It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:33

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: $ugu$ prices what is the deal?
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 02:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What is the story, everything is marked at 10-20 times what it is worth, am I missing something?

Big Lebowski $500, Batman $150, Mi2 $3,400, Omen Trilogy $1,200.00, etc.??

Both commons and late releases are just a joke, I'm not understanding the point? I mean anyone is free to ask what they like but this is next level crazy?

Post subject: Re: $ugu$ prices what is the deal?
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah..... "it's for sale on lddb at $XXX so that's what it's worth"..... heard that more than once before.

If I remember correctly this has been mentioned before.

Listed at silly prices & if anyone does want to buy one, he then "might" sell it.... go figure.

It certainly doesn't help though when some sellers use here as a price check or reference point and see the silly stuff like that.

Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 17:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

....on the other hand please check the best bids on lddb and tell me if that helps too

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 17:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Dad used to tell me "it only takes one" (idiot). I've always assumed $ugu$ is waiting for an idiot (or they hope several).

Also dad used to say something is only worth what it actually sold for; so as frequently advised whether here or elsewhere always check the sales history; ridiculously inflated asking prices mean nothing!

At the end of the day "caveat emptor" is generally the rule on pricing but when it's buyer beware I think it's perfectly valid for all of us to call out situations that help keep (especially new and inexperienced) buyers aware.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 15:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am not even trying to call the guy out, I literally do not understand the point of what he is doing? I mean I guess if one person pays for one of his massively overpriced discs it is worth it but I find it awfully hard to believe that has happened or will happen?

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 16:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pbiancardi wrote:
I am not even trying to call the guy out, I literally do not understand the point of what he is doing?

Maybe it's his own personal collection and he will only let got at a way-above-market price?
Or expect a -50% best offer to be likely and set the start price high to keep the 50% at the price intended?

Julien

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 16:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
I am not even trying to call the guy out, I literally do not understand the point of what he is doing?

Maybe it's his own personal collection and he will only let got at a way-above-market price?
Or expect a -50% best offer to be likely and set the start price high to keep the 50% at the price intended?

Julien

Sure massively overpriced but one of the best collections in terms of the amount of sought after titles. He was very likely a 90s collector and those are his personal collection items. One thing we know for sure he has a lot of patience :)

I remember he had the sixth day and the cell for something like $8000 in the past. I didn’t bother to check what he still has before I wrote this. I would like to think those are still sitting in his shop.

I want to say however he did start the trend of kilobucks LDs. I remember another thread like this about UGU a few years ago. I believe the main topic was the $5700 and $8000 discs. At that time no other seller dared to list anything about $750-800 where as UGUs starting prices were like $500 for Big lebowski. After that thread other sellers starting listing over $1000 listings and now there are a ton of $2000-3000 askings(UGU is still double or more on those)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 19:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
admin wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

Julien

Sure massively overpriced but one of the best collections in terms of the amount of sought after titles. He was very likely a 90s collector and those are his personal collection items. One thing we know for sure he has a lot of patience :)

I remember he had the sixth day and the cell for something like $8000 in the past. I didn’t bother to check what he still has before I wrote this. I would like to think those are still sitting in his shop.

I want to say however he did start the trend of kilobucks LDs. I remember another thread like this about UGU a few years ago. I believe the main topic was the $5700 and $8000 discs. At that time no other seller dared to list anything about $750-800 where as UGUs starting prices were like $500 for Big lebowski. After that thread other sellers starting listing over $1000 listings and now there are a ton of $2000-3000 askings(UGU is still double or more on those)

Now I am even more confused because I just checked his X-Men and he has for $400.00 which is close to reasonable lol edit w/o OBI now I see why.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 19:38 
True fan
True fan

It´s prices like this that let people think they sit on a goldmine, when they have in fact INDEPENDENCE DAY or BRAVEHEART in their (worst case, PAL) collection. I can´t imagine why anyone is listing those LDs for those prices, even if it´s as Julien suggested, it´s not a business model I understand. I guess at some point in the (far)) future, the actual worth of Lds will be zero, so why do prices that no one is willing to pay. Even for those high calibre LDs he is selling.
About his user name, I guess it´s not UGU, as someone wrote here, but SUGUS, which is a swiss sweet, just with the $ instead of the S...

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 20:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was thinking it was Surugaya (a cheap used shop) cutely abbreviated with the $ added to emphasis his insane gouging but that doesn’t really work. You’re probably right.

Rarely are $ put in a user name for cool reasons. Basically it’s money worship which is a deplorable characteristic in any situation. He probably drives around in a used Merc with a vanity plate that is some sort of financial services meme decent humans don’t recognize.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 21:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Can someone explain why in the future the prices of lds will be zero???
I’m asking cause it’s almost 20 years since discs were stop produced and the majority of not common titles are sold for pretty good money

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 21:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Because the only people who value them are old. When they die there will be little genuine love, just “book value” and that’s not a real economy. With no players and all the discs rotted in 200 years I can’t imagine why anyone would pay a cent for an LD. Not with things like books and LPs which never rot still going and two centuries more worth of crap to collect.

They don’t make buggy whips or courtroom wigs anymore either and you don’t see them being worth tons of money so why LD, something that even at its peak wasn’t as popular as either?

The value of most things is temporary. If it wasn’t inflation would be INSANE.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 21:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Because the only people who value them are old. When they die there will be little genuine love, just “book value” and that’s not a real economy. With no players and all the discs rotted in 200 years I can’t imagine why anyone would pay a cent for an LD. Not with things like books and LPs which never rot still going and two centuries more worth of crap to collect.

Hear hear.

Books obviously don't need anything besides a pair of eyes and a light source to read, and the mechanism to read records has changed so little since conception that it's a simple matter to include the option to play 78 rpm records even on a cheap turntable, a playback speed that hasn't been used in decades.

There may be a point in the future when manufacturing is cheap enough that manufacturing even a basic laserdisc player might be viable, but that's still kind of unlikely considering electronics manufacturers' aversion to analog technology. I mean, look at compact cassettes; the decks are still being made, but they're a pale shadow of what they used to be, and they feel more like a sad attempt to cash in on a resurgence among retro hipsters than any serious attempt to bring back the ol' cassette. Any serious hi-fi enthusiast is still going to go for a vintage deck than pay a dime for those all plastic hunks of junk.

Last edited by takeshi666 on 31 Dec 2018, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 21:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

giannis wrote:
Can someone explain why in the future the prices of lds will be zero???
I’m asking cause it’s almost 20 years since discs were stop produced and the majority of not common titles are sold for pretty good money

LDs are obviously the only collectible you have dealt in.

If you have collected and dealt in other items you would see and understand this question.

I remember when people were collecting the original mechanical cast iron banks from the late 1800s to early 1900s

They were going for crazy money in the early 1980s to late 1990s, when those guys died in their 80s and 90s the market did too.
Banks that would sell for 20,000 were now selling for 6,000.
There is still a market but when the strong buyers died off you lost over 80% of your market.

This happens with all collectibles that are by generation, when that generation dies off then you pretty much are stuck with a very small
limited group who will still pay stupid prices.

There are things like certain artists that still command money and always will due to the multi-generational interest.

We are the last of the multi-generational collectors of LDs, people who bought them in their 40s-50s back in the 1980s are now 70-80 and
have dumped their collections a long time ago, their kids or friends of kids who knew parents who had them but couldn't afford them
are now owning large collections but we are now in our 40s-50s and how long will we hold onto them??

Are our kids getting them??
Do they even care, they don't even buy Blurays why would they spend triple on an LD of Die Hard 2 just to own the LD:think:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 22:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sadly most of the people who originally fueled the LD market are already dead. You can’t pay for a Pioneer Elite player or single movies from Criterion for $100+ with your first job. It was well off 80s middle aged people who are 70-90 years old now. I have no idea who bought thie $700 box sets of TV anime made for eight year olds. I’m glad they did, of course. :)

Furthermore these customers dumped LD to heavily invest in DVD and then Blu-ray if they lived that long. They do not care about The Sixth Day on LD one stupid little bit since it’s on Blu-ray now, assuming they even care about crap films like that after 30 years of collecting Criterions. The ones who are buying most of the LD stuff now are like me, too young to afford it at the time and catching up. (Almost nothing I’m catching up on is worth anything anymore).

Then you have the 90s kids with their “rarity”. Being a “collector” wasn’t even a thing back then. It was about having a library of movies that would last forever, not some kind of reality TV investment that you can flip for quad the cash. Paying $1000 for a crappy movie that nobody has any intention of viewing...that’s all new school thinking invented by “fans” of LD who didn’t know it existed until it died and became “valuable”. That stuff will die last of course since nobody even cares if sealed discs play but it will die. Just because 90s kids never grow up doesn’t mean they will live forever and the kids who are 3 years old now will never grow up into someone who pays $1000 for an LD. They will have their own crazy stuff to do. Hopefully it’s more intelligent and rewarding than LD gouging must be.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2019, 15:01 
True fan
True fan

You guys summed it up pretty good for me and added a few other things to my thoughts. it´s not that I´m an oracle, beware, but I can´t think of LDs having a long bright future. As it´s said, we´re getting old, and I guess at some point not everyone is ready to still shell out 100s of €/$ for physical media, most of us had bought the movies over and over. I know , it´s not necessarily about the movie itself, when it comes to have END OF DAYS, it´s about the media, but the majority of young guys don´t even want actual physical media. Can´t imagine anyone paying 200US$ for a LaserDisc - and I´m not speaking of the commons, which are pretty much dead when it comes to selling. Price of those is already nearly zero.

Quote:
urthermore these customers dumped LD to heavily invest in DVD and then Blu-ray if they lived that long. They do not care about The Sixth Day on LD one stupid little bit since it’s on Blu-ray now, assuming they even care about crap films like that after 30 years of collecting Criterions. The ones who are buying most of the LD stuff now are like me, too young to afford it at the time and catching up. (Almost nothing I’m catching up on is worth anything anymore).

This sums pretty much up - I was able to afford 1 or 2 Discs a month in my time in the 90s, I even cleaned dirty barrels for a chemical company in my spare time to invest in my hobby. I wouldn´t do this again, nor for any movie in the world,and yes, i still consider myself as LD Fan :)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2019, 17:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I cleaned the legal offices of the Dow Chemical company to afford my first discs, US versions of Project A-ko and Far and Away (which was a current hit at the time.) Then I got into imports and everything doubled in price.

I think “physical media” will be an important thing for many many years. Forever actually. The trend to dump it on principle in the name of mindfulness is as much of a fad as anything. There is literally zero human history where art exists without physical experience until the advent of digital media and the internet. It used to be that to hear music at all you had to go to a place where it was being played live. You needed people and instruments. That moved on to player pianos and jukeboxes and finally to iPods with no media slot. People make it seem like “of course you can dump your own copies” like it’s obvious or normal or cool to have music and movies pumped out of thin air. Like you’re a weirdo for wanting a copy of your favorite movie. But they ignore or don’t consider that the very idea is actually new so there is really no consensus on this. Being able to hear music but have no way to see the musicians or their lyrics or cover is new. People aren’t going to just fall into that habit. This might explain the whole vinyl thing right now. Many young people in particular seem to not understand why the industry is removing all humanity from the experience on principle (Spotify) when cool ish like gatefold LP jackets exist and also pay the artist.

I’m not saying my three huge shelves of 600 LD releases and untold thousands of LPs is ever going to be the norm but owning nothing at all isn’t going to catch on. Not in the first world where people are buying $70k cars and $700k houses every day. Maybe if America becomes a nation of monks. So never, in other words.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2019, 18:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This has turned into a very interesting thread with it all summed up rather eloquently in a few posts here.

Enjoy the big discs for whatever they are "worth" to you.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2019, 23:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Even as a 90's kid, I can't stand paying for a "digital copy" of anything. If I'm paying good money for it I want to be able to hold it.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2019, 23:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah one of the main things about physical copies is control. You control it, it's completely yours, it can't be deleted from a company's on demand database, in the case of music you can make mixes freely forever, without needing an internet connection or some company's approval.

Another thing that's beautiful about LD is that when you press play it goes straight to the content, no menu, no BS. It makes you feel even more in control. It makes you think "This is yours, you paid for your own copy and you now own it, no strings. Complete control with LD."

No copy protection on LD either makes for good feelings, if I feel like I can back this up any way I want to, because I OWN it, I'm not borrowing it.

My DVD player is modified to branch to the content with a few presses of play but it's still more annoying. Australian market DVDs have this ridiculous thank you thing on the front of all DVDs. "Thank you for paying for this, you just saved the industry" or some s**t. So damn annoying.

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next