It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Page 1 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 2018 Who is still spinning LDs on a regular basis
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 22:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Title pretty much says it all.
I'll always have a collection of LDs and know I will always buy and sell a few from now until...

But how many still spin LDs on a regular basis.
I used to get at least 1 a week going but since my world is still crazy I haven't had time to get my full HT setup and
have only spun a few in my work room with a quick setup.

How about you??

Post subject: Re: 2018 Who is still spinning LDs on a regular basis
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 22:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

When I feel like watching something on LD, I pretty much always go for one of the CGI compilations - which is good, because that's what I got into the format for in the first place.

They're good because, being collections of short films and music videos, I don't have to dedicate some 90 minutes of my spare time to it and can just watch them by piecemeal.

I really need to pick up some additional ones soon.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 23:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Laserdiscs make up the majority of my physical media by a landslide. Got over 1000 LD. maybe 20 bluray and 10-15 DVD. I watch discs on a regular basis. My wife and I watched Von Ryan's Express (1965) [1003-85] last night. Had on The Who: Who's Better Who's Best (1988) [080 345-1] this morning as some wake up jams. I'd say probably 5 out of 7 days a week we watch a laserdisc. Sometimes it's a full movie, sometimes a tv show, and sometimes a concert (classical or rock).

takeshi666 wrote:
When I feel like watching something on LD, I pretty much always go for one of the CGI compilations - which is good, because that's what I got into the format for in the first place.

I didn't know there were CGI compilation discs. What's your favorite, and what kind of stuff does it have on it?
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 23:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not as much as I would like,

Please could someone recommend composite to HDMI conversion connection box, as I am in need of advice on this matter.
On my Sony ZD9 75'' I have a 3 1/2 mil composite jack.

Any recommendations for the above would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Kindest Regards

Mark

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 00:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For my part, I spin up LD's usually multiple times a week. A good bit of time for background music while fiddling about my domicile.

My player trays do NOT collect cobwebs !

Good thread rein-o !

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 01:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

benmbe wrote:
Not as much as I would like,

Please could someone recommend composite to HDMI conversion connection box, as I am in need of advice on this matter.
On my Sony ZD9 75'' I have a 3 1/2 mil composite jack.

Any recommendations for the above would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Kindest Regards

Mark

I wish I could help more, I would look into a scaler or some other device to see what you can get to transfer the signal.
I have 2 flat screen TVs that both have component, 1 I can connect the yellow video into the green, the other didn't work on an older DVD
player but I haven't been able to test out LDs with that second TV.

As for the main topic, it seems that some have either tapped out or are slowing down their spinning abilities :cry:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 01:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

scotts wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I didn't know there were CGI compilation discs. What's your favorite, and what kind of stuff does it have on it?

I find The State of the Art of Computer Animation to be pretty much up there in terms of representation; unlike the Dream Machine or the Mind's Eye series, it presents the shorts in their original, unedited form, with my sole gripe being all the end credits sequences cut out and bunched together at the very end of the disc. Unfortunately the later DADC pressing which I have screws up by not having any chapter stops encoded on it so I can't actually skip to any specific segment, which is a pretty big problem with a title like this one. It's both sides CLV but the chapter listing on the back of the sleeve still indicates CLV+CAV, so presumably the earlier pressing has the chapter stops properly coded on it.

There is quite a bit of duplicated content among them, especially with the more iconic shorts like Chromosaurus or Stanley & Stella/Breaking the Ice, the former being on three of the four titles I have.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 09:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I used to watch at least one laserdisc a week but these days I don't have as much time for watching films so it varies quite a lot now. I'll first decide what film I want to watch and that will lead me to the format. I'd say these days I watch laserdisc a couple of times a month.

benmbe wrote:

I've been really impressed with my Onkyo AV unit, it takes the composite input and upscales it (to whatever standard resolution you want, even 4K, or just pass through to HDMI) but it keeps the that nice analog look. I've used test cards to tune in the colours, contrast and brightness, turned off all frame smoothing and DNR and it looks gorgeous. The model I have is long out of production but if I was looking for a new one that's where I would start. The only down side is that it suffers from a common bug among digital upscalers in that it can black the screen out for a moment or two when the resolution changes which can sometimes cause a problem during side changes.

Another suggestion might be a newish device that's designed for gaming; the OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter). It's basically a new line doubler (and even tripler if you want). It seems to be very popular in the gaming community but I don't know how well it would work for LD. I use the Framemeister for gaming which I think uses the same upscaling chip as my Onkyo but the composite input on the device is pretty poor and it is solely designed for gaming so I wouldn't really recommend it for LD.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 09:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll put on music LDs most nights after work, on the weekend I'll watch a combination of DVDs and LDs. I'll get a deep satisfaction out of watching a movie on LD but setting it all up with the proper aspect ratio through my scaler is a process so movies are less common than music LDs or anime (which I can just leave on default 4:3).

I started watching my anime box sets raw on LD a few months ago. Half way through Macross the way it should be (I always thought the Animeigo DVD box was "restored" unnaturally) and enjoying it a lot. Have had a long break though because of moving. After Macross it's a Gundam UC rewatch, need to refresh my Japanese vocab though..when watching LD series I sometimes think it's too taxing on my players but my MDP-355GX is proving a workhorse single side player and hopefully it lasts until 0083, then I need a V-Gundam set..

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 14:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I always watched movies by downloading a DVD rip, but since building an elaborate CRT-based retrogaming setup, I've also started collecting LaserDiscs as a way of getting more use out of my TV. I try to watch a couple a week.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 19:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I watch 3-4 per week minimum.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 20:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For a while, not through choice, very few but over the last wee while spinning them much more again.

Over the last few months I have been going through my F1 LDs again & my son has enjoyed a few when they have been on when he has been in. So much F1 footage on LD & VHS issued in Japan but not issued elsewhere & so well presented.

Just received recently The Anderson Tapes & popped it on to check it was okay (a DADC US disc late 1996 release but only mild "rot" at the start of side 1 so quite lucky) & ended up watching it through - that happens quite often when I am checking out LDs.

Enloy spinning the big discs!!!

Cheers to all.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 21:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

takeshi666 wrote:
I find The State of the Art of Computer Animation to be pretty much up there in terms of representation; unlike the Dream Machine or the Mind's Eye series, it presents the shorts in their original, unedited form, with my sole gripe being all the end credits sequences cut out and bunched together at the very end of the disc. Unfortunately the later DADC pressing which I have screws up by not having any chapter stops encoded on it so I can't actually skip to any specific segment, which is a pretty big problem with a title like this one. It's both sides CLV but the chapter listing on the back of the sleeve still indicates CLV+CAV, so presumably the earlier pressing has the chapter stops properly coded on it.

There is quite a bit of duplicated content among them, especially with the more iconic shorts like Chromosaurus or Stanley & Stella/Breaking the Ice, the former being on three of the four titles I have.

Hmm. I have both the State of the Art Computer Animation and the Mind's Eye disc. Just haven't watched them yet. I'll have to give them a spin and see what they are like.
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 22:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

At least one per week, usually more. Far more than any other physical format!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 01:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
Title pretty much says it all.
I'll always have a collection of LDs and know I will always buy and sell a few from now until...

But how many still spin LDs on a regular basis.
I used to get at least 1 a week going but since my world is still crazy I haven't had time to get my full HT setup and
have only spun a few in my work room with a quick setup.

How about you??

Hi rein-o,

Yes, absolutely I still spin them on a very regular basis! If you have ever looked at my collection list, you will know why! You can't possibly have a collection like mine and never watch any of them. There's no way I could ever get tired of them. There's always something I come across that I haven't watched for years, and I truly enjoy going back and revisiting some of those whenever time permits. Therein lies the problem, however, as my work schedule and other aspects of daily life don't always allow me to spend as much time as I'd like with these treasures. As the group Sister Hazel said back in the early new millenium, "Life Got in the Way"! :thumbdown: By the way, I just had the pleasure of seeing them in concert about a week ago. It was a great show, and I was able to walk to it from my house! What's not to like about that? :thumbup: Back to the laserdisc collection, I'm planning to try to get a few more of them autographed over the weekend. An annual horror/sci-fi convention is coming to town, and there will be a number of stars there to meet and sign stuff. So that's how I'm planning to upgrade my collection even more during the next 3 days! I'm sure a great time will be had by all! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Long Live Laserdisc!

Best Regards,
David

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 03:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Once a week, easy. Quite often I play mutiple LDs per day for weeks on end. I use the format quite a lot actually. At the moment my 99 is down and my 604 is doing main duty and it does take a *bit* of my enthusiasm for LD down but not by much.

It’s easy when you like old anime and hate superhero stuff.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 06:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

To actually watch an entire movie right now w/ the variety of media available on other disc formats and streaming, I would say I probably spin an LD maybe once a month and sometimes less.

However, when I do pick up a new/used title (which has been happening more frequently as of late), it seems that I am spinning up my players at least two to three times a week to run a "laser rot" quick scan to ensure I have a good disc. The last movie I viewed from start to finish last month was Alien 3 because I wanted to watch this original cut and then view the "special assembly cut" I have on an HD file.

Last edited by ldfan on 15 Sep 2018, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

perhaps a couple times a year anymore. more often, a quick spinup just to keep my player's mechanics exercised a little.

just a few days ago, however, me and my sister did watch THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, the only copy of which i have is on LD;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andro ... rain_(film)

a childhood favorite, already nearly 20 years when i saw it the first time,
it is now around 50 years old, and still one of the best films ever made, IMO.

though my PIONEER CLD-3030 did indeed treat the film it quite well, it is about high time i picked up a Blu-Ray copy...

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 17:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I view a couple a week. Especially ones I just got (though those purchases are getting fewer and far between these days.)

Most recently was Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame in DTS.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 22:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

tasuke wrote:
...just a few days ago, however, me and my sister did watch THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, the only copy of which i have is on LD;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andro ... rain_(film)

Funny... 2nd time this movie has come up as a topic for me today. A co-worker mentioned his long ago visit & as a kid my family toured Universal studios & we got to watch them film part of that movie in their air sealed suits. Very cool. we couldn't wait for the movie to come out.
(The other movie they were filming outside was "Omega Man", but no action on the set at the time.) I might have to pick up a copy of each. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next