It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ST: Insurrection [LV335883WS] seems overpriced
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 20:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have all the Star Trek movie LD's except for Insurrection. I would love to add it to my collection, but it seems way over priced. Even in the LDDB store the cheapest copy is $30. The average price seems to about $70. Insurrection is one of the least popular trek movies; so why is this LD worth so much money?

Post subject: Re: ST: Insurrection [LV335883WS] seems overpriced
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 20:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think they just didn’t make as many as others because it wasn’t mega huge, also it’s rather late in LD’s life.

I’ve noticed the same thing and have decided I’ll probably just not own it. It’s actually one of my favorite ST movies. Nemesis is by far the worst, IMHO.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 20:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
I think they just didn’t make as many as others because it wasn’t mega huge, also it’s rather late in LD’s life.

I’ve noticed the same thing and have decided I’ll probably just not own it. It’s actually one of my favorite ST movies. Nemesis is by far the worst, IMHO.

I actually like Nemesis better then Insurrection. Nemesis for all its flaws at least had some memorable moments. Imho I think Insurrection was the most forgettable movie of the franchise. I still like Insurrection but I think it would have made a lot better episode then it did a movie.

The only Trek movie that I absolutely do not like is the voyage home. It was nothing more then a romantic comedy/political propaganda peice starring Mr. Spock.

As far as the Insurrection LD goes I am with you. It's just not worth owning for the price people want for it

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Maybe you could settle for a Japanese release.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:

I would if they were any cheaper, but the Japanese releases seem to be worth even more money. Plus I think the Japanese subtitles would drive me nuts (I don't own any Japanese LDs so I'm not sure how distracting the subtitles are)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

pizmo wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I actually like Nemesis better then Insurrection. Nemesis for all its flaws at least had some memorable moments. Imho I think Insurrection was the most forgettable movie of the franchise. I still like Insurrection but I think it would have made a lot better episode then it did a movie.

The only Trek movie that I absolutely do not like is the voyage home. It was nothing more then a romantic comedy/political propaganda peice starring Mr. Spock.

As far as the Insurrection LD goes I am with you. It's just not worth owning for the price people want for it

You’re right, it was an episode basically, that’s what makes it forgettable. However ST movies are usually nowhere near as good as the best episodes of the series. The movies are for punters but the real ish is in the episodes.

Nemisis had that ridiculous dune buggy battle and so many outright bad things about it. At least Insurection was undeniably ST:TNG.

The JP subtitles may not be that bad since this is a letterbox movie and you can just zoom them out on a wide TV. I agree though that the US version would be preferable. I have lots of JP LDs but usually not of Western movies unless there’s some specific reason.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 22:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
pizmo wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

You’re right, it was an episode basically, that’s what makes it forgettable. However ST movies are usually nowhere near as good as the best episodes of the series. The movies are for punters but the real ish is in the episodes.

Nemisis had that ridiculous dune buggy battle and so many outright bad things about it. At least Insurection was undeniably ST:TNG.

The JP subtitles may not be that bad since this is a letterbox movie and you can just zoom them out on a wide TV. I agree though that the US version would be preferable. I have lots of JP LDs but usually not of Western movies unless there’s some specific reason.

Don't get me wrong nemesis had more then it's fair share of failings and is far from the best movie of the franchise. I just feel that it is a notch above Insurrection due to the numerous memorable events that happen in the film. It's a more important film to the franchise is probably a better way of saying it... but you are taking to a person that believes the motion picture is the best Trek film. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm sure I will pick up one version or another of insurrection on LD (mostly because having all the movies released on LD except for one is going to bug the crap out of me). But I think I can wait until I find a good deal on it.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 03:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I really don't mind that a couple of those NG movies felt like long episodes. I know it really bothers some people though.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 04:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
I really don't mind that a couple of those NG movies felt like long episodes. I know it really bothers some people though.

Don't get me wrong I liked insurrection. Infact I like all of the trek movies (except for the voyage home). I just don't think it was one of the better movies and it definetly is not worth $70 to own on it on LD imo.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 22:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pizmo wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I would if they were any cheaper, but the Japanese releases seem to be worth even more money. Plus I think the Japanese subtitles would drive me nuts (I don't own any Japanese LDs so I'm not sure how distracting the subtitles are)

Hi pizmo,

I am pretty sure that the Japanese LD release has no subtitles, bilingual with the original English & a dubbed track in Japanese.

Also a pretty good transfer if my memory serves me.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 22:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just checked the LDDB listing details & it is on here as bilingual & no subtitles.

Worth checking out the title listings/updates here as many queries can be checked out easily that way.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 22:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

je280 wrote:
Just checked the LDDB listing details & it is on here as bilingual & no subtitles.

Worth checking out the title listings/updates here as many queries can be checked out easily that way.

Cheers

Thank you very much for the info. That was very friendly of you to look that up.

I will be keeping an eye out for a deal on both copies

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Don't get me wrong I liked insurrection. Infact I like all of the trek movies (except for the voyage home). I just don't think it was one of the better movies and it definetly is not worth $70 to own on it on LD imo.

Oh most certainly not. Then again I would say most movies aren't worth $70, tbh. I got the Next Gen BD box set for quite cheap, and it's a pretty nice set. I think buyable now for $15 or less online.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
pizmo wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Oh most certainly not. Then again I would say most movies aren't worth $70, tbh. I got the Next Gen BD box set for quite cheap, and it's a pretty nice set. I think buyable now for $15 or less online.

If you wouldn't mind giving up your secrets could you tell me where you find those TNG box sets? I would really love to own at least one season of TNG and DS9 on LD. The problem is that the only place I have found those season box sets are on ebay and the asking price is always hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of dollars.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-The- ... &_dcat=617

There's the movie box set for $13. I realize I didn't say movie set in my last post, so sorry if that caused any confusion.

I paid $50 for the Next Gen series set on BD, which was a nice deal, but doable if you keep your eyes peeled. In fact there is one up right now for around $58 with shipping.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Motion-Picture-Collection-Blu-ray-Disc-2009/132727200906?epid=77297917&hash=item1ee7285c8a%3Ag%3AaYQAAOSwThtbYhrx&_sop=15&_nkw=star+trek+next+generation+movie+collection&_from=R40&rt=nc&_dcat=617

There's the movie box set for $13. I realize I didn't say movie set in my last post, so sorry if that caused any confusion.

I paid $50 for the Next Gen series set on BD, which was a nice deal, but doable if you keep your eyes peeled. In fact there is one up right now for around $58 with shipping.
well I misread your post anyway. My brain somehow turned BD into LD.

It seemed plausible to me that you might of paid $13 for a LD TNG box set because I keep reading about people that pick them up for $20 or $30 and how stupid people are for paying hundreds of dollars for them.

TNG LD box sets are at the top of my list of things I want in my collection, but I just can't afford to drop hundreds of dollars on them

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 02:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah yeah I have no interest in owning Star Trek on LD. Hell, having a couple of the series on DVD is still bad enough with the bulky sets and huge disc count. LD or VHS would be a true space gobbler.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 02:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
Ah yeah I have no interest in owning Star Trek on LD. Hell, having a couple of the series on DVD is still bad enough with the bulky sets and huge disc count. LD or VHS would be a true space gobbler.

Very, very true. That is why one season is all I'm really hoping for instead of the entire series. Could you imagine how much room the entire series on LD would take up?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2018, 23:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

A lot of room. I have the original Star Trek series, All of The Next Gen and both 5 season pressings of Voyager and DS9 and yes they take up a lot of room. In all fairless while they are SD, there are now major differences in the HD pressings and not just Special effects that the laserdiscs are the best way to see them in their original form. Yes I know DS9 and Voyager haven't come out on HD yet but you can bet when they do there will serious upgrades from the SD versions.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 01:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Room alright! On LD I have the complete US and Japan releases of both the original series and TNG (plus the US box set of the animated OS). Add to that the 5 season Japanese releases of DS9 and Voyager. Then also the AU DVD releases of OS/TNG/DS9/VGR/Enterprise in packaging that just kills the boring US cardboard sleeves, plus OS Animated in a similar plastic case that nicely meshes to the AU OS boxes but I recall we had to order from overseas??

Then of course the OS and TNG BD's too (minor space by comparison!).

I still really like to pull out the LD's and see TNG how I remember it - even when blown up to big screen projector size! But let's face it, despite this being shot on film it was edited together on SD video of the era. What I really love about the BD's of TNG is how much they were something of a labour of love by the Okuda's and no doubt many others. The show was edited on SD video and they quickly realised upscaling for BD just wasn't going to cut it. So they went back to all the original film elements and scanned those in HD and then re-edited the show back together. And so far as these things go they stayed remarkably true to the originals, as far as they could scanning all the original film elements for the special effects and re-compositing them to produce visuals remarkably true to the originals (entirely true just with better compositing techniques in most cases).

Some elements needed to be recreated in HD video to match the quality of the new film scans but for the most part the only one that really stood out to me was the crystalline entity, which even despite the majorly increased detail of modern CGI managed to hold true enough to the original CGI effect. As far as I'm concerned if you want to criticise the TNG BD's for not being faithful to the originals then you're probably the kind of 'head in the sand' idiot who still thinks LD is the ultimate home video format capable of the most 'filmic' presentation ever.

On OS the PQ upgrade from the LD and most particularly the DVD is less pronounced - presumably because that was a 'film all the way' enterprise from the start (pun intended now I realise I made it!). The OS BD's do have a totally upgraded modern CGI element for all the ship externals and some other things though; which some understandably hate. What I like about it though is that you do have the option of playing the episodes back with all the original effects too. The best of both worlds if you like - oh dear another trek pun.

For me when talking Star Trek on LD vs BD one is not 'better' than the other in an absolute way. It's a question of what elements of the experience I want to emphasise on that particular viewing and I enjoy each whenever I watch them.

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next