It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: PDO 5" CD VIDEO discs
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 00:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have just come across a box with a few LDs (nothing special among them) & one 5" PDO pressed CD video disc that I had forgotten about.

Had quite a few of the PDO 5"CD video discs that came with a collection bought around 6 or 7 years ago but most were pretty much as expected, very poor playback with a fair number not playable at all.

The one I still have here is PRO-CDV-4460 R.E.M. Music From Tourfilm.

I popped it into an LD player not expecting it to play or if it played at all very poorly but it plays well including the video track, the audio is fine & the video has only the odd spot of colour flash but other than that the playback is really good. The original video source material is pretty crappy & if you check other media versions of the concert footage you will see it is not great. Quite surprised given my past experience with the PDO 5" discs & what other LD users have apparently had also. Perhaps I was a bit unlucky with them but this is one of the only PDO 5" discs that I have had that played so well - most if not all I tried before were very spotty on the video (if the player actually managed to play the video) with audio breaking up throughout.

Anyone have any of the PDO 5" CD video discs that still play well?

Just curious.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: PDO 5" CD VIDEO discs
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 05:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'd love to have a clean Doctorin' the Tardis or True Faith but even when those things were a few years old they were legendary rotters. I've never had the motivation to buy them 18 times to find a good one.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 14:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Doctorin the tardis is MPO FRANCE.i don’t remember my copy having rot

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 18:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Most of my PDO 5" CDV discs are ok. Some have developed some slight speckling. The three that were REALLY bad for me were "Madonna", "Mr. Mister" (both NTSC) and "Anita Baker" (PAL).

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 19:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

giannis wrote:
Doctorin the tardis is MPO FRANCE.i don’t remember my copy having rot

I didn’t know that. Thanks! Now I can put it on my list.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 00:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
Most of my PDO 5" CDV discs are ok. Some have developed some slight speckling. The three that were REALLY bad for me were "Madonna", "Mr. Mister" (both NTSC) and "Anita Baker" (PAL).

Thanks & perhaps I was a bit unlucky with the ones I had.

Must have been 15 to 18-ish that I had but all were pretty poor & at least 3 or 4 the player (a CLD-D515 used back then) would not play the video at all.

A pity as they were in great condition, stored well but still the issues were there - perhaps the 515 was not the best player to have tried them out on?

My main player is a CLD-D925 but when checking out collections bought back in the day so many discs were being popped in & out of the player a 515 was used for that as I did not want to knock the guts out of the 925. Maybe the 925 would have handled them better but the 2 or 3 I did pop into the 925 were not playable in it after failing in the 515.

Thanks again.

Cheers

btw..... the 515 must have had quite a few thousand LDs pass through it & it never faltered. I picked it up in used but very good condition from a chap who had bought it new (in 1998) along with around 300 discs in 2004 or 2005. For a few years I picked up a few players with collections & settled on the 925 I still have & sold the discs I had no interest in - not done that for a few years now. Sold the 515 player around 2010 or 11 & the person I sold it to knew it had been used in that manner but was happy to take it on. He used it fairly often for a few years & it still gets used occasionally still doing as it should with no issues at all. Not sure if my Blu-ray/DVD player will stand up to that & still be spinning discs albeit smaller lighter ones but it may be a little while before I find that out, don't know if I will still be here though. Fair to say it may have had a rather soft picture (as the 515 has) but it performed very well mechanically & still does - thanks PIONEER.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]