It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Random knocking sound on playback
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 00:59 
I was watching Glimmer Man on my R7G.
Player did play the disc perfectly without problems but on random occasions I could hear a slight knocking sound from inside the player from this disc.
I have never heard this sound on playback before and it made me a little worried.
What could it be?

Is it dust on disc surface causing random knocking sound?
I could hear knock on both sides during playback.

I have to play some more discs to see if the same phenomenon occurs?

Post subject: Re: Random knocking sound on playback
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 21:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

van-dammage wrote:
I was watching Glimmer Man on my R7G.
Player did play the disc perfectly without problems but on random occasions I could hear a slight knocking sound from inside the player from this disc.
I have never heard this sound on playback before and it made me a little worried.
What could it be?

Is it dust on disc surface causing random knocking sound?
I could hear knock on both sides during playback.

I have to play some more discs to see if the same phenomenon occurs?

Hi van-dammage,

It's strictly a guess on my part, but the first thing that comes to mind is slight warping of the disc. Did you notice any herringbone patterns in the picture during the time you heard the sound? I would recommend checking the disc to see if it appears to be totally flat or not. I have encountered this type of sound on a few discs from time to time, and that seemed to be the cause. Check a few other discs, and if you don't notice it on any others, I think that may be what you're dealing with. If so, it may be repairable using the methods discussed here in some of the threads about warped discs. It's worth a try, as I have had some luck in the past fixing them if they are not too badly warped. If this seems to be the problem, and you are unable to correct it by weighing it down for a while, at least Glimmer Man is not a rare title, and you should be able to replace it with another copy without too much searching or expense. :thumbup:

Best Regards,
David

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 23:45 
Hey buddy

Tonight, I played William Friedkin's The Sorcerer on my CLD-R7G.
What an utterly crappy movie it was!

Before I bought this LD, I watched the trailer on Youtube which gave me a false belief this movie was great like the other flix Friedkin has made - French Connection, To live and die in LA etc etc.
I also red the ratings on IMDB, movie had great ratings from other people.
The first 30 minutes of this movie was intense which made me think I would like this movie however the rest of it was boring and I didn't like it.
Lesson learned never trust ratings!

Regarding knocking sound, my R7G made some funny sound on random occasions playing The Sorcerer.
Strange sound appeared in intervals like 10-20 minutes apart from time to time but not constantly during playback

Playback on picture and sound quality was flawless on both Glimmer Man and Sorcerer.
It's the funny sound my CLD-R7G made on random occasions playing both discs that makes me worried!

Could a slight warp from disc cause laser mechanism to give a knocking/thumper noise during playback?
I don't know how to exactly explain this noise, like small quirks which happens randomly during playback

I have a random herring bone pattern (mesh covering entire screen which comes and goes randomly) with 3 vertical lines seen on the A/V channel which is caused by a weird ground loop issue?!
I have several ground loop separators installed to my VCR player, my flat screen TV, my coax aerial outlet.
Ground loop issue on the A/V channel went away when I installed all separators, but the next day same crap with interference on A/V channel came back like before.
Doesn't matter if I use separators or not the same interference comes back on and off through A/V channel on all my sources from VHS/DVD/LD which is pi$$ing me OFF!!

Don't know what to do to fix my problem with interference as I disconnected each and every electronic device from my outlets to rule out what is causing my interference?

Cheers
David

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 12:29 
the best way to spot a warped disc, is it by placing the LD on flat surface like a table or holding disc with finger tips then doing a visual inspection?
if disc has a slight oval warp then disc needs attention

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 17:39 
played the above discs in my DVL-909 without strange noise on playback.
this means discs are not warped.

maybe i should describe the strange sound as tapping sound which appears on random occasions for a a second or 2 on my cld-r7g.
playback is perfect on both audio and video.

could it be that the plastic wheel cogs or bearings needs lubrication

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 00:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Open the player, look in from the side where the power supply is at so you can watch the distance between the laser focus lens and the actual disc and see if each time you hear the tap the lens is jumping and hitting the LD surface. This would be telling you bad alignment or laser problems, this would also explain your herring bone pattern issue. If you have a CAV recorded LD put it in and see if the herring bone pattern goes away.

you actually need to watch it perform to see where the noise is coming from.

Post subject: Re: Random knocking sound on playback  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 12:07 
krbahr wrote:
Open the player, look in from the side where the power supply is at so you can watch the distance between the laser focus lens and the actual disc and see if each time you hear the tap the lens is jumping and hitting the LD surface. This would be telling you bad alignment or laser problems, this would also explain your herring bone pattern issue. If you have a CAV recorded LD put it in and see if the herring bone pattern goes away.

you actually need to watch it perform to see where the noise is coming from.

thanks for this great info.

tapping noise just appeared recently, never had it before, it came from nowhere.
I have not moved my player or bumped it.

herring bone pattern on A/V channels also appears watching movies on my dvd player or videotape recordings on my S-VHS player.
herring bone issue comes from a ground loop interference.
I have connected several ground loop separators to each of my TV's and the inlet of my aerial coax and a TRIS to my VCR.
I only get a clean picture on A/V channel for 24hrs and the ground loop statics is back the next day annoying the hell out of me!!

nothing helps permanent!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 19:51 
Update

I watched Chritopher Lambert's The Hunted on my CLD-R7G
Operating sound on my player was dead quiet and normal without any tapping noise like I heard from Glimmer man and The Sorcerer during playback.

It must have been something with Sorcerer and Glimmer man discs making my player give a random tapety sound.
Slight warp or what??

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 23:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Why don't you look at the discs to check, its hard for any of us to do so.

What are the stickers like compared to the one that didn't rumble.
Wonder if its your spindle going bad :problem:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 10:09 
rein-o wrote:
Why don't you look at the discs to check, its hard for any of us to do so.

What are the stickers like compared to the one that didn't rumble.
Wonder if its your spindle going bad :problem:

I checked discs, I bought them used, discs might have some surface scratches but did not affect picture quality beside the random tapety noise which I heard during playback.

do you refer to labels around center hole?
they still look good undamaged

spindle motor is this the correct parts number for most Pioneer players?
VXZ1006

if the spindle motor turns out bad, what kind of issues should I expect from a bad spindle motor?
strange noise from player?
strange vibrations from player?
slipping discs?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 17:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Google search could answer this better than me as others have answered this before and they are floating around the internet, google is your friend.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]