It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: FOUND THE SITE Old Maker list
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 01:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Took a broken HDD for me to find this on a thumbdrive that I had to fix my old computer.

http://www.djdesign.com/tutorial/makers.html
I'm not reading all of it but one could try to contact some of the listed and see what they have to say.

Post subject: Re: FOUND THE SITE Old Maker list
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 02:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cool find.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 04:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well now that I had a few minutes I see that all the links are pretty much gone.
So this may have been a dream that will never happen when awake LOL

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 04:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rein-o wrote:
Well now that I had a few minutes I see that all the links are pretty much gone.

This is where web.archive.org gets so precious!

http://www.pioneerusa.com/rep.html (Internet Archive 2000 snapshot)
http://www.imation.com/products/data/content/0,1011,1167,00.html (Internet Archive 2000 snapshot)

http://www.optical-disc.com/rlv.htm (Internet Archive 2000 snapshot)

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 22:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This might be of interest to some folk who use this site.

This was from years ago & I kept it. When checking again the pages I was getting (last looked at perhaps 5 or 6 years ago) are no longer on the web or am I not looking properly? Lots of stuff looks to have gone that I thought would have been findable anytime. If you pop the title 'inside a laserdisc plant' into your search engine of choice the article is still on the net & there are other Sentinal pages on other formats that may be of interest.

Sorry if this is already here somewhere but perhaps some may not have seen it, I found it of interest.

Inside A Laser Disc Plant: Super Clean And Robotic
1987 August 22
The Sentinel
Harry Somerfield
It looked like a scene from the movie Andromeda Strain. We were instructed to don particulate anti-contamination outfits -- complete with head-coverings, long white smocks, green booties, and operating room-type surgical masks.
This was an adventure into the high-tech world of home entertainment software manufacturing.
What seem like extreme precautions are, rather, standard procedures to prevent minute dust and dirt particles from entering Pioneer's laser videodisc (trade name ''LaserVision'') manufacturing plant in Carson, a suburb of Los Angeles.
The plant has just been extensively modernized, at a cost of $10 million. To say that the new equipment is state-of-the-art would surely be an understatement.
Everything I saw in Pioneer's 67,000- square-foot facility reminded me that the future is now -- with robots doing jobs faster, and more accurately, than any mere mortal could dream.
Speed is particularly important -- there is bound to be a surge of consumer interest in laser-read software spurred by both the introduction of CD-V discs, and the sales success of combination CD-LV (and now CD-CD--V-LV) players.
The Carson facility is fully operational and capable of producing 350,000 8-inch or 12-inch LaserVision discs each month. Long range plans call for further expansion, until one million discs a month can be produced, and the addition of CD and CD-V manufacturing capabilities.
Making a LaserVision disc is quite complicated. The movie studios provide Pioneer Video Manufacturing (PVM) with a 1-inch format videotape of their film. The staff at the PVM plant then prepares the original tape for replication. This can involve numbering each individual frame (in the case of CAV discs), or inserting time codes (in the case of CLV discs), chapter stops, or other features unique to the laser videodisc format.
The master manufacturing disc is made using a photographic-type process to etch tiny pits on a 12-inch glass disc. The pits that store the picture and sound are so small that if an individual pit were the size of a football, the glass disc would be the size of Los Angeles.
It is because of the minute size of the information pits that the surgical-type gear must be worn by everyone in the work area, and contaminants smaller than a single particle of smoke are filtered from the air. A single dust particle trapped inside during manufacture would ruin an LV disc.
Once the master is completed, the discs are manufactured using an injection-molding process that delivers an exact duplicate of the glass original, in crystal-clear acrylic plastic. Then a reflective silver coating is applied by a metallic plating process.
Unlike a CD or CD-V, LaserVision discs have information on both sides. Therefore, the final manufacturing step is to coat the plated surfaces with glue to bond side one to side two.
Voila, a completed LaserVision disc.
Finally, the packaging: A label is applied, the disc is inserted into a protective sleeve, and then into its colorful cardboard jacket.
Each step of the manufacturing process is scrupulously monitored by both humans and machines.
Discs are removed at random from the assembly line and played by quality control personnel to ensure that the system is working perfectly.
The Pioneer Video Manufacturing plant in Carson is responsible for 95 percent of the laser videodiscs sold in the U.S. The remaining 5 percent is produced by either 3M Corporation, or imported from Japan.
If you've considered adding a LaserVision player to your home entertainment system, but were concerned about availability of software, you need worry no longer. There are more than 2,000 titles in the current LaserVision catalog.
Many of the top studios now are releasing their movies on both videotape and laser videodisc at the same time. Some of the top selling discs at the moment are: Alien and Aliens, Top Gun, Ruthless People, Stand by Me, Legal Eagles, Sleeping Beauty, Sid and Nancy, and Help!
Among the laser videodisc titles to be released this month are: The Police -- Every Breath You Take, Francesca de Rimini with New York's Metropolitan Opera, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Red Sonja, Baby, Winnie the Pooh -- A Day for Eeyor/ Blustery Day, Stepfather, Airport '77, Appaloosa, It's a Gift, Morocco, All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949), Jesus Christ Superstar, Playing for Keeps, Crocodile Dundee, Heat, Island Breeze, Critters, My Demon Lover, Billy Idol, Eyes of Fire, Harem, Kindred, That's Life, The Mosquito Coast and Round Midnight.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]