It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: [HLD-X0] Service in the US?
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 05:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello,

I just bought a X0 from an eBay seller in Japan. When I fired it up (with 100vac) I noticed the tray had a hard time ejecting. And during closing it hit on something. I took it apart and found a platform support piece (not sure the name of the place) was bent so I reformed it and now the tray opens and closes great. At first the unit played fine, then I noticed the video was jumping/skipping around. Now I get a P5/E4 error. I feel stupid as the original eBay listing was hard to decipher (see below).

I'm not sure if I should start a Action Case against the seller, or just get it repaired here in the States. Upon research it looks like Bayview Electronics is closed? I live in Michigan.

"By our test for LD confirmed the video and audio output. Tray opening and closing of the also Zumuzu. Surface processing of the tray. The one sticky has deteriorated I felt. Appearance, but there is some scratches and dirt, etc. associated with the use, Large damage is not seen, I think the beauty goods. Switch box at a position close to the body as in? It comes with a Is different from the standard were examined on the net."

Please help,

Jason

Post subject: Re: service for HLD X0 in the US?
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 06:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Kurtis Bahr (krbahr) - he fixed one this year, hopefully yours is fixable as well.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 18:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Also Grasshopper might be able to help.

See which of him and KBahr are closer to you so you can save some money on shipping.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 19:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Kurtis fixed mine and I highly doubt there is anyone else in the US that is capable of repairing one...

I think Grasshopper is in Michigan (I PM'ed you his email) but not sure he want's to mess with an X0....

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 23:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
Kurtis fixed mine and I highly doubt there is anyone else in the US that is capable of repairing one...

I think Grasshopper is in Michigan (I PM'ed you his email) but not sure he want's to mess with an X0....

Thank you. I sent Grasshopper an email. In case he doesn't want to service the X0, where does Kurtis live?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 00:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I live in Virginia so grasshopper is closer. These are not fun to work on and really heavy to ship. If the laser has issues we cannot get a replacement in the U.S.

The X0 and S2 both need to be powered off correctly or the laser slider can freely slide forward or backward as you tilt the player. Your error codes relate to laser slider position and receiving a reflection from the LD back to the laser.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 05:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

From what I've heard, I'm not sure if you can get a replacement in Japan at this point either. At least there aren't any spindle motors left in Pioneer Japan's inventory :(

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 00:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
I live in Virginia so grasshopper is closer. These are not fun to work on and really heavy to ship. If the laser has issues we cannot get a replacement in the U.S.

The X0 and S2 both need to be powered off correctly or the laser slider can freely slide forward or backward as you tilt the player. Your error codes relate to laser slider position and receiving a reflection from the LD back to the laser.

I did open a Case with eBay on the seller. The unit was dropped. There were broken pieces of the side panel inside the box. The seller did a lousy job packing this 86 pound beast. It's an insult how crappy it was packaged. I can't tell if the tray labored hard before he shipped or not. Hard to tell from the original listing.

If I'm stuck with it, I'd send it anywhere no matter the cost for shipping and service. What else am I going to do with a $3000 paper weight. If Grasshopper isn't interested, and I can't find anywhere else to send, would you be willing to service it krbahr? Would it be make more sense to send it to Japan for service?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 01:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What killed it was shipping. What kills most players is shipping. I would avoid shipping it any more than needed. If it can be fixed in another state DRIVE IT THERE and then DRIVE IT BACK.

I think it may be very very hard to fix though. Official parts support in the US for this player isn’t just dead, it never existed, and Japan seems to be out of lasers and spindles.

I feel bad for everyone involved, but mostly the masters at Pioneer that built this unit by hand only to have some moron drop it 20 years later. LD players were designed to last forever but they were never designed for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th owners. :(

If you buy another one make sure it ships in its original box which is palletted. Don’t buy one from an American and of course from anyone who’s native language is Portuguese. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 07:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The last one I worked on pbiancardi shipped it to me and then came out and drove it back to avoid shipping damage.

If grasshopper does not want to work on it Email me at kbahr@comcast.net and we can discuss when I would have time to work on this. I have some problem 97's and still repairing my old house to sell.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 15:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
The last one I worked on pbiancardi shipped it to me and then came out and drove it back to avoid shipping damage.

If grasshopper does not want to work on it Email me at kbahr@comcast.net and we can discuss when I would have time to work on this. I have some problem 97's and still repairing my old house to sell.

The seller agreed for a return and refund. I'm scared to keep it in case it's not repairable. Yet if it only needs alignment and no parts...

I haven't heard back from Grassopper. And if you were to service it, I'd still have to have you ship it back to Michigan which is risky I'm sure. What would you guys do in this situation?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 15:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

clashradio wrote:
krbahr wrote:

The seller agreed for a return and refund. I'm scared to keep it in case it's not repairable. Yet if it only needs alignment and no parts...

I haven't heard back from Grassopper. And if you were to service it, I'd still have to have you ship it back to Michigan which is risky I'm sure. What would you guys do in this situation?

Considering there are no parts for this player I would return it and get the best lower priced player with best PQ available.
This way you can enjoy LD for years to come until that player with no parts available dies.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 00:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

P5 is a spindle error, E4 is probably a clamp failure. If it's actual hardware damage, replacing those might be nearly impossible. As much as I can see wanting to have an X0... I'm not sure getting one at this late date is very practical. It made more sense when n$a sold them - he got them looked over @ Pioneer Japan (back when they still could!) and he knew how to properly double-box them.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 02:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Substance’s honest evaluation (I think it was him) of its performance makes me feel not so bad about never owning one. Considering the processing and display tech we are using today (well, most people, I still use CRTs) I’m happy with a 8/10 or 9/10 player since the gains made with each upgrade are smaller and smaller.

Most people would be happy with a DVL, R7G, 97, or 99.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 11:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would return it based on the opinions of the other members. Even if you get those things fixed (P5/E4), you never know if there's more underlying problems. It was really hard to decipher the eBay listing and it seems like they have been using some kind of automatic web translation. Shipping the players are always a risk and the risk is inevitable for many of us, unless you can drive to the destination and pick it up by yourself.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 03:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserpaal wrote:
I would return it based on the opinions of the other members. Even if you get those things fixed (P5/E4), you never know if there's more underlying problems. It was really hard to decipher the eBay listing and it seems like they have been using some kind of automatic web translation. Shipping the players are always a risk and the risk is inevitable for many of us, unless you can drive to the destination and pick it up by yourself.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially krbahr. It was a tough decision but everyone here is right; parts are impossible to get. And there may be more problems since it was clearly dropped. Hard having this thing sitting looking at me, knowing I have to give it back....

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 23:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sucks they can't seem to ship something without tossing it around these days. I just spent the weekend fixing a clearly dropped X9 which was doable with help, when I had issue with shipped X0 I would have been stuck without Kurtis...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 00:27 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
Sucks they can't seem to ship something without tossing it around these days. I just spent the weekend fixing a clearly dropped X9 which was doable with help, when I had issue with shipped X0 I would have been stuck without Kurtis...

Usually anything from Japan is top notch. A buddy of mine bought clippings from a magazine that were packed better than this X0.

In your opinion which do you like better? X0 or X9?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 14:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

clashradio wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

Usually anything from Japan is top notch. A buddy of mine bought clippings from a magazine that were packed better than this X0.

The X0 is way better than the X9 IMO...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 23:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
clashradio wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

The X0 is way better than the X9 IMO...

That's what I figured. I'm still half tempted to look for another X0.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]