It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:07

Page 20 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 17:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You should buy it.

Would you be interested in buying my old Soul of Chogokin Tetsujin 28? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 18:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
You should buy it.

Would you be interested in buying my old Soul of Chogokin Tetsujin 28? :mrgreen:

You can PM me some info on that if you want.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 20:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Man, Xabungle was one of those shows where I had the bootleg toys but nothing else.

Coincidentally, I also had one! I think. This was like almost 30 years ago but I swear I used to have this little red starship that turned into a robot and it looked just like the Iron Gear.

gypsy wrote:
Does Japan have real BDs of them? Might just be the original source material isn't great.

Source material of what now? Macross? I'm pretty sure Great Mazinger and the 80's Tetsujin were unsubbed simply due to lack of interest by people with the necessary skills. I know Macross definitely excists as a BD in Japan.

I meant specifically some of the SD on BD releases that were being discussed like Xabungle. To me SDBD and crappy upscale BDs are basically the same thing anyway.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In almost every situation, if they don’t have the negative (or don’t care to find it) then Blu-ray is totally pointless. I have Flashback 2012 on LD and BR and IMHO most of us here have LD setups that would make the LD look better than the BR does. When they only have an LD master there really isn’t anything that a huge publisher can do that hardcore fans can’t do themselves at home.

SDBR makes perfect sense to me if the show is going to be packaged as cheaply as possible or if they only have a Betacam or D2 master. A proper anime BR like Discotek’s Unico will make you feel like you’re finally getting glasses you’ve needed your whole life. If they just quadruple the pixels of the same source then...well, your TV already does that for free.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agree on all counts...

Plus SDBD is so much better than dealing with DVDs.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's a shame that so many classic OVAs are also trapped on laserdisc because the original negatives were lost in a fire or something, such as Armored Hunter Mellowlink and Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Shining Heresy.

I think the Starship Troopers OVA is also a victim but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

On Japanese LD, or even many DVD and BR, every four episodes is a new opportunity for a killer cover, possibly commissioned new from the original artist. This is probably the best reason to own Brave Raideen. On cheap American releases though all you get is maybe some recycled disc art then they stack all the discs up in a cheap plastic box. I don’t really care to have more discs thrown into the cheap plastic box.

An example of what I’m talking about would be the original Gundam series. I have both the US subbed DVD set and the 1998 JP LD boxes and...well you may prefer to watch it on DVD but the LD is fun to look at while you’re watching it because they created scads of new art for it. That art was then used cropped on the dubbed only DVDs from like...2004 or whenever that was, then made round and used on the discs of the sub DVDs they came out with right as Bandai Entertainment was shutting down.

Look, sometimes you want gelfling and you can only afford the essence, I hear ya. But there’s no point in half stepping. It’s one of the other. The essence with the gelfling bits added back in is just trash.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
It's a shame that so many classic OVAs are also trapped on laserdisc because the original negatives were lost in a fire or something, such as Armored Hunter Mellowlink and Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Shining Heresy.

Project A-ko and Flashback 2012 for sure. Both of those really hurt too.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 01:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Project A-ko and Flashback 2012 for sure. Both of those really hurt too.

I did not know that, guess that's why so many OVAs are still very expensive on YJ Even their DVD counterpart.

I picked up a copy of Love City, saw there was also a DVD but YJ still wanted 80 bucks for the DVD.

Need to do a review of that one, only scanned through it before I moved, pretty crazy looking.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 16:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, of that SENTAI FILMWORKS Black Friday fire-sale Anime i recently got, so far...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Heart_2

ToHeart 2 was not only thoroughly unremarkable by any standard,
but the animation positively sucked. some of the worst i 've ever seen in an Anime, in fact.

one word best describes this one; Disappointing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Tutu

Princess Tutu was a but odd, but, on the whole, beautifully animated,
especially since it was handled by a studio i've never even heard of before (GANSIS)

this has got to be just about the best depiction of Ballet in Anime, -at least, the best i happen to know of-
so if you enjoy the inherent femininity of Ballet, and are also an Anime fan, this show's probably made just for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_S ... Abenobashi

Magical Shopping Arcade ABENOBASHI this one is Wild.

though the humor is often a bit crass for my liking, on the whole,
it is chockablock with fast-paced, random, but usually hilarious spoofery of classic Hollywood films, Video Games and Anime.
also, the OP song is AWESOME. terrifically listenable, and with some nonsensical-yet-amusing lyrics.

alas, the ending is fairly unsatisfying, but what else is new in Anime? on the whole, an excellent GAINAX series that is Recommended.

http://utawarerumono.wikia.com/wiki/Uta ... _Kamen_(TV)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utawarerumono

Currently, i am going through UTAWARERUMONO; THE FALSE FACES and three or four eps. in, it ain't bad, so far.
the primary Heroine, Kuon, is simply Adorable, so let's hope the rest of the series holds up to her high standard...

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 17:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I also bought Abenobashi from that sale. I remember seeing it a few times on Adult Swim when it was new. I mainly bought it because of the staff but now that I’ve seen the whole thing I really think it’s a good show. The stuff about family and generational changes and stuff was totally legit and really the point of the series, IMHO. There is also a bit of a Narnia vibe. I like the closing more, personally.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 15:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Technopolice 21C anime received recently its new digitally photographed and remastered DNR-ed Bluray, you know what, the VHS / LD are way beyond better! What do you feel when you see the superimposed cels trembling over the backgrounds? what a disaster

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 16:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ertoili wrote:
Technopolice 21C anime received recently its new digitally photographed and remastered DNR-ed Bluray, you know what, the VHS / LD are way beyond better! What do you feel when you see the superimposed cels trembling over the backgrounds? what a disaster

That’s the way old anime looks. Crappy. Frame jitter. Dirty cells that have air trapped under them. Massively inconsistent color. If you need the blurr of LD to enjoy cartoons made 30 years ago on slave wages then by all means dig in. I don’t mind all the flaws BR brings out but then I usually buy theatrical releases on BR. TV anime and most OVAs are really going to show their seams at 1080p. It’s got nothing to do with the mastering most of the time.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2019, 16:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Just started catching up on some anime I missed over the decades.

Hana Yori Dango - used to get fansub VHS tapes of this, but stopped after I hit some hard economic times. Just picked up the DVD box set. Good if sometimes overly dramatic shoujo series in the "slice-of-life" genre.

Maho Tsukai Tai - saw a lot of cosplayers from this in the late 90s early 00s. Never got around to seeing it. Cute show. Nothing overly special other than the appealing character designs.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation - got the first 2 volumes on subbed VHS back in the day, but never finished it (even though it aired on Sci-Fi channel when they had that anime programming thing for a while.) Got the CPM DVD a few years ago from a flea market for $3. Just now finished it. Really liked this one. Anyone know if the re-released DVDs from AnimeWorks or Discotek were remastered? The CPM DVD looks to be culled from either LD or a composite master complete with burned in cross-color artifacts.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 01:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Hana Yori Dango - used to get fansub VHS tapes of this, but stopped after I hit some hard economic times. Just picked up the DVD box set. Good if sometimes overly dramatic shoujo series in the "slice-of-life" genre.

This is in fact the best soap opera. It's really something you can only watch once, but what a ride it is.

signofzeta wrote:
That’s the way old anime looks. Crappy. Frame jitter. Dirty cells that have air trapped under them. Massively inconsistent color. If you need the blurr of LD to enjoy cartoons made 30 years ago on slave wages then by all means dig in. I don’t mind all the flaws BR brings out but then I usually buy theatrical releases on BR. TV anime and most OVAs are really going to show their seams at 1080p. It’s got nothing to do with the mastering most of the time.

Some old anime is pretty stunning on BD but you are correct that some of it just can't really be saved/helped. It really depends what it is, high cut OVAs look gorgeous. Older tv series that were getting churned out as fast as possible with not great animators to begin with, that stuff definitely suffers.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 02:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Anime without a spec of dirt on it is pretty rare. Ghibli, Oshii, in that caliber sure but virtually all OVAs and TV episodes have some defect somewhere until digital took over. If what you were doing’s flaws were small enough to not be visable on 18” TV there was zero point it being cleaner. Total time that human hands touch a cel in the 80s anime trenches was sometimes less than five minutes. 1950s Disney was far far from Japan.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 11:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
ertoili wrote:

I think im getting older :) ...but anyway a proper remaster shouldnt be using an analog photocamera again (like in 1980) for each cel instead a digital one? think it is because telecine machines no more exist

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 14:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Anime without a spec of dirt on it is pretty rare. Ghibli, Oshii, in that caliber sure but virtually all OVAs and TV episodes have some defect somewhere until digital took over. If what you were doing’s flaws were small enough to not be visable on 18” TV there was zero point it being cleaner. Total time that human hands touch a cel in the 80s anime trenches was sometimes less than five minutes. 1950s Disney was far far from Japan.

Definitely agree. Even much of Japan's old live action films are in much worse shape than their Hollywood counterparts.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 17:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ertoili wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
ertoili wrote:

I think im getting older :) ...but anyway a proper remaster shouldnt be using an analog photocamera again (like in 1980) for each cel instead a digital one? think it is because telecine machines no more exist

What they will be dealing with is the original negative if they are lucky. The cels have all be hauled away for disposal or stolen and on eBay now not to mention the backgrounds and shooting script. Sadly many times the original negative is lost so they have to deal with the master tape which for Techno Police was probably umatic. D1 didn’t exist yet. I don’t know about Technopolice specifically but the original negative is lost for many many classic shows.

They don’t use the same telecine as the 80s since that would probably output composite or YC video made for analog tape formats of the day. Whether or not they played it at real time or if they scanned every frame one at a time...these days it probably barely matters but I confess I don’t know a lot about that process.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 07:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Definitely they should have considered a "U-matic to DVD direct port" on this particular release, but they wanted the BD money...

Page 20 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 64  Next