It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:50

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-959] Not Playing Disc
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 12:24 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi There,

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice about what may be wrong with a CLD-959 that I picked up on Yahoo Auction recently. I actually picked up two players of the same model - one works perfectly (so far) but the other does not. They were both "cheap", although by the time I imported them into the U.K. they were not so cheap anymore (my first mistake).

The second player will turn on and I can see the "Laser Disc Stop" on screen. I can also eject the tray and put a disc in. I press play (and see the "Laser Disc Play" on screen) - the player then appears to recognise the disc and spins up but it never actually starts playing. I have tried a couple of discs - they both play fine in the first player.

I tried opening the player up to see if I could see anything obvious but to be honest there was so much stuff in there and it was so densely packed that I wasn't really sure where to look.

I think I have been a little naive in this whole endeavour and overestimated my ability to figure out what was wrong. I appreciate there may be a million things wrong with the player but if there are a couple of obvious possibilities I would appreciate any advice.

Failing that if anyone knows somewhere I could take the player either in Northern Ireland (or I guess the Republic) to get it looked at then I would happy to do that.

To be honest I probably should have left both of these players in Japan and just stuck with the the CLD-D925 that I have but I had read such good things about the CLD-959 that I thought it was worth the punt. I guess getting one working player shipped from the other side of the world isn't bad and if I have to write off the second it isn't the end of the world but if I can get the other working having an additional spare would be good.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Post subject: Re: CLD-959 Not Playing Disc
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 04:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't know how much CLD-959 costed to you, but if you have one model working good, then you have one of the best player of the world in working condition.
Most of people out of Japan trying to import players get their player injured. Then you had some luck !
Could you give a link to the yahoo auction page where you get the not working player ? Maybe the problem where explainedin japanese ?
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 12:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The working player was 10,000¥ and the non working one 5,000¥ but by the time shipping and customs were included it was roughly £250-300 for each player. No remote controls unfortunately but cosmetically they are actually in pretty good shape.

The link to the broken one is https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o248171841.

I tried the player again last night and it is definitely spinning up - it sounds like the laser is trying to locate the start of the disk i.e. I hear the same motor noise repeatedly until it gives up. I am not sure it is the laser motor but that is my best guess.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 14:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's not a so bad price.
Living in Japan, mine costed 20.000 yens with sending fees. + 17.000 of repair service from Pioneer.

About your problem, the yahoo ads says :
通電ジャンク
It means : "energized problem". Don't know what is it exaclty...
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 02:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mragi wrote:
The working player was 10,000¥ and the non working one 5,000¥ but by the time shipping and customs were included it was roughly £250-300 for each player. No remote controls unfortunately but cosmetically they are actually in pretty good shape.

For that price, it was still worth getting in IMHO.

Definitely keep it around. I'm sure someone will eventually have an idea of what is wrong. However, you'll still need to open it up to see for yourself and make some observations on what might be wrong. It could still be something simple like maybe a ribbon cable that might need re-seating.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 15:10 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I took the player apart a bit more today but still couldn't see anything really wrong. There weren't any obvious unseated cables etc.

I have taken some photos and videos and placed them on Dropbox if anyone feels like taking a look: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8fdmw9cn7ofom3/AADRskqYIxhTwdFj2zzAmzQra?dl=0.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 23:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

did you try to play a normal CD ?
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 21:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Keep the player, that's for sure! If this isn't a minor issue that can be fixed, there are definitely parts here for your working player.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 22:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

mimylovesjapan wrote:
did you try to play a normal CD ?

I had to ask my mother in law for a CD but I was finally able to try this tonight and it appears to be reading it normally.

It detects the disc as a CD and then when I press play it then starts counting up the seconds as it should.

I am guessing that if it is managing to do this then the laser must be okay and the issue is elsewhere?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 23:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

great ! then the lens is working ! This is a first step !
Did you try to connect the player to the TV to see if it displays anything ? Like a blue screen. Or "open", "close"...

edit : you may have the response of your problem here :
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8053

about a player not loading disc, blam1 said :
I think the drawer issue is the loading belt. You can try a CD or an 8" LD in the player to see of these play. These discs are light enough to not typically be effected by spindle slip. If either of these discs play, then you're looking at the spindle rubber mat. If they don't play, you will likely have a more serious problem, including alignment issues or even a faulty pickup. When you have the bonnet off, could you see the pickup move back and forth when the tray is closed without a disc?

ldfan also advices :
"When players have oddball issues like not spinning up discs (but can identify them), have loading / unloading issues, doesn't go to Side B (on an auto reverse player), etc.; the issues are going to be a stretched loading belt about 80% to 90% of the time.
To test the theory that it is the belt, you can clean it with alcohol to remove possible contaminates (residual grease or just dirt) and see if the issue "improves". If it makes a slight difference, then one can assume the belt is the main culprit and ordering a new belt will fix the issue.
Other issues like the player having a whiny noise, taking forever to eject a disc (because the player is waiting for the disc to stop spinning), etc.; is usually indicative of a dirty disc clamper that can usually be cleaned w/ alcohol but in some cases may need the rubber mat on it replaced (or recoated).
So those are the first steps, IMHO, to take whenever one acquires a player that has a history of moderate use. ;) (If it's a player that has been used a lot and abused, could be all those things I mentioned and a whole lot more.)"
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 03:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

After reading more of the replies, I think it's the loading belt. :)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 09:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I tired playing the CD again this morning - this time I actually connected it to a speaker. It definitely plays but there is a lot of hiss (as if it were a cassette or something). I tried the disc on my Blu-Ray player afterwards and the hiss was still there (but not as noticeable) so perhaps it is just a duff live recording.

**edit**: I did a comparison with the other CLD-959 using the same speaker and there is definitely more "hiss" from this one. So there is definitely an issue there as well =(

I will definitely give the cleaning of the belt a try but I have a couple of questions? How do I identify the belt (and/or disc clamper rubber mat) and also what kind of alcohol do I need to get hold of?

Also, if I were to try and purchase a replacement belt does anyone know the part number?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 17:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Try another CD that is not live that you know has great sound.

Why test with a CD that is live and has audio imperfections and won't ever sound perfect?

CDs are so cheap you can get one for a single dollar of a decent recording just to test.
Get Milli Vanilli or something.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 17:08 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Try another CD that is not live that you know has great sound.

Why test with a CD that is live and has audio imperfections and won't ever sound perfect?

I didn't know the CD wasn't great until I played it. I actually don't have any CD's anymore (I am not much of a music fan so streaming is enough for me) - we sold all those we did have off when we moved to a different part of the country. Next time I visit my mother-in-law I will ask for another one - failing that I will buy one ;)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 11:17 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So I tried another CD - this time a studio album and there is very clear distortion on the sound (where as it sounds normal from the other CLD-959 and my BluRay player).

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 16:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mragi wrote:
So I tried another CD - this time a studio album and there is very clear distortion on the sound (where as it sounds normal from the other CLD-959 and my BluRay player).

Sounds like the laser is getting weak, if you open up the player on the top middle (of the laser carriage) there is a pot labeled "RF Level", you want to make a note of its current position first off. With a CD playing (literally while its playing and you can hear it) you want to try and turn that RF Level up until the sound is clear and if this works leave the RF Level to where the sound is clear then see if it will play an LD. If this works you can leave the RF Level up and use but realize the laser pickup is getting weak and will need to be replaced. If this does not help just put the RF Level back where you found it and then at least you have ruled out the laser as a problem.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 11:29 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Well I think I made it worse =(

I cleaned the lens just to see if that would help first but since then it will still detect the type of disc but it won't even play a CD (even with the distortion).

I am guessing I really need the service manual to be able to confidently take the machine apart, although I guess at this point I have nothing to loose by just disassembling it. I am just not sure I would be able to put it back together again. Oh well.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 13:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mragi wrote:
Well I think I made it worse =(

I cleaned the lens just to see if that would help first but since then it will still detect the type of disc but it won't even play a CD (even with the distortion).

I am guessing I really need the service manual to be able to confidently take the machine apart, although I guess at this point I have nothing to loose by just disassembling it. I am just not sure I would be able to put it back together again. Oh well.

You don't have to take it apart to test the RF Level, just pop the cover off and its right there (its shown clearly in one the pictures you posted so you were right there).

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 14:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I hope you didn't use alcohol to clean the lens... LD lens use a blue coat that should be remove. Alcohol is removing it.
Use a special lens cleaning solution.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 14:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

mimylovesjapan wrote:
I hope you didn't use alcohol to clean the lens... LD lens use a blue coat that should be remove. Alcohol is removing it.
Use a special lens cleaning solution.

I used surgical spirit (which is a type of ethanol) so that is probably wrecked it then. This is what I get for being a total newbie at this. I guess it is totally wrecked now?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next