It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:13

Page 3 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Who is still spinning LDs on a regular basis
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 23:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't even need those kind of 'justifications' like "only on LD" to still really enjoy watching LD's; in spite of the limitations (not because of them!).

It's no secret that as you move up the ladder of equipment the improvements get smaller and smaller. If you're chasing some holy grail without keeping the law of diminishing returns in mind, more fool you. Like substance said the step from a 97 to an X0 is relatively small. A Lumagen will squeeze out that last little bit of PQ too, but it can't work miracles; LD is still an NTSC SD signal. Still when watching I'm often impressed how good this 40 year old tech can look despite all the factors against it (it can look pretty crap too).

Almost anything I watch on LD could be found on BD or UHD, but Friday night is always LaserDisc night. I'd say substance is correct that almost every reason I still enjoy watching them could be broadly placed under nostalgia. I think it would be fair to say too that he is primarily a film buff, LD is just a delivery method and there are now better options available. I've always been a big tech buff as a way to enjoy films and music. As tech, LD certainly holds a pretty important place in history as the progenitor of all modern optical disc formats, and there's one part of the reason I personally still enjoy them so much (see - nostalgia!).

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 16:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Around 2010 I had only 100 LDs & they had all been well watched. I suffered so many player failures since my first one in the early 90's I had all but given up on the format. ...but I still had those 100 or so discs I occasionally got the urge to watch.

A couple years ago I ran across a working Sony MDP-600 at a garage sale & that came with 30 or so discs. That player worked for a few months, but someone had broken off the end of a cable in the spdif, and finally the motor that lifts things into place became too weak to lift consistently... so then I found another player/collection on CL (cant even remember ?CLD-604?) but that one came with 150 discs, worked for a while, but then stopped. (I swear it's not me! :!: ) So, I left things lay for another 18 mos.

...but recently I found a DVL-700 on CL (of course - w/ a pile of discs), but no remote. Oddly (devine intervention? :roll:) The very next day I don't even know why but I took another look AND someone was also selling a DVL-700 (and remote!) (& a pile of discs). So finally, with 2 working players along with yet one more purchase of someone blowing out "over 300 LDs" I've spent the last couple weeks combining piles/sorting/entering into lddb and have ended up with around 650 (unique) discs. There's some really great movies & music in that pile. Things I'd never spend another penny on for DVD or BR like Ben Hur, Abyss, Kelly's Heroes, YES in concert, but... I'll surely be spinning them for as long as at least these 2 players last (what? like 18 mos? :silent:) & several small movies I'd never probably ever have heard of.

(Besides, I have a German Girl Friend who needs to be brought up to speed on American culture, so "Young Frankenstein" & "Paint your wagon" etc should prove helpful :lol:) Please wish me luck, I haven't had much of that!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018, 17:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Remav....

Did you try to have those broken players looked at when they were having issues? For the Sony you mentioned that could not lift what I assume was the tray, sounds like that could have been a simple belt issue.

All of these players that we own are hitting their senior years so it should be expected that problems are going to come up but most issues are usually not serious. I have owned a total of 13 players at various times and currently have 10 now that work fine (but eight of them have needed new belts). I only had two that were unrepairable (a Sony and Philips).

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 22:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
Remav....

Did you try to have those broken players looked at when they were having issues? For the Sony you mentioned that could not lift what I assume was the tray, sounds like that could have been a simple belt issue.

Well, my original Sony was taken in 4 times under warranty. Wouldn't track.
Sold to a friend (with full disclosure) after the 4th repair & user had no further problems :wtf:

The others mostly I always seemed able to replace for less than a repair bill.
My CLD-59 Elite was at a repair shop here for the last 2 years. I told him to keep it as long as Pioneer kept the part labeled as "back-ordered" & not "discontinued". I picked it up after buying the 2 700's last month. I actually pulled the current Sony apart & plan on having him replace the spdif. I have removed the board myself to keep the labor down, but still probably will be more $$ than I was able to buy the 2 recent DVL-700's for. ...so in answer to your question, "yes & no"

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 22:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

At least you tried. :thumbup: I think that is really important now in 2018 and beyond.

My original plan from about 20 years ago was to buy up as many players I could and cannibalize one or more of them when needed to fix another. However, seeing how LD players have become less and less available, I think my focus will now be to maintain the current 10 I have and if one goes down to find a dead unit to harvest parts from to keep them all running. I'll consider adding more players too if the opportunity arises and the price makes sense.

My Pioneer CLD-3030 did have some minor issues a few months back but they were minor enough where re-soldering (dimming display) and casting (had to fix a broken tab on a door w/ a plastic layering method for increased strength) were the remedies (I lucked out). It will get more difficult as time progresses but I'll take it one day @ a time.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 15:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I bought my X0 3 years ago and I am still spinning discs on a regular basis. True it does not look as good as Blu Ray ( I do have a MUSE capable player though and a few discs ( but the sound quality is phenomenal in many cases and I am also very interested in the more obscure discs. There are documentaries about trains on LD ( in Japan ) and other very intersting discs ( music LDs, documentaries, videos with background music, etc. ). I do not care it is not as sharp as a UHD. I love the fact that I can still play discs that were manufactured in 1982. My oldest disc is from Japan released in 1982 and it has zero rot to this day. If it wasnt for this site ( lddb.com ) I would have probably given up on LDs in the meantime but I still enjoy buying and collecting them. The picture quality is entirely sufficient to me. I do not need to watch a film in the best quality available. I still watch films, documentaries, etc. on LD and listen to music on vinyl to this day and I am convinced that I still will continue to do so for years and years to come. I love both formats very much.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 03:20 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I just got into laser discs a little bit ago and I'm loving it. I watch at least two to three movies a week if not more. What I really like is trying to find movies I haven't seen before from back in the day and I'm really enjoying catching up on once I had missed.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 09:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

eighties wrote:
I just got into laser discs a little bit ago and I'm loving it. I watch at least two to three movies a week if not more. What I really like is trying to find movies I haven't seen before from back in the day and I'm really enjoying catching up on once I had missed.

Yeah me too eighties. There's just too much new content now. I just focus on the past, then there's theoretically a limit. Music, video, everything. I basically don't look past 2001. The world was better before 2001. Also in 1985 Star Wars ended for me so I'm happy. Also in 1992 Macross ended. Good.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 18:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

oh, i dunno... i'd personally feel that MACROSS has plenty indeed to offer, post-1992. in any case, however, i Digress;

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 06:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Since reading this thread at origin I have been watching LD's more frequently........ Once a day sans hectic work schedule !
I will add, movies are not made like they used to be since format termination ! (and a bit before to be certain.....)

Just found a copy of "Lost Horizon" [SF070-6304] from Japan. A long lost Frank Capra film from circa 1937.
During restoration there are approx 15 minutes of the film that are missing with the soundtrack actually intact.
People over restoration just included "stills" of the cast as the dialogue rolled on. This anomaly does NOT take away from the experience that Capra creates .... One long strange trip to be sure !
One of my newest favorite films of all time on glorious Japanese LaserDisc .....

This gem has been released on BR with three alternate endings and deleted footage.
If you are down for a "Good "ole" Black and White classic ... This is the one ...

Check it out .....

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 09:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
oh, i dunno... i'd personally feel that MACROSS has plenty indeed to offer, post-1992. in any case, however, i Digress;

That's your perogative. But we're different fans Tasuke. I respect you but we have different tastes.

Hey I'm as much of fan of that cutie Mylene Jenius and Mikimoto's impressions of her as you probably are and the end of M7 actually had some interesting big picture connections to the original but the rest of the show is just too damned ridiculous.

I still have my Macross 7 animation materials artbook and won't get rid of it for the excellent Mikimoto illustrations thoughout.

But the mecha, and the feel, pacing and most of the characters are just shockingly bad. SDF Macross had some terrible animation but it also had incredible animation at times. M7 is just mediocre throughout. Not one combat scene that's noteworthy. To me that's inexcusable for a sequel to Macross that had some absolutely gorgeous dogfight and combat scenes.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2018, 20:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Trying to spin on a regular basis, but so far this year has been very busy for me. Winter is coming, so I hope to catch up with some of the discs I have acquired the last year. :)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 22:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
tasuke wrote:

That's your perogative. But we're different fans Tasuke. I respect you but we have different tastes.

Hey I'm as much of fan of that cutie Mylene Jenius and Mikimoto's impressions of her as you probably are and the end of M7 actually had some interesting big picture connections to the original but the rest of the show is just too damned ridiculous.

I still have my Macross 7 animation materials artbook and won't get rid of it for the excellent Mikimoto illustrations thoughout.

But the mecha, and the feel, pacing and most of the characters are just shockingly bad. SDF Macross had some terrible animation but it also had incredible animation at times. M7 is just mediocre throughout. Not one combat scene that's noteworthy. To me that's inexcusable for a sequel to Macross that had some absolutely gorgeous dogfight and combat scenes.

As I said sometime ago, if you’re lucky to live long enough you’ll get Macross 7. It’s the only good sequel to Macross. It’s not the same because...it would be stupid if it were the same. It’s the next level and you just aren’t really for it yet. I wasn’t either. It took me a decade to give it a fair shot and now I love Macross 7 especially Dynamite.

And don’t think didn’t hate it at one point. I’m sure there are still Usenet archives from 20+ years ago with me b**ching about it. It’s so incredibly dumb at times you can’t not make fun of it and the actual Macross 7 TV series is at least 12 episodes too long.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 01:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I hated it then (except for the Mylene credits) and I hate it now. I never change I guess.

Get back to me when they go back in time, put one decent dogfight in and get Itano and Ishiguro involved.

I was ready for Macross II and still have time (and the laserdiscs) for it and while it wasn't the perfect Macross sequel it was a lot better than Plus or 7. It actually had cool mecha, cool fights and a story that somewhat made sense. A couple of great songs too. Everything, including the songs thematically fitted Macross perfectly. I'm not a big fan of being different just for the sake of it. It's Macross, not Top Gun or Detroit Rock City in space..

So I subscribe totally to the pre-7, Big West canon, PC Engine games included. When I stated this on Macross World it got me banned for "trolling". No, I'm not trolling, pre-7 is the purest form of Macross and all I need.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 01:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

2 issues here.

1 I think that Lost Horizon is a classic that nobody will talk about like other Capra films.
My wife loves You Can't Take It With You and its a fun one to watch but Lost is a very daring movie but a very short book and I have that in my reading pile.

2 because of zeta I have picked up some other Macross series on DVD and need to watch them. One of them is the 7 movie and I am ready to watch it now and see how it will be.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 10:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Anyway Zeta, why do you suddenly like 7 now? For what reasons?

I think you might be drinking the "cool macross fan" coolaide over on Macrossworld?

I don't see Gundam fans demanding a different approach? Why do Macross fans condone the trash Kawamori has pulled out of his a** the last 25 years by saying "at least it's different"??? It's like they know it's not really Macross but they begrudgingly just go along with the crowd so they've got something to talk about? It's insane.

Don't drink the coolaide Zeta, go with your original instincts, M7 isn't Macross, it's a mediocre anime series about a rock band in space fighting space vampires.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 19:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Right on rein-o......
May have to read that book myself.....

Just spun up another Frank Capra film "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".
Nice role role for a then young John Stewart.
Funny how the Senate depicted in that old film has not changed all that much lol !
If you have not already viewed, one to experience for sure !
Capra had a real talent man.....

Thanks for the thread here......

Cheers to the membership !

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 23:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
2 issues here.

1 I think that Lost Horizon is a classic that nobody will talk about like other Capra films.
My wife loves You Can't Take It With You and its a fun one to watch but Lost is a very daring movie but a very short book and I have that in my reading pile.

2 because of zeta I have picked up some other Macross series on DVD and need to watch them. One of them is the 7 movie and I am ready to watch it now and see how it will be.

Oh man. The first Macross 7 thing I ever saw straight through was The Movie. I found it laughably stupid and it put me in forper’s state of mind for many years.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 23:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
Anyway Zeta, why do you suddenly like 7 now? For what reasons?

I think you might be drinking the "cool macross fan" coolaide over on Macrossworld?

I don't see Gundam fans demanding a different approach? Why do Macross fans condone the trash Kawamori has pulled out of his a** the last 25 years by saying "at least it's different"??? It's like they know it's not really Macross but they begrudgingly just go along with the crowd so they've got something to talk about? It's insane.

Don't drink the coolaide Zeta, go with your original instincts, M7 isn't Macross, it's a mediocre anime series about a rock band in space fighting space vampires.

There was nothing sudden about it. I think seeing Macross Zero and how bad it sucked is probably what made me think about what a real sequel would be like and I realized it was probably the (then about decade old) Macross 7 if it ever existed or ever would exist.

The thing with western culture is that...we say violence doesn’t solve anything, we tell kids that, but then we go and undermine that very idea by investing pretty much everything in violent problem solving “solutions” like the $1T F-35 or bigger guns for cops. Pacfism, if it’s to be good for anything, has to be a genuine pursuit. There is no half stepping. If Ghandi had fired one bullet we wouldn’t even know what his name was.

Macross 7 is about someone brave enough to do that. Yeah, Basara, but also Kawamori. It would have been *so easy* for him to just make stuff exactly like what you want, in the style of Gundam 0083 or whatever the hell Star Wars is. But what is the point of telling the story of a huge galactic war brought to a standstill by shared cultural understanding if you’re just going to do the same thing again? After WWI comes WWII, WWIII, etc forever as long as you can sell toys. Macross 7 is about someone willing to die for his belief in an alternative and after you get used to what a surpreme door knob he is you’ll see it too.

“Anybody can press a button and blow up a ship. Anybody can use an atom bomb. Anybody can pick up a big whip, and whip you. Anybody can stick a knife into you. Anybody can pull a trigger. But where's the man with the character, as can take a punch on the nose and keep his temper, keep control of himself?"

It’s Basara. And no, he doesn’t stay quiet until he zatoichis everyone in the bar to death. He never gives up on his one man mission to make the entire universe stop shooting and “listen to his song.” IIRC the only time he used conventional weapons was once, when he accidentally shot some missiles. Other than that he just sings and gets shot. Total commitment.

The last time I went to Macross world I found the place so repellent I never came back. I don’t think anyone there understands 7 either. It’s mainly white collectors comparing the size of their Destroid collections.

As for Gundam fans, they don’t maybe demand a “different approach” as you say but the difference between G Gundam, Unicorn Gundam, Build Fighters and 0083 is so massive it embarrasses every other anime. The stuff heavy on NT theory like Unicorn is actually closer to Macross 7 in many ways. Gundam is at least as hippie as Macross.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 00:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm just sick of the idol crap in Macross. It's pretty obvious that it's just become a vehicle for Kawamori to plug whatever musician he happens to like at the moment. At least the original utilized ALL of culture and not just singing. Plus I hate the whole idol culture in general.

Also what really drags Basara down is that he's such a dick towards his friends. I'd probably buy him as some sort of an ideologist better if he didn't come off as a self-centered twat so much of the time.

Page 3 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next