It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:11

Page 4 of 4 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The Matrix LD vs DVD
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 15:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Having just re-watched The Matrix on widescreen VHS a couple nights ago, it cannot be overstated how good the movie is. That's got to be a factor in the price.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 10:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I never thought that movie was very good at all.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 22:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Love the 1st one. Have never been able to sit through any of the sequels.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 23:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

If you want a laserdisc that costs absurd amounts of money and isn't on either DVD or blu-ray, look up the Japanese release of Wizard of Speed and Time.

WOW, I can't see spending that much.
Back in the day I sold my copy for I believe 75 or 100, but this was when LD was HOT, Hotter than HOT.

I have the film and the bonus disc (the latter I think I got from you, thanks for that). I don’t think I paid $50 total for both. This was like five years ago I think. The feature was much cheaper, IIRC. Some friends of mine and I discovered this movie in the early 90s and I’ve loved it ever since. I have a great fondness for optical FX, 70s Hollywood wannabes, and the basic vibe of the whole thing in general. The bonus disc is IMO pretty special in itself since it’s CAV and an LD Single so it will likely never rot.

This is like one of those LDs that sort of should be expensive if anything is but it isn’t. The really insane money is almost always attached to movies that are at best mediocre if not outright terrible and commonly available on other formats for squat. Movie lovers only pay so much but hype lovers crave the actual high prices themselves.

If The 6th Day is worth like $600 then why isn’t THX1138 worth $6000? I’ll tell you. The people who buy $1000 copies of Beavis and Butthead do America or whatever have never heard of THX1138, or The Wizard of Speed and Time, or Daicon Film, Chronolog, T-oy, whatevs. They want a $1000 LD of soemething that’s running on basic cable for free right now because that’s the only crap they know!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 23:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched The Matrix on BR last week and somehow felt a bit underwhelmed by it. I think the real world part of the film is the weakest, mostly because the backstory itself is kind of ridicilous; I think the original idea Wachowski's had was better; I can't remember the exact details of it, but it was closer to the early version of the matrix itself that Smith describes in the film, and didn't involve using people as batteries (which was stupid).

I think the reason it seems underwhelming now is not just because of the sequels but also because of the endless parodies and homages in pop culture have somehow lessened the impact; many of the new techniques pioneered by the movie, like bullet time, were abused to all hell and back by copycats.

Also I'd totally pay $50 for the Wizard of Speed and Time set if the opportunity arose :D I think there's a bootleg DVD now by fans with Mike Jittlov's blessing, but it's been years since I last heard of such a project.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 00:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This year the official F1 recap and replay videos are using a lot of “ramping”, made famous/tiresome by The Matrix. It makes trying to track fast moving cars absolutely nauseating for me and I hate it. Your eyes are following a 200mph car around a corner in such a way that no force on earth could slow it down without destroying it...and then it slows to 15mph so you can watch the clag flying up onto the curb and then BANG you’re going 200mph. I nearly puke. A total idiot is cutting these things together. Hopefully it will go away like the glowing hockey pucks from a while back. In defense of NHL’s move I have to say, at least it wasn’t played out as HELL when they introduced the Tron puck like ramping is in 2018. Is that effect even Y2K compliant?

I saw The Matrix in the theater not even really knowing much about it. I considered it surprisingly good but then it basically became a religion for idiots and I grew so sick from overexposure to the franchise that I never such much of the other two. I worked at a job where I was fired in part for not pre-selling enough copies of the horrible video game too so...I’m probably never going to get around to watching the rest if it...:)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 00:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think I'd rather deal with ramping than shakycam.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 01:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, I do believe I sold you the 8 incher. While it was really cool I was moving and had to sell off stuff etc. etc.

I have also sold off the 12 inch, while the movie is fun its not a great film and at the time with making my collection smaller I really couldn't watch it more than
a few times, so it had to go.

As for the matrix....... what more can I say. As Kurt Vonnegut jr. said best So It Goes.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 13:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
If The 6th Day is worth like $600 then why isn’t THX1138 worth $6000? I’ll tell you. The people who buy $1000 copies of Beavis and Butthead do America or whatever have never heard of THX1138, or The Wizard of Speed and Time, or Daicon Film, Chronolog, T-oy, whatevs. They want a $1000 LD of soemething that’s running on basic cable for free right now because that’s the only crap they know!

Good luck even finding To-y to buy at this point. The recent upload is great though.

signofzeta wrote:
I worked at a job where I was fired in part for not pre-selling enough copies of the horrible video game too so...I’m probably never going to get around to watching the rest if it...:)

lol

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 17:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just checked and apparently I paid $36 for Mike the Wizard (JP name) in February of 2013. It was from Recobanchou so that was probably a standard price in Japan for that title then. That was a long time ago though when it comes to trends. Rein-O sold me the preorder bonus for $40 so I guess I understated what I really paid, more like $100 after shipping both discs.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 16:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I resurrect (pun intended) this thread because I've found that The Matrix laserdisc screenshots from a TV, taken with a camera or a phone, are pretty different from the screenshots taken from a capture, that are very close to DVD.

Examples (from top DVD, LD capture, LD photos):

(taken from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFq4VFQ2RRI)

(taken from this photo https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=61621)

please disregard the aspect ratio and take only in account color grading.

The most probable answer for this difference should be the autowhite of the camera/phone used to take the photo/video.

Now, can anyone with The Matrix laserdisc take a look at their discs and confirm or confute this?
Or with the Region 4 DVD hippiedalek talked about here?

Because, if it's not due to autowhite, and not to the display (first OLED, second plasma), then ***maybe*** there are two different versions around?

Page 4 of 4 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4