It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:05

Page 1 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 17:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

At the moment I seem to be watching Saturn videos and learning about a few more imports that I have never heard of. I really miss my saturns and games. I hope to add some more import games to the small import collection which is NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS ,Slayers Royal 1 and 2, Evangelion and Petty Sammy. I don't remember the other games I have but some of the US releases are Legend of Oasis NiGHTS and the 3 free pack that came with my US System that I got at the end and got some pretty cheap games at the time. I regret selling Astal since now it costs so much. I have seen a handful of videos about Astal and I am interested in giving the game another chance. I might have to go the burn route for some games.

This is my favorite system of all the ones I have had and still have though I never had a large collection of games to never seeing many games for it and just stumbled on games like at EB games software etc babbages and the like.

What does everyone feel about it?

Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 17:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It's also my favorite console of all time.

Perfect blend of great 2D gaming and solid for its time 3D (3D gaming was still in its infancy, so the fact that the PS1 and N64 looked marginally better didn't mean much to me.)

Panzer Dragoon Saga is an amazing RPG that sadly so few got to play with it being at the end of the console's life and the low print run.

Some of the best conversions of Capcom's 2D fighters are on the system, including Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 which features a mode that no other conversion has (and one that almost all fans of Street Fighter want) - "Reverse Dramatic Battle Mode" where you a single player have to fight two computer controlled opponents at the same time!

I can keep going on, but you get the point. I actually just replaced the battery in my Saturn and getting some playing time on it. Still can't get enough of Vampire Savior.

And I do also have Astal. Such a beautiful game!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 19:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I saw PD saga in person one time and was tempted to buy it but I decided not to. I really should have gotten it.
I need to look more into shooters and fighting games. I am surprised that I haven't gotten vampire savior and the others.,
there's no harm if you want to go on talking that is fine :)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 20:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I picked up Panzer Dragoon Saga last year at a retro game event but I haven't had time to play it yet.

Radiant Silvergun is a stunning shooter, by far the best one I've played and most likely my favorite game for the system. Cotton 2, Stellar Assault SS, Guardian Heroes and Sakura Taisen Columns are also great titles.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 22:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m a huge fan. Huge. My favorites are probably Bomberman SS, Death Tank Zwei, Guardian Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. Back in the day the main game was Street Fighter Zero 2 but I’ve since gotten a Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha PCB so I don’t need no port of that no more.

I like how the system is quiet and reliable. It’s easy to work on and has very good video output. The controllers are basically perfect. It’s a legend. I love the Saturn.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 00:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

I like how the system is quiet and reliable. It’s easy to work on and has very good video output. The controllers are basically perfect. It’s a legend. I love the Saturn.

Nailed it.

Has many of my favorite games.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 06:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So other than the way overpriced Micomsoft boxes, what's the best and economical way to convert a Saturn's RGB21 cable to component or better?

I have a Saturn RGB21 cable (not Euro SCART), but have no way to utilize it for anything.

I imagine I'll get somewhat better picture using that rather than S-Video.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 09:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You could resolder it to Euro SCART and use it with a SCART to YUV converter, though depending on what display you're using it with the results will vary. RGB is vastly superior to S-Video.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 10:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It was summer '97, I was 19 and about to enter uni after 2 years in Australia's equivalent of community college. I'd saved up my pesos and a lot of my friends had bought into Playstation, local or import versions.

My favorite hangout was Sydney Chinatown. I flicked through the Hong Kong game mags in paper shops there. I spotted an ad for Macross: DYRL? on Saturn and was instantly sold, I had to have a Saturn.

No one I knew was going with Saturn, it was PS or nothing. I went straight to a shady spot in Chinatown that sold import consoles with modchips and bootleg RAM carts, the works. You would choose games out of a flip book of covers for $10 a piece. They would go out to a car on the street and get the discs.

I remember Blur was playing on their stereo system in that small sweaty shop filled with Chinese kids and me. I bought my JSaturn for around AUD$400 at the time.

Over the next few years I bought a lot of great, great games, including Macross. All bootlegs with colour copied covers. All worked. Even Marvel Super Heroes vs Capcom complete with a bootleg RAM cart. Got a legit Video CD card there as well. Gave me access to great Asian movies I never would have seen otherwise. Bought some amazing movies like Bounce KO Gals, Made in Hong Kong, Tokyo Eyes, Amuro Namie's first concert, Rie Tomosaka's idol video (loved Rie so much), tons of other Japanese and Hong Kong stuff.

I eventually downloaded isos somewhere that I could burn CDRs with that would work perfectly with the modchip in my SS. Got to play Radiant Silvergun and all that stuff without forking out any cash.

Saturn is the greatest of all time. All my friends gave me a new level of respect after they played on it.

I later got another Saturn while living in Japan. I got Macross legit discs and a small collection of cheap titles.

Favourite games: Dynamite Deka, Layer Section II, Last Bronx, Dead or Alive, Manx TT Superbike and of course Macross, even if just for the cut scenes!! Amazing Macross history!!

I'm about to sell it all off to somebody and just collect Neo Geo AES.

Maybe I should back out?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 13:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
So other than the way overpriced Micomsoft boxes, what's the best and economical way to convert a Saturn's RGB21 cable to component or better?

I have a Saturn RGB21 cable (not Euro SCART), but have no way to utilize it for anything.

I imagine I'll get somewhat better picture using that rather than S-Video.

I'd just get another cable. Either a euroscart if you can use it or the yuv cable from hd retrovision. I think that will run almost $70 ($50 something for the Gen cable and then $14 for the Saturn adapter) but it would be very easy to use without additional equipment beyond a display with proper inputs. If you already have additional equipment the euroscart cable will be cheaper.

Oh some of my favorite games: Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Puzzle Bobble 3, Dragon Force, Soukyougurentai, Layer Section etc... I could really go on listing shooters because there are so many good ones.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 14:29 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:
It was summer '97, I was 19 and about to enter uni after 2 years in Australia's equivalent of community college. I'd saved up my pesos and a lot of my friends had bought into Playstation, local or import versions.

My favorite hangout was Sydney Chinatown. I flicked through the Hong Kong game mags in paper shops there. I spotted an ad for Macross: DYRL? on Saturn and was instantly sold, I had to have a Saturn.

No one I knew was going with Saturn, it was PS or nothing. I went straight to a shady spot in Chinatown that sold import consoles with modchips and bootleg RAM carts, the works. You would choose games out of a flip book of covers for $10 a piece. They would go out to a car on the street and get the discs.

I remember Blur was playing on their stereo system in that small sweaty shop filled with Chinese kids and me. I bought my JSaturn for around AUD$400 at the time.

Over the next few years I bought a lot of great, great games, including Macross. All bootlegs with colour copied covers. All worked. Even Marvel Super Heroes vs Capcom complete with a bootleg RAM cart. Got a legit Video CD card there as well. Gave me access to great Asian movies I never would have seen otherwise. Bought some amazing movies like Bounce KO Gals, Made in Hong Kong, Tokyo Eyes, Amuro Namie's first concert, Rie Tomosaka's idol video (loved Rie so much), tons of other Japanese and Hong Kong stuff.

I eventually downloaded isos somewhere that I could burn CDRs with that would work perfectly with the modchip in my SS. Got to play Radiant Silvergun and all that stuff without forking out any cash.

Saturn is the greatest of all time. All my friends gave me a new level of respect after they played on it.

I later got another Saturn while living in Japan. I got Macross legit discs and a small collection of cheap titles.

Favourite games: Dynamite Deka, Layer Section II, Last Bronx, Dead or Alive, Manx TT Superbike and of course Macross, even if just for the cut scenes!! Amazing Macross history!!

I'm about to sell it all off to somebody and just collect Neo Geo AES.

Maybe I should back out?

Do you like the games more for Neo Geo than Saturn? I would keep Saturn since I still play the games but its up to you.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 15:52 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nissling wrote:
You could resolder it to Euro SCART and use it with a SCART to YUV converter, though depending on what display you're using it with the results will vary. RGB is vastly superior to S-Video.

gypsy wrote:
I'd just get another cable. Either a euroscart if you can use it or the yuv cable from hd retrovision. I think that will run almost $70 ($50 something for the Gen cable and then $14 for the Saturn adapter) but it would be very easy to use without additional equipment beyond a display with proper inputs. If you already have additional equipment the euroscart cable will be cheaper.

Just found this:

RGB21 to HDMI Converter

I might give that a shot rather than buy a Euro SCART.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 16:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Stuff like that won't be great but it will do the job.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 16:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wouldn't recommend it at all. It handles 15KHz very poorly and introduces massive latency. Its internal construction is also extremely cheap (just one single chip, soldered by hand, does all the work with audio and video).

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 16:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nissling wrote:
I wouldn't recommend it at all. It handles 15KHz very poorly and introduces massive latency. Its internal construction is also extremely cheap (just one single chip, soldered by hand, does all the work with audio and video).

So soldering by hand is bad :think:

If the chip is bad I can understand but it shouldn't matter if its a single chip or 20 chips if they are good.

I have no idea of that unit but still it all depends on quality.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 16:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

S Video from the Saturn is super good. RGB is, on paper, a huge upgrade but in the real world 16-bit video games just don’t need the extra bandwidth. If you really want to go up and you already have that cable I would just make/buy a RGB to YPbPr. Any TV that doesn’t suck can scale that but flat stuff will produce lag.

There is this mentality out there these days that you NEED RGB and upscalers that cost more than two of the system did new. It’s nonsene. The best way to play these machines is at their original resolution but even on flat panels, the new ones, results can be very good. Just don’t pretend you’re Daigo and you need flawless video.

(That being said, a Saturn feeding composite strait to a circa 2004 bedroom TV with built in DVD player is NONSENSE. The display is important, juat not in the way internet group think has made people believe.)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 17:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

These days? We've had RGB in Europe for decades and the Saturn even got shipped with a SCART lead, fully supporting RGB, over here. Though the Saturn wasn't really huge here, you'd have a very difficult time finding anyone in Europe who used it with S-Video or composite. I've never used anything lesser for retro games as long as RGB is available (Nes is a classic example, but since the NesRGB kits came around I don't see the point in using composite). And I play on both CRTs, LCDs and OLEDs, either using line doublers, scalers or nothing at all.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 17:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
S Video from the Saturn is super good. RGB is, on paper, a huge upgrade but in the real world 16-bit video games just don’t need the extra bandwidth. If you really want to go up and you already have that cable I would just make/buy a RGB to YPbPr. Any TV that doesn’t suck can scale that but flat stuff will produce lag.

There is this mentality out there these days that you NEED RGB and upscalers that cost more than two of the system did new. It’s nonsene. The best way to play these machines is at their original resolution but even on flat panels, the new ones, results can be very good. Just don’t pretend you’re Daigo and you need flawless video.

(That being said, a Saturn feeding composite strait to a circa 2004 bedroom TV with built in DVD player is NONSENSE. The display is important, juat not in the way internet group think has made people believe.)

I totally get that. I'm not looking to spend an extraordinary amount of capital to get, what, a 10% increase in picture quality?

Once read how a guy was connecting his PS2 to his HDTV with RGB to a Micomsoft XRGB-2 Plus, then a VGA to Component video converter. I kept scratching my head wondering how that would provide THAT much better of a result than just the component video output from the PS2?!?!?

Last edited by elahrairrah on 22 Jun 2018, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 17:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Daigo never played SSII' in times square, would have been eating alive.

Those guys were crazy, killing you with Guile and Ken in seconds.
I remember one guy asking me to pick any character for him before he destroyed me in seconds, and I was good.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 20:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nissling wrote:
These days? We've had RGB in Europe for decades and the Saturn even got shipped with a SCART lead, fully supporting RGB, over here. Though the Saturn wasn't really huge here, you'd have a very difficult time finding anyone in Europe who used it with S-Video or composite. I've never used anything lesser for retro games as long as RGB is available (Nes is a classic example, but since the NesRGB kits came around I don't see the point in using composite). And I play on both CRTs, LCDs and OLEDs, either using line doublers, scalers or nothing at all.

Yeah, you’ve had RGB since the beginning allmost. It doesn’t really make up for the game being at the wrong speed in some cases but in newer machines where that isn’t an issue it’s great.

Page 1 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next