It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: VHD Player Buying Guide?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 18:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

With the certain LDs titles I own now, I'm starting to now collect other video format release's like CED, VHD etc.

There are some very good buying guides for CED players but I haven't yet found one for VHD players, unless I'm not looking hard enough.

Post subject: Re: VHD Player Buying Guide?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 23:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

there is this site

Also Disclord is gone who did the site and posted here. Its rather random unless you are Japanese then perhaps there would be more info and a guide for VHD

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 02:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

VHD doesn't really have anything to offer that already exist on more convenient or superior formats. I settled for a 3D player, as I felt it was more or less the only interesting worth collecting.

As for buying guides.... not much there I'm afraid. The site xtempo linked is one of the few resources available for us foreigners. The players are heavy, so be prepared for paying a bit for shipping. They're also prone to damage, so make sure you buy a working model. Also make sure the transit screw is secured before shipping as well.

I think Kevin Kobos (aka Good Squid) got a couple of players in stock now. Might want to contact him.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 15:08 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks for sharing all this.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 01:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Is the Victor HD-9500 the best player for VHDs? Similar to what the Pioneer HLD-X0 is for LDs?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 03:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

kt7000 wrote:
Is the Victor HD-9500 the best player for VHDs? Similar to what the Pioneer HLD-X0 is for LDs?

So what is going on here??
Don't mean to bash but you have posted about the X0 now this.

You obviously don't even own any LDs or you wouldn't be asking these types of questions and ready to drop multiple grands on an X0
and now you are onto a VHD player :wtf:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 03:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

kt7000 wrote:

There is no X-0 of VHD. Only LD, VHS, SVHS, that’s about it. There is no ¥600,000 VHD deck that weighs 80 pounds.

I would love a CED player that was even half as good as an S201 but sadly Pioneer spoiled us.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 06:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

What I mean is is the Victor HD-9500 the best player for VHD. The X0 is being used for comparison here with LD as it's the most relevant. I could also say "like the way the Sony SL-HF 1000 is to betamax". I'm also currently not trying to buy a VHD player or titles but am curious for information about the format like CED like what was so special about it , why did it fail etc.

rein-o wrote:
kt7000 wrote:

You obviously don't even own any LDs or you wouldn't be asking these types of questions and ready to drop multiple grands on an X0

I'm away in London, UK now, but check back here on 1/9/19 for pics of my LD collection.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 10:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

CED players were built like childrens toys except not as well. Very very low end on the scale of AV gear. Utter crap for the time. Almost no metal. Terrible video and audio quality.

VHD players are much better in that they actually resemble real gear but they are still really pretty cheap all around.

Even the worst cheapest loudest LD player is like five notches up from any VHD deck in robustness of build, mainly just because of the energy that's in a 4800 RPM 16oz disc. You %100 have to use metal in an LD player! :)

However, many many notches above that the X-0 is like professional lab equipment from Horiba or ETAS. Stuff that's built to stay on 24/7 until its obsolete decades later and gets recycled. On top of that it has single chips in it that probably cost more than any VHD deck. Its the opposite of cost cutting, it was engineered beyond opulence on purpose so its like an MRI machine and a swiss watch at once. To be bonkers. There is no VHD deck operating at even half the OT level of the X-0. Its like Wendy and Marvin (VHD) vs The Wonder Twins (average LD player) vs The Beyonder and The Anti-Monitor (X-0). You could buy a CAR for the price of one of these things. A crap one, sure, but a car, like a Suzuki Alto or something.

So yeah, by one measure the X-0 is the "best" and therefore could be compared to the "best" VHD deck but in reality the best VHD deck is probably about as bad-ass as a karaoke combo LD machine, if that. Its like saying a Formula 1 car is like a Tardis because they both represent the cutting edge in their respective classification of vehicle, one being a plastic car and one being a time machine. You can't be the Michael Jordan of sport fishing or dressage, there isn't one.

VHD wasn't around for long, had no market to speak of, and died before any major innovations could evolve as they did with LD and VHS. VHD really is the CED of Japan in more than one way. If either of them had lasted very long we could have seen the equivalent of VHS's HQ circuitry, etc but that stuff takes a healthy market to grow in. The difference between a VP-1000 and a DVD-919 is *crazy* but that took 15 years to happen.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 04:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

To answer the question, as far as I know the HD-9500 was Victor Company's top VHD player.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had a copy of Evil Deal, sold it when I moved. While I loved the color timing and had the feel of being correct I don't miss it much.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 21:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
VHD doesn't really have anything to offer that already exist on more convenient or superior formats. I settled for a 3D player, as I felt it was more or less the only interesting worth collecting.

It does if you like anime, unfortunately. Thanks to VICTOR, there are a number of noteworthy titles that were not released on LD. I suppose one could buy them on VHS instead, but the VHD versions are slightly superior. I say that not owning a SVHS player. I have a feeling that a top VICTOR SVHS player may produce a better picture playing the VHS versions over the HD-9500 or DP-830 playing the VHD versions. I guess the advantage the VHD has here is that you can pretty much only get old, worn ex-rental tapes now. Where as the VHDs should not show the same symptoms, if you're lucky...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 19:38 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So, my player is a Sharp VP-X10B...is it considered a good one? It's got all the bells and whistles, Dolby Surround, 3D title compatibility, AHD weird 8-pin DIN port, VHD PC port... I'm still looking for a god damn remote for it though... ugh.. but so far I love it, it's beautiful and has a cool green LED VU meter in the front.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]