It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Victor HD-9500 Hardware Issues
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 00:44 
Hi all, I've joined the VHD club today with an imported Victor HD-9500! However, when I popped in a disk (Superman III) the picture was in black and white with bands of color throughout. I noticed that the composite video out on the back of the player looked pressed in (as were part of the audio outs) so is this the cable not getting a complete connection to the jack? I tested this with two sets of cables just to verify. I will say that the audio output has no issue.

Additionally, when I went to eject the disk back into the caddy, it got stuck in transit! I popped the top off and eventually discovered that the edge of the disk that is immediately in front of the door is lowered slightly, thus the disk is resting at an angle. I ended up snapping the disk in two trying to solve the issue, but when I tested disk 2 I was able to get it back into the caddy by turning off the player, lifting the front of the disk ever so slightly, and manually loading it back in along the track.

For those with this same player and had similar issues, is there a simple fix so the disk lays even and will load properly? How about the video? I imported it from Japan through a third-party service, so I can't return it. I will say that Noppin (the service I use) packaged it very well and double boxed it to my request. My only guess is that the original seller on Yahoo! Japan didn't specify this issue in the description, or it had damage in domestic shipping, but I find this to be unlikely.

I can't at the moment, but if needed I can provide photos of the inside and any other part of the player.

Any and all help will be most appreciated. Thank you for reading! :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Victor HD-9500 Hardware Issues
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 19:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Are you sure it's the player that causes the problem? It could also be the disc. Have you tried other discs/titles?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 01:57 
So far I have tried both disk 1/2 of Superman III, but I can try another title I own. Any suggestion for the disk alignment issue?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 03:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have no experience with any VHD players.
But if they are like CED players it sounds like either the disc or the stylus is bad.
And other than that i have no other help to give.
Good luck

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 15:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'm a VHD newbie myself, therefore my technical knowledge is very limited. I have the HD-9500 as well. So far, I've owned 5 VHD films, of which:
– 3 played flawlessly from the beginning;
– 1 had issues (at first it got stuck and started repeating the same short sequence ad infinitum; after a few more tries and spins, it plays flawlessly now)
– 1 had heavily deteriorated sound and picture, caused by an at first almost invisible crack on the disc (this disc could not be saved).

One advice I would give is to carefully hold the caddy as horizontal as possible when inserting it into the player; I've had the impression that the aforementioned issues might have been caused by the player not "snatching" the disc properly.

In addition, I'd recommend a close investigation of the discs themselves for visually recognizable damage (scratches, cracks, dirt/dust) to rule out faulty discs as the cause of the problem. To do this, a disc must be removed from the caddy manually (and very carefully).

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 22:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've seen this kind of behavior on a LaserDisc player where the ground lead on the composite video connection was broken. If the connectors were pushed it, I'm wondering if the connections on the system board have been broken.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 15:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have 2 players, a Victor which was the model released after the 9500. Basically the same player with a different name. It works perfectly.

I also have a National VHP-830 which was their top of the range player which is supposed to be better quality than the 9500. Damn thing does not work though. It spins up and loads discs fine but will not play. The arm moves to the beginning of the disc and then returns. I really wish I c oiuld get it to work

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]