It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for the player buying guide thread
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 21:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

One of the members here wrote a guide on buying laserdisc players and I am having a hard time finding it. Can someone please refer me to it ?

Post subject: Re: Looking for the player buying guide thread
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 08:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This probably isn't it, but here's a pretty good guide. Its old, but most of the info is accurate. I think this was written after LD had died.
http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/askjosh.htm#hardware

I'd also add that players like the CLD-3030, CLD-3070, and CLD-3080 are good players as well. The 3080 was the basis for the CLD-95 / 97, the latter is regularly called the best player released in the US market.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 16:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't you have an R7G or something like that??
Right now since the parts are not available your best players are working ones.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 23:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

virtualvcr wrote:
This probably isn't it, but here's a pretty good guide. Its old, but most of the info is accurate. I think this was written after LD had died.
http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/askjosh.htm#hardware

I'd also add that players like the CLD-3030, CLD-3070, and CLD-3080 are good players as well. The 3080 was the basis for the CLD-95 / 97, the latter is regularly called the best player released in the US market.

I am particularly looking for ones least prone to failures, that thread had a specific models mentioned between reasonably priced and reliability

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 23:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
Don't you have an R7G or something like that??
Right now since the parts are not available your best players are working ones.
Good luck.

its a bit scary but LD is one of those rare electronics that are dying yet demand is still high for them with no replacement parts. I remember there were people who fixed them and calibrate them (kbhar?) but not sure if they are still around.

I am guessing this is it for LDs, you either have a working one or not

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 01:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are still ways of repairing them and they last a long time in general. I’m not hugely worried about it.

I’m not sure how practical any “guide” is going to be though. Unless you live in HK or Japan it’s not like you’re going to be able just walk into any place with any selection whatsoever and just buy stuff. You’re limited to what’s around you and what’s affordable and what isn’t broken and that’s about it.

Sure, you could go to eBay but no matter how reliable a particular player is the DHL guy can still smash it the second he sees it. Shipping and lack of use break %99 of players. The ones I’ve been running almost daily for years and years do very well.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 03:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Not really scary, we all know the best players etc but if you can afford multiple grands then go for it.
Whatever those guides say are like posted above from zeta, they may be reliable so just go with what you want rather than worrying too much, there's enough to worry about the way it is.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 20:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
There are still ways of repairing them and they last a long time in general. I’m not hugely worried about it.

I’m not sure how practical any “guide” is going to be though. Unless you live in HK or Japan it’s not like you’re going to be able just walk into any place with any selection whatsoever and just buy stuff. You’re limited to what’s around you and what’s affordable and what isn’t broken and that’s about it.

Sure, you could go to eBay but no matter how reliable a particular player is the DHL guy can still smash it the second he sees it. Shipping and lack of use break %99 of players. The ones I’ve been running almost daily for years and years do very well.

I am trying to avoid purchasing any players that might be known for common failures.

Ebay is about my only option to buy, is there any directions I can give the seller for the player to arrive safe?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 21:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pick it up in person.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 00:30 
True fan
True fan

By going the ebay route you are just setting yourself up for more trouble, better to comb craigslist for a few months and local flea markets etc.

I did get lucky with a player on ebay for sale locally, I was able to pick it up in person since the seller was 15 minutes from where I live.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 00:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
pick it up in person.

If that's just not possible then insist they ship it as you specify; including double boxing. Ask before purchasing and save yourself some hassle - don't buy it if they won't. I've gone so far as to supply the proxy bidder in Japan with an annotated diagram of how to pack it - multiple players shipped from Japan with 100% success rate.
On the other hand my first attempt via an ebay seller - one layer of bubble wrap and then basically wrapped in cardboard. On top of that the shipping label was actually attached to the bottom side so it travelled upside down. No prizes for guessing how that arrived. You really just have to wonder how stupid some people are thinking that kind of packing is adequate.
I'm thinking probably more players are destroyed these days by bad shipping than we lose by natural attrition.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 01:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rch928 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I am trying to avoid purchasing any players that might be known for common failures.

Ebay is about my only option to buy, is there any directions I can give the seller for the player to arrive safe?

Where do you live?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]