It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Subtitle files and laserdisc rips help
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 18:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi guys looking for how to do this. a little help would be good.

I have my laserdisc player split between my tv and my windows computer via a elgato capture card. i can the take the output of that and show it on the tv. question is how do i overlay the subtitles on the top of the output of the elgato? or if i capture the laserdisc to mp4 where can i find a subtltle file for the mp4 so i can play it via my android box or vlc on the pc.

Hope that made sence overlay or capture and subtitle file

i have lots of files for the discs in java script format but dont know how to use them. could i use dvd subs for the laserdisc? if so where do i find them

Alan

Post subject: Re: Subtitle files and laserdisc rips help
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 03:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There’s a thread for this already but I don’t know what it’s called.

I’m assuming this is about anime. If you are looking for subs for 8 1/2 or something I don’t know how to help.

I’ve only ever done this totally analog. I use an old PC running Substation Alpha going through an external genlock. In this scenario the box pretty much just mixes two signals together. The PC is just playing a chroma key background and subs and the LD player is just playing. It’s pretty much impossible to screw up.

Once you get into the realm of digitally capturing the source there are innumerable ways of mixing the streams, seriously, uncountable, and that’s all left to people who have time to keep up with constantly changing tech. I tend to leave things alone once they are working (obviously). :) All the digital means involve storing huge files, waiting for stuff to render, and dealing with the overall unpleasantness of PC on a much more time consuming level.

For anime LDs you’re going to want to find vintage subtitles files, probably in the SSA or maybe Jacosub format. This...is surprisingly hard to do. A member here sent me some. I feel like a dink for losing the hundreds of files I had back in the day.

Using DVD subs would be hard. They aren’t stored as text so it would require OCR, wouldn’t it? And the timing will be all messed up.

If it’s realistic I strongly recommend the old fashion real time way of doing it. It won’t look as good but it’s almost as easy as dubbing a movie to VHS.

You aren’t going to usually find SSA scripts for something if it was licensed for North America in the VHS era. There is a lot of Gundam and Ghibli because those took forever to make it to the US but you aren’t going to find a lot of Ranma 1/2 or Bubblegum Crisis because those were licensed early in their lives and fansubbers usually would concentrate on stuff that hadn’t been translated.

If you find a script for Run Melos please let me know. I know it existed at one point because I still have a fan sub of it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 14:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
There’s a thread for this already but I don’t know what it’s called.

Maybe... Guide to making Japanese anime releases English friendly ?

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 14:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If anybody want's to share their files that would be great, I found some Russian site but have been waiting on downloading them from another computer.

Want to try my hand at this as I have an old computer ready and since I'm thinning out my LDs I want to focus my titles to rare stuff on LD only and not just something I can pickup at wallmart.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 15:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I managed to get myself one of those genlocks zeta mentioned. Have played around with it only a little bit and still much to learn

Also found some old SSA subtitles, mostly from some links on old threads here and a bit of internet searching, so most of you interested probably have those but happy to compare and share anything people are missing. There's some jacosub ones in there too which are for Amiga computers and had issues so far converting to be compatible with SSA.

For anything that's been re-released there are heaps of downloadable subtitle files from the internet sourced from dvd's and blu-rays. If you're watching the same cut on LD don't see why these wouldn't work. Have successfully used the program 'subtitle edit' to convert/save these as ssa files and they do work in SSA. Yet to do the full treatment by inserting side breaks etc for the LD.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 17:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ok guys i think i have worked it out. if you capture the laserdisc side by side to mp4 then use VLC Media player to play the file and it will acsept substation alpha files and subtile them. now re encode the output of vlc with the subtitles hardcoded from the ssa file. do this for both sides and join the two to make the film. or if you just want to watch send the output to your tv and watch it side by side via hdmi.

I will make a how to on my youtube channel and try to exsplane it on there

Alan

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]