It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:01

Page 14 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 20:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sjoerg wrote:
It's certainly been on my list for some time, I guess I've been offput by the bloated prices on ebay, always seem to miss the low selling ones...

Yeah, I sold one for a lot then thought I should have it and picked it up again cheap.
Haven't even used it yet. :crazy:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 19:49 
True fan
True fan

I had to pair an es25 with my Trinitron 32" fs320 because the comb filter was not very good but that went out the window when I got my 960 and XS955. The comb filters in the HD sets are the best I've seen.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 00:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

elahrairrah wrote:
Yeah, the Panasonic DMR-ES25 is definitely a 3D comb filter. Not the greatest 3D comb filter, but it definitely doesn't behave like a 2D filter.

Do you know if the HDMI outputs at 480i?

By any chance do you know if the comb filter is better than the built in CF on the HLD-X0? Attached in a still from the s-video out of my X0.
Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 96.91 KiB | Viewed 7671 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 05:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

@clashradio: I seem to remember mine doing 480p, but i haven't used it in a while (and it prolly needs a recapping :P )

There's definitely room to improve on the comb filtering there - if you have the money, you should pair that up with an Lumagen 2144 while they're still around!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 13:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

happycube wrote:
@clashradio: I seem to remember mine doing 480p, but i haven't used it in a while (and it prolly needs a recapping :P )

There's definitely room to improve on the comb filtering there - if you have the money, you should pair that up with an Lumagen 2144 while they're still around!

I do have a 2144, which is mind blowing on how good the S&W looks. But the only interlace option is 1080. I keep reading ppl say NOT to upscale. So that leaves me with 480p. Where I think a dvd-recorder outputs (pass-through) at 480i and I'm hoping that is for both component and hdmi?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 17:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The people saying not to upscale don't have anything like a 2144. ;) If you're using an LCD or any other modern display you're scaling somewhere along the line. And you've got the best scaler, use it!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 21:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

clashradio wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
Yeah, the Panasonic DMR-ES25 is definitely a 3D comb filter. Not the greatest 3D comb filter, but it definitely doesn't behave like a 2D filter.

Do you know if the HDMI outputs at 480i?

By any chance do you know if the comb filter is better than the built in CF on the HLD-X0? Attached in a still from the s-video out of my X0.
Attachment:
Image1.jpg

When I get home, I'll plug it into my Plasma TV via HDMI and check to see if it gives the option to output at 480i

As far as comparing it to the comb filter in the X0--that I can't be sure of.

I'll take a photo of the Snell&Wilcox test plate using the composite out from my Runco LJR-II into the ES25, and let you decide.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 23:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

clashradio wrote:
I do have a 2144, which is mind blowing on how good the S&W looks. But the only interlace option is 1080. I keep reading ppl say NOT to upscale. So that leaves me with 480p. Where I think a dvd-recorder outputs (pass-through) at 480i and I'm hoping that is for both component and hdmi?

I'm curious what your specific need/reasoning for 480i is? 480p isn't scaled, just de-interlaced. Like happycube says on any modern display there must be scaling somewhere in the chain. The only reason I could think of is to feed into a SD CRT, but then how many of those have hdmi or dvi inputs??

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 18:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The comb filter of my Panasonic DMR-ES35 vhs/dvd is dead !

i didnt now this particular part of the machines suffered from continuous switch on/off
finally i detected what was destroying the picture, it was the fried comb filter, thanks God it
can be turned off from menu

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 16:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Will a DVD recorder improve picture quality, if what you're looking for is a filmic unfiltered sharper and clearer image?

I recently purchased the Pioneer CLD-D590. I've hooked it up to a Panasonic plasma 50" ST60 using composite. I've activated the 3D Comb filter in the TV and have all picture "enchancements" off (when used they imo only hampers the image). I've played around with settings such as basic contrast, brightness and color settings, and while the end result is decent, it's far from satisfactory. I wasn't expecting miracles since this is LD and so many of us have been spoiled by Blu-Ray and HDTV for years, so my expectations was set realistically from the onset. The quality varies from disc to disc. T2 TXH widescreeen special collector's CAV edition and Top Gun THX widescreen looking good (as in filmic texture and colors), while Bram Stoker's Dracula (japanese widescreeen) and Beverly Hills Cop looking murky, lacking texture with a nosiy and borderline VHS look.

I own about 10 discs, and like I said the PQ varies but they all share one nagging trait, they all look out of focus. I'm squinting constantly(nothing wrong with my eyesight) . Sure, it may have to do with the distance to the TV, although I doubt it, I'm sitting about 9 feet away. SO what to do?

I've read a lot here and in other places and I've com to the conclusion that line-doublers, externals scalers are out. They are either way too expensive or probably inferior to scaling capabilities in my plasma. What remains is using a DVD recorder. I've checked this out https://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/ ... mre65.html

The plan is to use to 3d Comb filter in the DVR and to connect the LD through composite to it and component out to the plasma. Will this improve PQ, and in what way? Will it do what I hope, namely sharpen things up and provide an improved depth of field without giving the picture a digitized look and/or other DVD-like artifacts (such as compression issues, banding, aliasing, EE, etc.

Does anyone own it or know if it's up to snuff? Any other tips would also be welcome. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 18:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think what you’re experiencing is “Laserdisc”.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 00:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Pictures would be nice but as zeta says it sounds like what LD is.

But I don't feel that any disc is as bad as a VHS unless the master is really, really bad.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 00:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LD quality varied from disc to disc greatly back then and he’s seeing that. “Blurry” is what you get when you have 1/64 the picture information of Blu-ray and you’ve blown it up to at least four times as large as the biggest TV on the market in the 90s. Everything sounds cool. The ultimate LD setups will do away with everything but the blur. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 02:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh I didn't see that 50" screen LOL
Yeah older pressings don't look great blown up, I've tried and still can't get it any better.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 02:31 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for the feedback. Although, I'm surprised that no one mentioned or answered any of my questions in regards to the DVD recorder(Panasonic DMR-E65).

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 04:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

cineasten wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Although, I'm surprised that no one mentioned or answered any of my questions in regards to the DVD recorder(Panasonic DMR-E65).

I have no experience with that model or any DVD recorder for that matter, actually I did own one years ago and it was great for recording
but I didn't use it for a filter.

While it may improve the image you may not be seeing what you want to see.
Its still an older analog video technology that can look great for what it was on modern equipment.

From the pictures in another post I would say that you could get an image slightly better than DVD IF you are willing to spend
the cash.

I believe mimilovesjapan has an X0 and lumagen scaler, posted some great images of Heavy Metal.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 17:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I think what you’re experiencing is “Laserdisc”.

Yep. Any media format tbh. DVDs have wild variance.

RE: DVD recorders, one I picked up awhile back has helped greatly with a plasma set I have. Much better than the lower end DVDO and Lumagen units I have. I did not compare with DVDO Duo because I didn't want to unhook that from its current installation.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 20:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I newly adopted DMR-EX 250V

2006 Panasonic DIGA
DMR-EX 250V
(USA = DMR - EZ 45 V?)
HDD + DVD + VHS recorder

On-board function
3DY / C
3DNR
PEAKS processor
Beauty image quality Converder
DIGA ENGINE II

I am suffering from connection

① LD-S1 → (S-VIDEO) → DMR-EX 250V → DUO

② LD - S1 -> DMR - EX 250V -> (HDMI)
→ DUO

② I can see it more beautifully than ①

PEAKS processor
Improve the sense of the depth of the whole image with "contrast management" by the new "PEAKS processor"
In addition to the control for each field so far, with the newly developed "contrast management"
By adjusting the contrast by controlling each picture while matching with the front and back images,
Improve the depth of the whole image

Beauty image quality Converder
With upscaling
Commercial DVD plays with image quality approaching high definition
The resolution of a commercially available DVD is basically 720 × 480. Extend this to 1920 × 1080 high definition resolution
Scale the 720 x 480 to 1920 x 1080 with a DVD recorder and display it on the full spec high vision panel with DOTbyDOT

How do you connect the equipment?

I would like to refer

Attachments:
111.JPG
111.JPG [ 44.03 KiB | Viewed 6829 times ]

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 18:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I talk about the comb filters in Blu-ray recorders from Japan a bit in this thread: using Blu-ray recorders from Japan for LDs

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 09:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Quick noob question. Found a DMR ES15 /ES25 locally cheap. Working but the DVD tray is busted. As long as i have the remote i can make use of it to use it to 3D comb between my LD player and TV correct?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Page 14 of 17 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next