It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Inside the Faroudja LD-1000
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 13:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Here is a YouTube video showing the inside of my Faroudja LD-1000 as well as pictures of the add-on audio board (has not functioned since I got it so I am trying to troubleshoot).

Very interesting stuff - https://youtu.be/uuw3rpIxMgM

Post subject: Re: Inside the Faroudja LD-1000
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 15:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hah, that's so messed up that they basically dropped a CLD-99 in a Faroujda case with only a few enhancements. I need to dig through my hard drive backups and find that scan of the Widescreen Review article on this player that Disclord uploaded. Need to see what the MSRP is for those "enhancements" :lol:

Though it would be cool to see how it really performs next to a CLD-99 to really see what enhancements there are (and if the comb filter is truly updated.)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 18:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Very disappointed, at least the Theta version put in an extra power supply to have separate ones for analog verses digital circuitry, this one is keeping the common analog/digital supply and also using it for the better digital audio output.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 19:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
Very disappointed, at least the Theta version put in an extra power supply to have separate ones for analog verses digital circuitry, this one is keeping the common analog/digital supply and also using it for the better digital audio output.

Kurtis, first off thanks again for the X0 repair, she is still humming along perfectly.

I am going to pop open the Theta Voyager next and document, that one has actual modifications, this one only has a make shift soldered board (with a crappy soldering job).

If I want to bypass that board entirely can I just hookup the data line to an RCA plug?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 19:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Hah, that's so messed up that they basically dropped a CLD-99 in a Faroujda case with only a few enhancements. I need to dig through my hard drive backups and find that scan of the Widescreen Review article on this player that Disclord uploaded. Need to see what the MSRP is for those "enhancements" :lol:

Though it would be cool to see how it really performs next to a CLD-99 to really see what enhancements there are (and if the comb filter is truly updated.)

I have it at home if you are interested, I joked that I need to write a letter to the editor with new info on the LD-1000 :)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 00:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Theta DataIII is the one that is a CLD-D704 with all the enhancements. The Voyager is a DVL unit, cannot remember if it is the 919 or 91.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 00:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
Theta DataIII is the one that is a CLD-D704 with all the enhancements. The Voyager is a DVL unit, cannot remember if it is the 919 or 91.

Yeah there isn't much to the Data III, basically a 704 with something added to the audio output, the Voyager is a DVL-919 but with massive power supply upgrades. I will do a similar video and pics of the Voyager soon.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 12:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

IIRC MSRP was about $5000 USD. I assume that the toslink output was modified to the glass ST output as was done on my EAD TheaterVision. I believe the LD-1000 is supposedly identical. I haven't seen LD-1000 in person. If you would like I can post some pictures of internals for comparison. Damn heavy beast of a player.

Seeing that the toslink jack is still there, I wonder how hard it would be to reinstate it. Glass-ST supported equipment is so limited, and nothing I have owned supports it. I have seen glass-ST to toslink cables, but they are custom, expensive, with zero guarantee that they will work given the differences between the two form factors. I have read reports that some have used them successfully, but frankly I would rather spend the money or time to reinstate toslink instead of buying a cable that likely won't work. That being said, I use AC-3, analog, and coaxial outputs on mine so it is fine for my purposes.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 13:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I should have watched the video first. Nicely done overview. They look very much identical to one another other than the labeling.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 19:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ffrolvaag wrote:
I should have watched the video first. Nicely done overview. They look very much identical to one another other than the labeling.

Yeah its the same player, the board is labeled EAD actually. Supposedly only 500 combined were made so if nothing else they are rare. I do quite like the picture, no complaints there. Not sure what I want to do with that board, I assume the optical port still works as is now I should test) but I hate to drill a hole to access it...

The ST Glass is integrated into that audio board so I don't think it did shut down any ports....

The RCA outputs (obviously) work so I can still get sound plus the AC3 is ok, only thing it can't do right now is DTS...

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 00:01 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

If you power up the unit with the backplate off, you could plug in a toslink and see if you get the red glow. That would confirm the port is still active or if they took the time to disable it.

I agree it would be sad to cut a hole if it even if is still active. I am surprised that EAD didn't just leave it intact or add a supplemental card to keep toslink especially at the price point. I get ST was considered a better (lower jitter) option. It also probably made it more likely you would use their DACs etc. Besides EAD, Theta and ML had some units with ST-glass inputs. Who else used glass-ST inputs on their DACs?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 09:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think the only time I ever saw an ST-glass input was on a Parasound DAC.
But it was so long ago that I could be mistaken :P

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 21:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ffrolvaag wrote:
If you power up the unit with the backplate off, you could plug in a toslink and see if you get the red glow. That would confirm the port is still active or if they took the time to disable it.

I agree it would be sad to cut a hole if it even if is still active. I am surprised that EAD didn't just leave it intact or add a supplemental card to keep toslink especially at the price point. I get ST was considered a better (lower jitter) option. It also probably made it more likely you would use their DACs etc. Besides EAD, Theta and ML had some units with ST-glass inputs. Who else used glass-ST inputs on their DACs?

The toslink absolutely works I tested it.

To "fix" mine I removed the hocus pocus Faroudja board and just soldered thier digital audio tap on to an RCA adapter and bingo I have digital audio without drilling a hole.

So that board is taking the existing digital audio and doing something to it...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 05:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

These high end outputs re-clock the output stream to greatly reduce jitter. This results in better 3D sound field desired by audiophiles.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]