It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:09

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: LD player for music.
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017, 09:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper, I think your S9 must have been defective when you bought it.
There is no other explanation really for the problems you had with this machine.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 23:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lons_vex wrote:
There is no other explanation really for the problems you had with this machine.

No, it functioned perfectly for 3 months after I got it.

I've had 3 other Pioneers, all of them have had lacklustre audio compared to my Sony's.

I'm not biased to Sony at all either - I always have said that all my Pioneers have had better PQ than any of my Sony's. I'll also say that on average my Sony's were more reliable as well. Lasers never gave up but all my Pioneers had serious laser problems at some point.

Just real world experience that Pioneer zealots here don't seem to want to ever accept.

You see the average fan here has never actually owned a Sony player, they just repeat the diatribe that "SONY SUCKS!!!"

hahaha, so funny when the majority of a forum is biased.

It's the same as Macrossworld. Majority think Kawamori is God. I think he's a genius mechanical designer for the Valkyrie but as a writer he sucks!!! Got me banned there for insulting their God.

Pioneer is God here.

Dangerous times..

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 00:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

lons_vex wrote:

He just does this. Over and over again. Still here, won’t shut up. I’d advise just ignoring him.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 00:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

He just does this. Over and over again. Still here, won’t shut up. I’d advise just ignoring him.

Don't like what you're hearing? :)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 00:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

timax wrote:
Hello. I have a desire to buy the player for music LDs. Movie I will not watch. Requirements: reliability, LD playback only, no CD or DVD (the extra parts not needed), digital outputs (connection plan by using the DAC). The video quality is not important, the main emphasis on the quality of the audio. Better without auto reverse. Disks have and will only buy NTSC. I read the forum. Pioneer HLD-1000 is the best player. But it is expensive. Ebay starts $ 1000 + shipping and customs fees. What are the other options. Is there a player for my needs in the price range up to $ 500?
Thank you

If you plan to use the digital outs then all you need is a working player. The bitstream to your DAC will be the same. The only player that can’t do this task easily to perfection is a broken player. This is kinda non-negotiable. Your audiophile third eye has to be opened rereeeeaaallly wide to hear the difference between SPDIF and TOSLINK. :) If you were using the LD player’s DACs it would be more complicated since those vary and some of the “good” ones sound like crap to some people.

When it comes to the analog tracks (and you will be limited to them on some titles) I’m afraid that’s more complicated. Analog LD audio is like tape in a lot of ways so expect that level of variation between players and just as big of variations in opinion from users. I would imagine that a solid chassis wound help a lot though so probably the classic players from the late 80s/early 90s. The tanky ones. Usually (usually) if you only have analog tracks the LD probably doesn’t sound that great anyway. I’d imagine the list of analog only music LDs that were never reissued with digital sound isn’t very long.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2017, 23:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bitstreams aren't all created equal at all.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 03:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My scope says they are. To be fair, I guess I’m not able to hear the quantum irregularities between the bits but then I don’t think my receiver can either...

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 08:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's all about how accurately your transport reproduces the data into a bitstream.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 08:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

No. It’s about you. Everything is about you.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 17:30 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So, yesterday I bought a pioneer CLD 959. Series HLD will look later. It is advisable to compare the 959 and HLD. As the sound quality is very good and I'm not sure HLD is better to cope with playing music. In the near future will compare with CD and LP. While I can say that one of my favorite concerts Simon and Garfunkel "The concert in Central Park" (which I have on CD, DVD and LP), on LD produced a stronger impression. Given that I have a good devices (Cyrus, Krell, McIntosh) and a little about this, very positive emotions. I have a question. Is it possible on the NTSC player to listen to discs recorded in the PAL as a normal CD? I have about 20 of LD in PAL and until I can get these records in another format, would like to use them in this way.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 20:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The 959 is the same machine as the Elite CLD-97. Since McIntosh used that as the basis for their MLD-7020, I have to imagine it makes a good audio player.

Hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 20:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My advice would have been the LD-S1. Its video circuitry is "out of date", but the audio circuitry is probably among the best ever.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 23:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The CLD-97 players have a dedicated power supply and very good decoupling capacitors but have the philips bit stream DAC. The CLD-95 had the separate power and multi bit DAC. The HLD players have multi bit DAC. The multi bit DAC will be a warmer sound that to me is just more pleasing. Otherwise they all sound pretty good. I’ve always been puzzled why McIntosh did not upgrade the 97 DAC’s but they did not, the 7020 is a 97 with a different front face and most have the AC-3 upgrade board. The LD-S1/2 both hav multi bit DAC’s too.

It’s all a preference of what sounds pleasing to you.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 20:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Unfortunately, where I live, there are no decent players. To buy this 959 I drove 1600 km .For this, I had no choice. Since I have a DAC (Cyrus Dacmaster based on AD 1862) ,I don't really care what kind of DAC is the Pioneer 959. A more important mechanism and availability of spare parts. . However, buying one player is not the end)) I have a desire to increase the collection of LDs and will be the next purchase. Pioneer 959 is just the beginning. But why doesn't anybody answer my question: is it Possible to listen to LDs in PAL on the NTSC players?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 20:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

timax wrote:
But why doesn't anybody answer my question: is it Possible to listen to LDs in PAL on the NTSC players?

The answer is an unequivocal NO. NTSC players will only play NTSC discs. The difference of video system imposes a difference of other parameters. The occasional non-dual-system player will play discs of the other system at the wrong frame rate, in monochrome, without sound, because the carrier frequencies are wrong, or the digital EFM waveform is shifted to the wrong speed.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 21:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The 99 has that Legato Link stuff that a lot of people hate. I can’t really hear it on my speakers but the concept on paper is pretty dumb, IMO. This is the exact sort of DAC I was thinking of in my post. People can be quite opinionated about it, I believe Disclord maybe even dumped on it. I never use the built in DAC anyway.

That being said, Forper’s S9 died so there is no reason to suspect it was working well before that. Ask him if he has a working Sony to sell you, he’s the expert on those.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 18:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Master list for DAC chips used in LD players

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 16:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So it's been almost two years. I've expanded the player collection a bit. To the firstborn of the CLD-959 was joined by the LD-S1 & CLD 2950 for disks in PAL. To be honest, the result exceeded expectations. The quality of music playback is sometimes higher than on the LP. A normal CD is not even considered, because it is a different League. Two my friends audiophile hearing the sound of the LD player,purchased them for myself. LD disc collection is growing and have over 200 pieces. If only half of the music recordings were available on LD I wouldn't want anything else. Of course, not all discs have high-quality audio track, especially when it comes records made in 50-60 years of the last century, but all that was recorded later - excellent. I compared the same recordings on different media. It was fun...)) Of course you can achieve excellent quality and using LPs, but it is much more difficult and much more expensive. All fans of high-quality sound, definitely recommend music on LDs !

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 16:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Was it mainly the small LD singles or the regular size ones you are playing?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 05:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

timax wrote:
The quality of music playback is sometimes higher than on the LP. A normal CD is not even considered, because it is a different League.

Are you listening to the digital tracks on your LDs or analogue?

You realise CDs contain PCM audio, the same as LD (and DVD for that matter) digital 2ch sound right?

Page 2 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next