It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:19

Page 6 of 7 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 22:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I received some discs from Japan this week. They are:

Dolby Digital Sample Disc

Virtual Drug: Flower+Wave

The Godfather 7 Disc Collectors Set + Book

Virtual Drug: Orchid Illusion

Patlabor 2 (AC-3 Version)

Star Wars Trilogy: Definitive Collection

Wings of Honneamise (Memorial Box)

I'm very happy with these. Even if the shipping cost absolutely crippled me (I got something else very heavy with this parcel, but I am keeping it secret for a special blog entry in the near future!).

I do now have (what I think is) a complete set of Virtual Drug laserdiscs and 3D refractive glasses. VERY HAPPY! :D

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 23:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I didn’t know there was an AC-3 ver of Patlabor 2. Presumably something is missing from the package there, an obi or some kind of velum or whatever. Bandai packaging was getting even more deluxe in some ways near the end (ie: Macross Plus Movie, Macross Dynamite 7, 08th MS Team Miller’s Report, etc).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 11:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The first Patlabor film has an AC-3 release too. I couldn't find a copy for sale or auction unfortunately. I would like to get it in the future though. I'm not sure if my disc is missing the obi strip (I haven't had a moment to take the discs out etc to look at them), and I do like to have my obi strips complete when possible!

To be honest though, as much as I love Patlabor, this was more an exercise of having something nice to watch and test my AC-3 demodulator really. I originally bought Kingpin to test it with, but the person that sold it to me never packed the disc properly and the disc literally arrived split in half during shipping when I took it out of the slipcase.

I would love a nice Patlabor box set with the AC-3 tracks on them but I don't think one exists, just the single releases. Macross would be lovely too, but I have to steer myself away from the temptation of all of the lovely, beautiful Laserdiscs (especially the big box sets) or I'd be in financial ruin! I try to stick to my #1 rule for Laserdiscs which is:

If the Laserdisc you are looking at is available on DVD or better then don't buy it unless a longer/different print is available on Laserdisc only.

I have been known to deviate/ignore/forget (delete as applicable) that rule on some occasions though! :angel:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 17:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
I would love a nice Patlabor box set with the AC-3 tracks on them but I don't think one exists, just the single releases. Macross would be lovely too, but I have to steer myself away from the temptation of all of the lovely, beautiful Laserdiscs (especially the big box sets) or I'd be in financial ruin! I try to stick to my #1 rule for Laserdiscs which is:

If the Laserdisc you are looking at is available on DVD or better then don't buy it unless a longer/different print is available on Laserdisc only.

I have been known to deviate/ignore/forget (delete as applicable) that rule on some occasions though! :angel:

This is what I've been doing too, but there are cases where films like Macross are different and theatrical on LD and not on Bluray.
There could be a DVD release of it?? I don't know.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 21:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think there is a second DYRL BR, and if there is I know nothing of it, but the first one was censored for violence. Basically all the cuts that looked like they were done by someone who moonlighted on Megazone and forgot to punch out are slightly blurred or whatever. I think it’s wierd they did this but then those scenes have always stood out to me as not belonging at all anyway. I’m torn. I really like the honest to goodness mostly unrestored clarity of the transfer in general and the box is rad as hell. Even has a PS3 game on the disc.

There is an AC-3 Memorial Sound edition of The Royal Space Force. That thing is terrific. One of my favorite 5.1 soundtracks, really. It ignores a lot of the standards of 5.1, does its own thing with dialogue and music instead of following the rigid Hollywood norm of music always in L/R, dialogue always in C, etc. It also doesn’t have the weird overscan awareness of the first one. I prefer the first one for packaging though.

Publius seems gone for good so maybe I should do a post about the five different JP LD versions of RSF since I have four of them.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 00:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
so maybe I should do a post about the five different JP LD versions of RSF since I have four of them.

If you have them that would be great, I would love to see what they all are :thumbup:

As for DYRL yes, its the bluray, I don't know about any other pressings on blu that may be different and it sure is cool with the game and all
but I'll stick with my LD box as the image is good enough for me.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 02:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

For actual watching I pretty much prefer either the Perfect version or the CLV version of the Perfect edit that came out the following year. It’s rare I watch that movie and don’t end up down the still frame rabbit hole so it being in CAV is usually more important than anything when it comes to DYRL.

Btw, so much Pioneer stuff has been breaking around here lately that I’m running a 503. A player with no frame memory! It’s been a while. CLV scanning sucks on older players, I’m now remembering. The true analog image though...once I’ve messed with that Digital Reality Creation stuff on my XBR960 looks...can I say better than my 99? Somehow I think it is.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 10:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The DYRL Perfect CAV box was my first ever LD purchase way back in 2001. It's still the best way to watch DYRL. I have the remastered Japan DVD box which is worth it for the extras disc and reprinting most of the Gold Book but the image? It has both the remastered and original but the LD still wins imo. Just no chance of those jaggies like there is with DVD, and the colours just seem perfect on LD through CRT. I get that feeling often with LD, that there is no better way to watch this film at home than this way. And that makes me happy.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 12:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Laserdisc aside, what actually is the best version of Macross Do You Remember Love? The remastered Blu Ray?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 14:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The BD is great, and if you need English subs there is a good fansub out there.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 21:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Laserdisc aside, what actually is the best version of Macross Do You Remember Love? The remastered Blu Ray?

The remastered DVD actually has too much grain. It looks artificial.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 21:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
DYRL BR, censored for violence. I think it’s wierd they did this but then those scenes have always stood out to me as not belonging at all anyway.

You really have become pretty laid back for a hardcore fan.

It's unforgivable to remove those scenes. Changing history.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 22:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Any true or real artist must walk away from their works and not mess with it.
Its always done but shouldn't be done.

Just walk away people, just walk away.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 03:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t argue with that at all. I guess since I always wished those cuts weren’t so extreme so I wasn’t bothered personally. I’m more bothered by the edits being obvious. Also I don’t really have a problem with f-ed versions of things when the original is right there on my shelf.

The absolute weirdest redux lately IMO was Yes going back to Fly From Here and replacing all the volcals. I read their explanation but it doesn’t add up. That’s a weird extreme thing to do. Like something Gene Simmons would do. That they did it with a record from 2011 that even a lot of Yes fans don’t know is wierd too. I happen to be a big fan of that record already and now they have this new one which is...better, I have to say, but why the hell did they do it? Wierd. It doesn’t bother me that much because I have both but it’s still f***ed and very un-Yes to cut someone out of Yes history basically.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 05:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

WOW, thats some real aging rocker s**t there.
Lets make a buck by re-doing our last album to pay for our meds but since we can't come up with a new idea or make new songs lets just get someone else to sing them LOL.

That kind of sounds like the Styx deal I heard on behind the music.
Someone else owned the copyright to one of their songs and they wanted to make money off of it on a greatest his album,
so they re-recorded it and were somehow allowed to release the re-recorded version of the same song note for note.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Second to last album. They tour and release fancy box sets and audiophile LPs all the time. They have a box set this year with the first five albums remixed totally but in those situations the differences are really subtle and usually impossible to notice for anyone who isn’t both a mega fan and in possession of a real stereo. This is completely different from that, IMO.

If they are set on heavily messing with old records they need to hit Relayer and Tormato more than anything. Those really get irritating at high volumes unless you make a specific EQ setting for them and both could have way more fans if they just sounded better.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
teddanson wrote:

The remastered DVD actually has too much grain. It looks artificial.

I’ve only seen the original DVD that came in a big box and is suuuuuucks. Maybe with today’s players it could be better but when I was expecting an Itano Circus I basically got barf instead.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 13:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I didn’t know there was an AC-3 ver of Patlabor 2. Presumably something is missing from the package there, an obi or some kind of velum or whatever. Bandai packaging was getting even more deluxe in some ways near the end (ie: Macross Plus Movie, Macross Dynamite 7, 08th MS Team Miller’s Report, etc).

Good news! I finally got around to having opening up the Patlabor 2 disc to check the contents. Everything is present and correct! It has an obi strip, a beautiful booklet detailing the making of the film as well as interviews with key staff and the director.

It also has two extra inserts about Dolby Digital and AC-3 audio. There is also an extra sheet with a coupon you have to mail away for an extra disc, I think about Patlabor music on Laserdisc. I'll check in to it.

Also there was a shop flyer/catalogue from 1999 in it in mint condition! It showcases some upcoming releases back in 1999. Very cool and complete!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 10:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't think that coupon is still valid these days.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 17:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:

I thought this was just going to be the actual Saturday Morning Cartoon theme songs, but they're covers by rock and punk bands.

Not quite what I wanted, but eh . . .

there was a sampler cassette from that album that was included with an issue of one of the SPIDER MAN comics i was collecting/reading
in my early/mid-teens back around the mid-90's.

i was a bored, poor kid then, stuck out on an alfalfa farm five miles out in the middle of nowhere,
with a SONY WALKMAN and a small selection of tapes, so that sampler saw a fair number of plays.

i'd never be able to return to it or it's original album with any degree of nostalgia, however;
the music was far too 90's, and that period of my life was just too dark and mediocre.

needless to say, i am far better off and happier now than i ever was then. just wish i could be that young again, is all...

Page 6 of 7 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next