigh in at a hefty 62kg...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 12:02 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I doubt it. Being in the US I've never seen one but I have a Sony XBR960 (HD 34" wide CRT) from a few years later and looking at this set you are asking about it seems considersbly more low end for a number of reasons. Mine also says "HDTV" on it and I'm assuming they'd be even more interested to use that term earlier but they didn't use that logo on the KV-32.

That being said, it takes some time (lots) to dial in mine so when it comes to LD there's a lot to be said for an SD set. They look fine after standard calibration so you don't have to mess with gobs of scaling and line doubling options forever. I do mean "forever", because there really is no perfect setting due to the wide variation in LD mastering quality. They also use all their own terms for things that nobody understands. In addition to that, the big Sony's like mine are not multi-sync monitors. They always display...whatever that is, 720p60hz or whatever, and scale the input to match that. It works fine for LD since that was what they were focused on, it works fine for Bluray and PlayStation consoles (HDMI is included on mine) but old video games just look way better on an SD monitor. Almost any. I'm talking about stuff from the native 240p RGB era.

Thanks signofzeta. Yeah, it looks like a lower-end set, and I've no idea what the 'FD' stands for. Its definately a 100Hz set so probably best for higher definition LD's like the Squeeze LD's or would your standard LD's look ok? My LD player is a Pioneer CLD-1590K.

Compared to my current set (Sony Trinitron KV-G21 from 1995) which has a really nice picture - this other set has heaps of settings. But like you said, with my current set you just plug in your devices and its good to go; at most you can fiddle with the colour settings but thats it.

Really just looking for something bigger than my 21 inch TV, don't care about the bells and whistles. It would also need to display my SNES and MegaDrive fairly decently too.

Last edited by holoview on 08 Sep 2017, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 12:07 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

admin wrote:
This was the last TV I ever owned (16/9 Sony Trinitron) back in 2003, when I was living in Paris.

Good for LDs as far as I remember, I think my LD-S9 looked better via S-Video than Composite however they will show as 4/3 with dark grey (not black) filling on the sides. You'll have to stretch or zoom in to fill up the screen.

Only native LDs to be played on this screen would be the Squeezed ones.

Julien

Stretch or zoom the picture for a LD? :shock: What would that look like? Wouldn't look very good would it?

This may be a dumb question :oops: , but discs with the movie shown in widescreen, because they came out at a time when 16:9 TV's didn't exist, would a widescreen movie appear in 16:9 on a '16:9 TV' without any alteration of the settings? Or would it appear in 4:3 ratio with the big top and bottom borders?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 14:43 
True fan
True fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Q190Aoiuk

Pretty good overview/review but doesn't sound very favorable, Personally I would look for something else, IMO 16:9 for LD is not recommended, and since it won't even do 480p its not much to offer, other then a bigger screen and a sore back!

and its possible the LD image will not match up to your 21" sony, in my experience when you get to bigger screens it becomes much more difficult to get a nice picture, If you upgrade you may be disappointed, atleast at first.
So far nothing has outdone my kv20fs120, it produces a beautiful picture straight into composite, it only has a 2d filter but I think because of the size it doesn't really matter, sometimes I feel like a bigger screen would be nice, but I don't think it's really worth upgrade, plus I don't have the space or the strength!

Last edited by sjoerg on 08 Sep 2017, 15:57, edited 1 time in total. _________________
-LD Collection

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 15:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

holoview wrote:

Stretch or zoom the picture for a LD? :shock: What would that look like? Wouldn't look very good would it?

You can with some TVs but you may lose PQ it all depends.

How many LDs do you own????

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 15:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This isn't a Vizio guys, it'll show 4:3 all day no problem.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 16:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well then, this is more of is it worth the risk :think:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 18:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

this here is a 2011 46" SANYO OEM for BEST BUY's "INSIGNIA" house brand, that happens to make a very strong argument in favor of LCD Monitors employed as Analog SD video displays;

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 20:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:
this here is a 2011 46" SANYO OEM for BEST BUY's "INSIGNIA" house brand, that happens to make a very strong argument in favor of LCD Monitors employed as Analog SD video displays;

But he may have a stronger back than we all have, or he can pay others to move it :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 16:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rein-o wrote:
holoview wrote:

You can with some TVs but you may lose PQ it all depends.

How many LDs do you own????

Not enough! No, I've got a pretty small collection. LD's aren't easy to find in Australia, and buying from overseas can get expensive especially with the postage.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 16:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know, I used to sell a lot of stuff to Australia but then the shipping kept skyrocketing and I have very few sales to your area.
If the TV is cheap pick it up and see if you like it.
Good luck

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 19:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:

I have an Insignia TV and its total garbage. Maybe its an aggregate name for so many suppliers that you get a good one once in a while.

The best LCD I have (excusing a 4K iMac) is a 34" Bravia. Its OK, but I'll still take CRT for old stuff.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 06:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

IMO the FD trinitron sets were given a phosphor meant for 480P and look very flickery when run @ 480i.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 14:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

After a bit more thought I think I'll pass on this set. I'll wait till I find a larger 4:3 crt.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 20:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

holoview wrote:
After a bit more thought I think I'll pass on this set. I'll wait till I find a larger 4:3 crt.

LARGER :crazy:

Just sad after 18 posts and then not taking the risk.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 22:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I honestly would have moved on it if I needed something. If you want CRT you are usually better without the HD stuff. "FD" is, I think, just to indicate that it's a flat tube. There are WAY better Sonys but they are all OOP now so you have to take what you can get.

To be clear: on a wide SD CRT the difference between 16:9 and 4:3 is simply how much it limits the path of the beam. The exact same info just gets stretched out to 16:9 in wide mode or not in 4:3 mode. Analog scaling. No issues. The same goes for 16:9 enhanced mode in 4:3 TVs, only on the opposite axis. The only issue you have is how wide "wide" is. As long as the geometry is good it always looks fine.

Also this would likely be much lighter than the higher end sets. Over 200lbs is common with a big 32+" set. Mine is about 250 and they get even worse some years, closer to 275...and I've never seen one with halfway decent handles on it. :)

Another thing, CRT shopping is a lot of trial and error. Even if you find the right model there may be something messed up on it since it's older than Facebook. The tubes are never perfect to begin with and they do drift over time...

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next