It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:48

Page 4 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Who is still spinning LDs on a regular basis
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 02:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I average one side of a disc per day. It provides a perfect stopping point so I don't stay up too late.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 03:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
2 issues here.

1 I think that Lost Horizon is a classic that nobody will talk about like other Capra films.
My wife loves You Can't Take It With You and its a fun one to watch but Lost is a very daring movie but a very short book and I have that in my reading pile.

2 because of zeta I have picked up some other Macross series on DVD and need to watch them. One of them is the 7 movie and I am ready to watch it now and see how it will be.

Oh man. The first Macross 7 thing I ever saw straight through was The Movie. I found it laughably stupid and it put me in forper’s state of mind for many years.

I'll keep an open mind about Macross 7.
I've been watching a lot of anime on DVD that I've picked up cheap, while its cool to look at the stories are very bland to say the least.

Watched Venus Wars and some other OVAs but just too much. VW looked amazing but the story was just so whatever, I thought it was a rip of Dallos.

C++ I knew you would be back :D

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 03:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

For better or worse, I'm here to stay. :angel:

In regards to playing LDs every day, I've recently started cleaning the labels of my (used) discs on first play with isopropyl alcohol in an attempt to stave off slippage issues since VEB-1237 has been discontinued.

I've been going through DADC discs lately so I can get rid of what ever is rotted. :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 03:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Careful with that, you will remove the ink on some older labels.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2018, 12:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

There was nothing sudden about it. I think seeing Macross Zero and how bad it sucked is probably what made me think about what a real sequel would be like and I realized it was probably the (then about decade old) Macross 7 if it ever existed or ever would exist.

The thing with western culture is that...we say violence doesn’t solve anything, we tell kids that, but then we go and undermine that very idea by investing pretty much everything in violent problem solving “solutions” like the $1T F-35 or bigger guns for cops. Pacfism, if it’s to be good for anything, has to be a genuine pursuit. There is no half stepping. If Ghandi had fired one bullet we wouldn’t even know what his name was.

Yeah you're right about that, PCism says violence isn't a solution but it clearly is. Violent criminals are usually stopped with guns obviously. Problem solved.

Quote:
Macross 7 is about someone brave enough to do that. Yeah, Basara, but also Kawamori. It would have been *so easy* for him to just make stuff exactly like what you want, in the style of Gundam 0083 or whatever the hell Star Wars is.

Gundam 0083 style would be a good direction. Trust me, nobody over 35 with any self respect wants the Star Wars sequels.

What I wanted was a fight to the centre of the universe to defeat the Zentraedi and find out who the Supervision Army and the Protoculture were. You know discover the creators of the universe. Even bigger space battles, Gunbuster proportions. Yep, planetary bombs, millions of spaceships. Then the Megaroad returns to Earth victorious. Mari Iijima could have reprised her role easily and a taken on the a Jamis Merin type character as new singers emerged. In between this we could have had more gritty war tales with VF-4s flying virtual suicide missions against impossible odds, I would have really liked to see an Armored Valkyrie boarding party...a fleet of UN Spacy Macross class vessels sent as reinforcements to support the Megaroad..See the effects of nuclear warheads on alien worlds..see the suffering like what happened to Earth, perhaps confront a transforming Supervision Army fortress in hand to hand combat somewhere in there. It could have been so epic...wasted..

Quote:
“Anybody can press a button and blow up a ship. Anybody can use an atom bomb. Anybody can pick up a big whip, and whip you. Anybody can stick a knife into you. Anybody can pull a trigger. But where's the man with the character, as can take a punch on the nose and keep his temper, keep control of himself?"

That's crap. Not anyone can outfly Miria and shoot down 10 Q-Raus, you need nerves and reflexes of steel. Ask Max.

Quote:
It’s Basara. And no, he doesn’t stay quiet until he zatoichis everyone in the bar to death. He never gives up on his one man mission to make the entire universe stop shooting and “listen to his song.” IIRC the only time he used conventional weapons was once, when he accidentally shot some missiles. Other than that he just sings and gets shot. Total commitment.

Okay good for him.

Quote:
The last time I went to Macross world I found the place so repellent I never came back. I don’t think anyone there understands 7 either. It’s mainly white collectors comparing the size of their Destroid collections.

What's their race got to do with anything? Oh yeah I forgot, in your world all whiteys are dumbasses, Japanese people are walking talking gods on earth..

Quote:
As for Gundam fans, they don’t maybe demand a “different approach” as you say but the difference between G Gundam, Unicorn Gundam, Build Fighters and 0083 is so massive it embarrasses every other anime. The stuff heavy on NT theory like Unicorn is actually closer to Macross 7 in many ways. Gundam is at least as hippie as Macross.
[/quote]

Okay UC Gundam then I mean. Man I'm so jealous of UC Gundam that it got so many very decent sequels

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 00:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Careful with that, you will remove the ink on some older labels.

Yep- I made this mistake when I first got into LDs when I was cleaning a particularly filthy disc. The Novus #1 spray sure does have a wide range...

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 04:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
I'm just sick of the idol crap in Macross. It's pretty obvious that it's just become a vehicle for Kawamori to plug whatever musician he happens to like at the moment. At least the original utilized ALL of culture and not just singing. Plus I hate the whole idol culture in general.

Also what really drags Basara down is that he's such a dick towards his friends. I'd probably buy him as some sort of an ideologist better if he didn't come off as a self-centered twat so much of the time.

Serious question, have you ever known a professional musician? Like, a good one? Many of them are like that. For every Steve Howe you have 1000 Axl Roses. He grew as the show went on. By Dynamite he had ditched all his friends completely, left Fire Bomber, and went acoustic so he could save space whales from a Zentradi version of Captain Ahab.

Just writing that sentence reminds me of how great Dynamite is. I think I’ll go watch it now.

BTW, the kid and I have been falling asleep to 2001 on LD every night this week so that’s 10 hours on the machine right sure.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 05:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
BTW, the kid and I have been falling asleep to 2001 on LD every night this week so that’s 10 hours on the machine right sure.

I can relate to this- I wish my player had a sleep timer.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 15:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I still regularly play Laserdisc for my entertainment on my CRT-TV. I try to collect significant Laserdisc releases (exclusives like The Keep, Song of the South, etc..., unique aspect ratio like Carrie, Pretty Baby, etc.. or color grading such as The Matrix or Luc Bessons's Grand Bleu) because I much prefer to watch a work close to the artist's will. Laserdisc is just a mean to attain that goal.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 22:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

Is it a CAV or CLV version that you are viewing?

In other words how long is it before you doze off?

2001: A Sleep Odyssey (for some).

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 03:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its a US CLV version so it runs about 2 hours. We haven't had the third side in a lot lately... :)

The 3 year old is into the music. I'll have to make a run to the local stores and find an LP of the OST.

EDIT: That wasn't correct, I forgot that we skip past the monkey stuff in the beginning usually.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 04:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

EDIT: That wasn't correct, I forgot that we skip past the monkey stuff in the beginning usually.

Oh man, that was the part I always loved as a kid, then I would pass out.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 02:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

cplusplus wrote:
rein-o wrote:

For better or worse, I'm here to stay. :angel:

In regards to playing LDs every day, I've recently started cleaning the labels of my (used) discs on first play with isopropyl alcohol in an attempt to stave off slippage issues since VEB-1237 has been discontinued.

I've been going through DADC discs lately so I can get rid of what ever is rotted. :cry:

I need to do this myself, my player goes from zero slippage to a decent amount depending on the disc, so i've been thinking about cleaning the labels. Any tips?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 03:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Clean the rubber first, and pretty much always.

Some of the glossy labels have that extra coating but the paper ones don't.

I wouldn't risk it on any disc but then again that's me.
A few years ago I bought a lot of discs and someone put little square tabs of rubber, I guess whoever had them had the slipping issue and just made it thicker on
each disc :crazy:

Luckily they came off easily but I would never do that.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 04:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As rein-o said, take care that you don't smear the ink on some labels. If it is glossy, you should be good most of the time (there have been exceptions for me). I take a q-tip with 90% isopropyl alcohol and simply swab the inner portion of the label. The q-tip should not be overly saturated so you don't have to worry about any alcohol seeping in.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 05:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks, I did clean the rubber a couple times to try and eliminate it entirely (since I also found the replacement unavailable). It works perfect on some discs now, but others not quite so much.
I was thinking maybe some sort of rubber restore product, but haven't put that thought into action.

Q Tips are a good idea, thanks. I might try something less strong then iso to start with, see how it goes. I'd probably cry a little if I messed up a label. I'll definitely make sure not to do the ones that aren't glossy.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 14:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

speedyink wrote:
Thanks, I did clean the rubber a couple times to try and eliminate it entirely (since I also found the replacement unavailable). It works perfect on some discs now, but others not quite so much.
I was thinking maybe some sort of rubber restore product, but haven't put that thought into action.

Q Tips are a good idea, thanks. I might try something less strong then iso to start with, see how it goes. I'd probably cry a little if I messed up a label. I'll definitely make sure not to do the ones that aren't glossy.

Since this is off topic now.

There is a topic about this where plasti-dip is used for the spindle rubber.

And in all reality you shouldn't bother with the disc or label if your disc is slipping, this is a player issue and should be fixed from that point.

You don't keep repairing the roads daily when you need new tires because they are slipping, do you :think:

Last edited by rein-o on 15 Oct 2018, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 15:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks, I'll look it up

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 18:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
2 issues here.

1 I think that Lost Horizon is a classic that nobody will talk about like other Capra films.
My wife loves You Can't Take It With You and its a fun one to watch but Lost is a very daring movie but a very short book and I have that in my reading pile.

2 because of zeta I have picked up some other Macross series on DVD and need to watch them. One of them is the 7 movie and I am ready to watch it now and see how it will be.

Oh man. The first Macross 7 thing I ever saw straight through was The Movie. I found it laughably stupid and it put me in forper’s state of mind for many years.

OK Only 4 minutes into it and I hate it, not because of the story but the style of animation is not my taste.
But I will sit through and watch, I've seen worse anime.

Edit: it was the galaxy is calling me 30min movie, fun and I guess I'll pickup the rest of the series to watch.
Nowhere near as good as the original Macross and there was a lot of singing......

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 21:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
2 issues here.

OK Only 4 minutes into it and I hate it, not because of the story but the style of animation is not my taste.
But I will sit through and watch, I've seen worse anime.

Edit: it was the galaxy is calling me 30min movie, fun and I guess I'll pickup the rest of the series to watch.
Nowhere near as good as the original Macross and there was a lot of singing......

Yeah. Power to the Dream, everyone. Power to the f-ing UNIVERSE!

Man that movie was dumb. It’s cool that it has Mylene’s jumbo sister in it. It’s closer to Dynamite than the TV series in some ways.

If you’re going to watch the rest you should know that the TV series, like so many TV series, is massively padded and overlong. I don’t remember Encore being worth anything but then I can’t remember what it was exactly. Dynamite was last and has the most impressive animation by far.

EDIT: I remember now. Encore was three episodes that didn’t make it on TV for whatever reason. The animation is basically the same as the TV series. One of them, Fleet of Strongest Women, was good but I don’t remember the others.

Page 4 of 5 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next