It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:17

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Odd PAL disc
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 15:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi!

Got this oddity from a gentleman over at the Laserdisc Forever facebook group. Seems to be a French PAL prototype movie. I attempted to load the disc, but it was so badly scratched that I didn't take the chance to actually play it. What the contents are, if any, will remain a mystery. Either way it is still a cool cover. No reference number can be found anywhere.

As you can probably see in the pictures, the cover does have a sticker that says "sample - do not use in a machine". Kind of makes me wonder if the scratches are deliberate, or just some random damaged disc used as filler inside the jacket. The disc it self has no labels.

This one isn't in the database. Not sure if I should submit it since it appears to be some test production thing, not an actual release.

Post subject: Re: Odd PAL disc
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 16:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hate to say this but the sleeve says VHD and VHD discs come in caddies like CED, they will not play in regular LD players.
They have micro groves like a record.
I honestly didn't know they made VHD for the PAL market, its pretty cool to see and I guess that's why its a sample or prototype.
Could be a different disc inside the caddy to begin with.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 18:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am fully aware what a VHD is. I loaded it up in my own VHD player with the lid off in order to inspect the disc. Since it were badly scratched up, I didn't attempt to play it.

I've seen picture of a UK prototype before. I think someone posted it on this forum somewhere. It was the movie Convoy.

Did some reading a while ago, and the VHD system had a planned UK release. This one seems to be evidence that it was planned a wider European release as well. The system supposedly is PAL/NTSC compatible, and will switch depending on the type of disc inserted. Wanted to test if that actually were the case, but don't want to risk ruining the stylus. A bit disappointing, but better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 18:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Ah OK, sorry, I thought you thought it was an LD. My mistake.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk the stylus with a scratchy disc.
Very cool and should be updated or added as it is in existence.

Now I wonder if its just the sleeve that is prototype as the disc could be a generic disc like some toy prototypes would be when on display
at toy fairs.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 18:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

No worries. :)

Yes, I suspect too that the disc it self is just some random placeholder. Sounds plausible it were used as a pure display piece during the promotion campaign. Perhaps some other movies got produced that were used as demos.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 21:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for posting the details & pictures.

I think you have a rather cool item there.

Thanks again :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 20:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

samaron wrote:
I am fully aware what a VHD is. I loaded it up in my own VHD player with the lid off in order to inspect the disc. Since it were badly scratched up, I didn't attempt to play it.

I've seen picture of a UK prototype before. I think someone posted it on this forum somewhere. It was the movie Convoy.

Did some reading a while ago, and the VHD system had a planned UK release. This one seems to be evidence that it was planned a wider European release as well. The system supposedly is PAL/NTSC compatible, and will switch depending on the type of disc inserted. Wanted to test if that actually were the case, but don't want to risk ruining the stylus. A bit disappointing, but better safe than sorry.

From what I've read, part of the standard was to auto-adjust for NTSC and PAL. However, it isn't doing a conversion. You'd still have to hook up the player to a monitor that is compatible. Thorn EMI had plans to issue titles in the UK, and this may indeed be a test disc, however with CED and LD already competing in the UK (just like in the US), adding a third disc format made no sense. VHD did get used in industrial applications however because it offered the ability to read multiple tracks at the same time (which is how 3D worked - parallel tracks).

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2021, 05:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just added after confirmation: a French PAL VHD

Châteaux de la Loire (1985) [900247]

Cover to be added soon.

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]