It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:09

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: non-USA with English-audio (NTSC)
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 21:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello,

I am looking for movies and television shows on NTSC laserdisc that were not released in the USA but have English-audio. I am looking for exclusive titles, not exclusive versions. For example, "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" was only released in Japan but has English-audio; it's the type of laserdisc that I am looking for. Or for example, "Westworld" in P&S/Ana was only released in Japan but there is a USA release, just not that version; it's not the type of laserdisc that I am looking for.

I tried the search function and although it has a wide-array of filters, I could not find a combination that works for this search. I have also tried searching the forum but did not find a similar thread.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: non-USA with English-audio (NTSC)
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 21:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well for your luck the only NTSC stuff would be from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and a very few others.

You really need to figure out the title and then pickup the title that way.

For example there is an English audio widescreen release of Westworld Westworld (1973) [G128F5530]

Your best bet is to search by country of release and then language, i.e. Japan with English audio.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 22:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
Well for your luck the only NTSC stuff would be from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and a very few others.

You really need to figure out the title and then pickup the title that way.

No, I am browsing for new titles in English. I don't see anything wrong with that. When I am in Japan, I would like to find titles that are in English but it's often difficult to tell from the label. I also do not want to buy something with sub-titles when I can buy the USA version without, if it exists.

rein-o wrote:
For example there is an English audio widescreen release of Westworld Westworld (1973) [G128F5530]

Perhaps, I was unclear. I am not interested in any non-USA titles of "Westworld" because a USA version exists. The same can be said for other non-USA titles if a USA version exists.

rein-o wrote:
Your best bet is to search by country of release and then language, i.e. Japan with English audio.

I tried that. Unfortunately, a search like that is ineffective. It will show foreign releases with English audio but not exclude ones that are also available in the USA. I don't think there is a filter for bilingual, either.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There’s never going to be a filter setting for this because “unreleased” is much too fuzzy of a term for a filter setting. It has to be something verifiably true, like having Digital Sound or being 12”, without doing a lot of research and constantly updating as new info comes to light (see: the genuinely never ending conversations about aspect ratio and whatever “uncut” is). If the setting did exist then it wouldn’t be trustworthy and nobody needs that. The DB needs to be accurate more than it needs to be bigger.

I see what you are saying. You’re looking for what useful foreign versions of American and British movies. As Rein-O said, you have to be a fan of something first and then check on a case by case basis. Let's Get Lost (1988) [C59-6291] is an American movie %100 but never gets release here for some reason so the JP LD is the only LD (although there is a UK DVD). The Max Headroom TV series is a big one, same for quite a few classic TV series I’m pretty sure.

There is a thread here for “significant” LDs, you may find some good ones in there.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Max Headroom didn't even get a full release did it?

The Robocop TV series and the TekWar TV movies also only got released in Japan and Taiwan respectively, and again were not full releases.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 04:33 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
There’s never going to be a filter setting for this because “unreleased” is much too fuzzy of a term for a filter setting.

Of course. My original post was not meant as a complaint about the search filters. And I certainly was not expecting someone to point me to a definitive list that has already been compiled. Instead, it was a call to the community to make suggestions for discs that they already know. That's one of the purposes of the forum, right?

signofzeta wrote:
I see what you are saying. You’re looking for what useful foreign versions of American and British movies.

Yes.

signofzeta wrote:
As Rein-O said, you have to be a fan of something first and then check on a case by case basis.

That's not true. That's like saying you must know exactly what you are looking for before you enter a store to go shopping.

All I am looking for is people in the laserdisc community to make suggestions of discs that meet my criteria.

signofzeta wrote:
Let's Get Lost (1988) [C59-6291] is an American movie %100 but never gets release here for some reason so the JP LD is the only LD (although there is a UK DVD). The Max Headroom TV series is a big one, same for quite a few classic TV series I’m pretty sure.

You see? You are already doing it. Thank you, keep up the good work!

signofzeta wrote:
There is a thread here for “significant” LDs, you may find some good ones in there.

I've already reviewed that thread. It's mostly made up of not the criteria that I'm searching for. I did not want to de-rail that thread for my own purposes.

takeshi666 wrote:
Max Headroom didn't even get a full release did it?

The Robocop TV series and the TekWar TV movies also only got released in Japan and Taiwan respectively, and again were not full releases.

Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 17:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Some that comes to my mind are
Rocktober blood
The evictors
waitress
American ninja
Air wolf 1-2-3
Coming soon
The cell
Rampage
Full moon high
Get crazy
Night gallery
Knight rider 1-2
Vibes
Zero boys
And many many more

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 20:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Max Headroom (RCA - First Season (6 episodes))
Lucas (Fox)
Night Crossing (Disney)
Song of the South (Disney)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 22:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I was thinking I could compile a list for everyone to reference if we get enough suggestions. If even half of the views could suggest a couple, we would have a great start!

I stumbled on these kinds of laserdiscs quite by accident. I got a box of foreign discs, most of which were not in English so unwatchable for me. One was an old sci-fi movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". To my surprise, the audio was English. As I watched, it quickly became apparent that this was not an English-dubbed movie. The subtitles were a little annoying but it was still watchable and a great movie, too! Afterwards, a little internet research and I discovered that there is a USA version without the annoying subtitles.

Another disc was "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace". My laserdisc player came with the Star Wars trilogy but this was a different movie, of course. Again, English audio with subtitles. To my surprise, this movie was not available from the USA without subtitles. Still, I began to wonder if there were other foreign titles like this available on laserdisc that had not been released in the USA.

One of my favorites has been "The X-Files". I had seen some episodes of the show's revival but never really saw the original show. It's not on re-runs here, either. I enjoyed watching some of the USA laserdiscs but discovered that the releases were out-of-order and incomplete. For example, the second disc of the third season should be the episodes "Clyde Bruckman" and "DPO" but there is a different episode than DPO. I started looking at the Japan releases and tracked down the DPO episode; it's great! It stars Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black. I can't figure out why they skipped it.

Another one of my favorites is the sci-fi movie, "Hard to be a God". This is a Japan-only release of a German-Russian film. It has English-audio with subtitles. I really enjoyed it.

I decided I would try looking for other non-USA English-audio laserdiscs. But where to look? So I ended up here. If you have some laserdiscs that meet this criteria, please post.

Thank you!

giannis wrote:
Some that comes to my mind are
Rocktober blood
The evictors
waitress
American ninja
Air wolf 1-2-3
Coming soon
The cell
Rampage
Full moon high
Get crazy
Night gallery
Knight rider 1-2
Vibes
Zero boys
And many many more

blam1 wrote:
Max Headroom (RCA - First Season (6 episodes))
Lucas (Fox)
Night Crossing (Disney)
Song of the South (Disney)

Excellent, thank you! I have only seen one of these movies, "Vibes", which I saw in re-runs on televison last year. It was mentioned on "Psych" one time so I decided to watch it. Great cast with Jeff Goldblum, Peter Falk, Julian Sands, and Cyndi Lauper, as I recall. Not a great story but it was still mildly entertaining. If I see it in Japan, I may pick it up! :D

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 15:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I love Vibes.

The Day The Earth Stood Still is one of the most famous SciFi movies ever and so is Phantom Menace (for less fortunate reasons). I think you just need LDs/movies period, build up a film education, that way you can answer these questions yourself. “I sure would like a copy of Transformers: The Movie on LD. Oh look, it came out but only in Japan.” That’s usually how it works, not “I’m going to be in front a pile of JP LDs soon, tell me which ones to care about.”

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 16:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah. Buy the titles because you want them, not because they fall under some specific category that has nothing to do with the actual contents of the disc.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 15:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
I love Vibes.

The Day The Earth Stood Still is one of the most famous SciFi movies ever and so is Phantom Menace (for less fortunate reasons). I think you just need LDs/movies period, build up a film education, that way you can answer these questions yourself. “I sure would like a copy of Transformers: The Movie on LD. Oh look, it came out but only in Japan.” That’s usually how it works, not “I’m going to be in front a pile of JP LDs soon, tell me which ones to care about.”

Perhaps it was unclear to you from the original post but this is not an opinion poll. I clearly stated, "I am looking for..." and not "Should I be looking for...?" And yet, when you did not seem to understand, I took the time to explain my motives. I do not understand why this bothers you so please extend me the same courtesy.

No one is forcing you to participate. If it bothers you, stop doing it.

takeshi666 wrote:
Yeah. Buy the titles because you want them, not because they fall under some specific category that has nothing to do with the actual contents of the disc.

I never said that I intend to buy every non-USA English-audio laserdisc that I find. In fact, out of the dozen titles suggested so far, I have expressed interest in buying only one. But I appreciate all of the suggestions because I did not even know of them before. I like movies and television. If I see or hear of a laserdisc that I might be interested in then I may choose to also buy and watch it. But I do not want a disc in a language that I do not understand. I do not want a disc that has subtitles when I could buy it without. I thought others might like the same information.

Furthermore, which laserdiscs I choose to buy is my own business. I would have thought a laserdisc collector would understand this because many people would question the idea of buying a defunct format.

-----

If either of you have titles to suggest that meet the thread criteria or comments about a title that is suggested, that's fine. Otherwise, please stop trying to de-rail this thread. Thank you.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 20:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tombstone13 wrote:
Please do not post off-topic again. Thank you.

My collection is now at 309. Been trying to keep it at around 200-250 so a little more tightening up to do :thumbup:

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 21:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have to ask, why do you want suggestions of this type? If you don’t know or like or care about the movies why would you buy them? Is it just for curiosity or do you plan on a trip to Hard Off soon so you can stock up on a movie library that you will eventually enjoy once you’ve had time? Do you plan to do some flipping? What movies do you like? Directors and actors and such. These may seem like off topic questions to you but humans call them “conversation” and you’d be surprised at how much more data you can collect from conversations than you do from telling people to shut up with the snark and unearned air of superiority of an off-brand Lucy van Pelt.

A good resource may be Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant which isn’t a thread or a filter setting %100 devoted to exactly what you want but maybe you can flex your anthropology skills a bit and still find something there that fits.

Btw, there is another thread somewhere for JP release of anime that contain some kind of English translation and that seems like would qualify if you enjoy anime. The Ghibli box set has several dubs in it that were never sold in the US.

Last edited by signofzeta on 30 Oct 2018, 21:22, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 00:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Here's a title.
Don't know if it fits your criteria Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) [FY528-24MA]

This is a fun one too: Goodbye New York (1984) [VL5105]

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 01:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

tombstone13 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for movies and television shows on NTSC laserdisc that were not released in the USA but have English-audio. I am looking for exclusive titles, not exclusive versions. For example, "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" was only released in Japan but has English-audio; it's the type of laserdisc that I am looking for. Or for example, "Westworld" in P&S/Ana was only released in Japan but there is a USA release, just not that version; it's not the type of laserdisc that I am looking for.

I tried the search function and although it has a wide-array of filters, I could not find a combination that works for this search. I have also tried searching the forum but did not find a similar thread.

Thank you.

Hi tombstone13,

I think I should step in here as a voice of reason, before this thread deteriorates further into all-out mean-spirited nastiness. The titles suggested by others already are good ones. There are numerous others I could suggest, but I will refrain from doing so, as I don't know exactly what types of films or programs are to your liking. I believe I have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for. I think you are hoping for some sort of list that you can peruse to find a full assortment of what was available. The answer is that there is probably nothing here that provides as complete a solution as what you are hoping to find. Please keep in mind that the database is far from complete, but it is certainly the best resource available for collectors, and it is getting better all the time. However, if I may, I would like to offer what I think may be close to what you are looking for. I'll start by saying that rein-o was correct in the countries he stated that you should focus your attention on. I would add Taiwan and Malaysia to those which he named. I had wondered about this not long ago, and played around with it myself when I had some time to spare. You see, the whole key is indeed in using the advanced search functions that Julien has built into the site. On the advanced search screen, you will have to specify not only the country, and English as the "Main Language", but also use the "Infos Contains" line. On that line, for example, type in <p><b>Hong Kong</b> only release. You have to type it in exactly as I specified, including the characters in brackets. If you do this, you will find 350 titles that fit the criteria of what you are looking for, i.e. titles which were only released in Hong Kong, but have English as the "Main Language". You can then substitute the other country names for Hong Kong in the example I gave, and you will find many others. I just tried this a few minutes ago, and it seems to work for all of them. By my count, this will lead you to 259 titles from Japan, 239 from Taiwan, 39 from China, 12 from Singapore, and 3 from Malaysia! I should mention that for China you will have to not specify English for the "Main Language", in order to see all 39 of those titles. You see, most of the titles from China are bilingual, and most of them have Mandarin as the "Main Language" on the digital tracks, but have English as the second language on the analog tracks. By using this method, what you are doing is an advanced search including the text in the "additional information"/comments area at the bottom of the individual release pages of the database. I have done my very best to flag all releases which have no U.S. equivalent as I have acquired copies of them and submitted them to be added to the database. It seems that a practical application for this has now been found! Please try using this method, and see if you are able to locate title you might have interest in this way. I hope this proves useful to you!

Best Regards,
David :wave:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 04:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

A lot of horror titles meet this criteria

Murder Rock (Dancing Death) (1984) [LILD0021]
Deadly Spawn, The (1983) [DLZ-0109]
Supernaturals, The (1986) [EHL-1095]
Two Thousand Maniacs! (2000 Maniacs) (1964) [NDH-006]
Season of the Witch: George A. Romero's (1972) [LVB-1016]

as well as other genres

Get Crazy (1983) [EHL-1024]

None of those English language movies have a US release.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 23:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
don’t read it please, OP. It’ll drive you nuts.

That was not nice.

signofzeta wrote:
I have to ask, why do you want suggestions of this type?

I have already answered these questions with the exception of "flipping", which I take to mean re-selling. I have never sold a laserdisc in my life. I don't even have a shop here.

signofzeta wrote:
These may seem like off topic questions to you but humans call them “conversation” and you’d be surprised at how much more data you can collect from conversations than you do from telling people to shut up with the snark and unearned air of superiority of an off-brand Lucy van Pelt.

Again, not nice. And you mis-represent me. I tried responding to several comments which kept saying that I did not know what I want. I have no wish to continue in a thread of arguments. I politely asked to stay on topic after that. I have never told anyone to "shut up". I actually thanked everyone that responded, both in narrative and with the "thumbs up" button, including you.

signofzeta wrote:
A good resource may be Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant which isn’t a thread or a filter setting %100 devoted to exactly what you want but maybe you can flex your anthropology skills a bit and still find something there that fits.

Btw, there is another thread somewhere for JP release of anime that contain some kind of English translation and that seems like would qualify if you enjoy anime. The Ghibli box set has several dubs in it that were never sold in the US.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Just because you have been registered here longer, it does not give you permission to insult someone that is new. I hope you will be nice to the next new person to the forum.

I wish you well.

rein-o wrote:
Here's a title.

Never heard of that movie, looks interesting, thank you.

rein-o wrote:

I do not know if you do not understand or are just joking. You have provide a link to a movie that is a USA release. In fact, it looks like it was only released in the USA. All the same, thank you for the suggestions.

laserking wrote:
I think you are hoping for some sort of list that you can peruse to find a full assortment of what was available. The answer is that there is probably nothing here that provides as complete a solution as what you are hoping to find.

Sort of, it was never meant as a complaint about the database or search functions, as I've previously stated. I was hoping to create a list here with suggestions from discs that others know.

laserking wrote:
the whole key is indeed in using the advanced search functions

Thank you for the advice. I have tried searching that field before using stuff like "Japan only" which provided some results but was incomplete. Only one of the discs that I already own showed in the results. Your search criteria does return better results than mine but still misses those discs (and possibly others).

Thank you for your reply!

elahrairrah wrote:

Great, thank you!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 00:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tombstone13 wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Here's a title.

Never heard of that movie, looks interesting, thank you.

rein-o wrote:

I do not know if you do not understand or are just joking. You have provide a link to a movie that is a USA release. In fact, it looks like it was only released in the USA. All the same, thank you for the suggestions.
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was a very expensive title at the time but last copy I've seen for around 20 bucks? It was awhile ago.

As for the other one, it meets your criteria with everything other than the release in Japan.
Just giving you some more options rather than to keep it a limited range of fun titles.
Goodbye New York actually hasn't been released on DVD or Bluray as of yet.

But again, its easiest to figure out the title you want and then search from there.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 02:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hi tombstone13,

Just out of curiosity, which are the titles that you own that are not showing up if you search using the method I described? If they are in fact titles which were not released in the U.S., they must not be properly flagged as such in the miscellaneous info/comments space on their individual LDDb listing pages. They need to be updated to reflect this, and then they will turn up when you do the search. If you could provide these titles, I will be happy to do updates to the LDDb pages.

Best Regards,
David

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next