It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [SDP-E800] No Audio from analog sources
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 02:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

first thank you guys for recommending the Sony SDp-E800 as a good, especially for the money AC3RF converter with thee ability to output to Toslink, Dobly Digital, LPCM, or (If my Turtle Beach X41 doesn't reject it because it's Dolby decoding only) DTS

The way I hook it up is to ignore the Video portions and use it a a pure AC3RF decoder as well as digital audio hub> I have 2 connecitons from my Pioneer LD, one for AC3RF, and one toslink for LPCM/Dolby Surround/ DTS (If i could decode it). And I use the the coaxial input for my DVD-Recorder/HD TV tuner. The second toslink is for my Xbox 360, and the third is unused. All sound fine and in headphone surround.

The problem comes with analog audio> I route audio from my CRT TV, so it can do VHS, Beta and any video games before the PS2, and route that out from the headphone to SDP-E800 and I press the analog button. But no sound comes out at all.

First is it supposed to convert analog audio L/R into analog audio L/R at RCA analog hertz and bit equiavlents to the same standard Toslink LPCM 2.0? Or must I run an analog out to get he analog ports working.

By the way, so far the only output connected is a Toslink out plug to my Turtle Beach X41, which has a built in Dolby 5.1-> Dolby headphones converter.

And Yes, laser discs sound in 3D sound using the AC3 Tracks and setting it in AC3 mode using my X41.

Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-E800 No Audio from analog sources
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 04:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Laserdisc is older so you must connect both toslink and RCA connectors.
Analog only comes from RCA Red and White. If you don't have them connected you won't get the analog audio tracks.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 05:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
Laserdisc is older so you must connect both toslink and RCA connectors.
Analog only comes from RCA Red and White. If you don't have them connected you won't get the analog audio tracks.

So what you’re saying is that there is no L/R RCA->Toslink LPCM 2.0 conversion, (albeit at RCA quality) I have to wire the RCA outs to my Turtle Beach in addition to my Toslink.

I assume the reverse is true too that it doesn’t convert Toslink audio of whatever is being sent into RCA L/R 2 track LPCM.

So it’s analog when in Analog mode, and digital when in Digital mode. Right? And never the twain shall meet?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 07:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tripletopper wrote:

So it’s analog when in Analog mode, and digital when in Digital mode. Right? And never the twain shall meet?

Not quite....

If you are only going to use the "toslink output" on the E800 to your headphones, the only sound you can output is from "Digital 1" and “Digital 2"

If you are going to use the "six channel analog output" on the E800, "all" the inputs will work but the output level will vary w/ the volume control (probably best to keep the volume level about mid way all the time) and you should keep the decoder in "Sound Field Off" if your intention is to connect just your headphones to it (with just the "front L" and "front R" outputs connected).

Lastly, to ensure that you will get the full bandwidth of sound to your headphones with the analog output, you should change the "SP. SETUP" for the Center, Rear, and Subwoofer to "No" and keep the Front to “Large”.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 15:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tripletopper wrote:
So what you’re saying is that there is no L/R RCA->Toslink LPCM 2.0 conversion, (albeit at RCA quality) I have to wire the RCA outs to my Turtle Beach in addition to my Toslink.

I assume the reverse is true too that it doesn’t convert Toslink audio of whatever is being sent into RCA L/R 2 track LPCM.

Digital goes to Analog, Analog won't go to digital.

If you just use Red and White you will get Analog and Digital DAC.
There is no ADC in LD players that I know of.

Thus you need to connect the Analog cables to get Analog audio. Analog won't go through Digital.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 17:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
Digital goes to Analog, Analog won't go to digital.

If you just use Red and White you will get Analog and Digital DAC.
There is no ADC in LD players that I know of.

Thus you need to connect the Analog cables to get Analog audio. Analog won't go through Digital.

I’m not talking about the Laser Disc Players, I’m talking about the Sony AC3 converter/ digital audio hub, namely the Sony SDP-E800. It’s not a Laser Disc player.

But if the device does digital-> analog conversions then my X41 could in theory receive a simultaneous digital and analog signal coming from the same source.

I don’t know how my X41 will handle that, whether the digital one or the analog one would have priority.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 17:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:

Not quite....

If you are only going to use the "toslink output" on the E800 to your headphones, the only sound you can output is from "Digital 1" and “Digital 2"

If you are going to use the "six channel analog output" on the E800, "all" the inputs will work but the output level will vary w/ the volume control (probably best to keep the volume level about mid way all the time) and you should keep the decoder in "Sound Field Off" if your intention is to connect just your headphones to it (with just the "front L" and "front R" outputs connected).

Lastly, to ensure that you will get the full bandwidth of sound to your headphones with the analog output, you should change the "SP. SETUP" for the Center, Rear, and Subwoofer to "No" and keep the Front to “Large”.

A) What about "Digital 3"?

B) You’re saying the SDP-E800 doesn’t have an Analog->Digital converter going through the Toslink output. It just passes L/R through the front left and front right on the 6 RCA setup. (with a possible synched rear left and right)

If B is true, then probably the smart thing to do is wire the analog CRT TV output straight into the analog input of the X41

And C) thanks for the advice on the Headphone sound. But if my headphones work strictly through the Toslink out, then it’s impossible to get headphones on the X41 through the Toslink through the SDP-E80. so I should just hook up the CRT TV straight into the X41’s analog inputs. I don’t want to change settings for stereo sound and dolby 5.1

One last question, will the headphone jack from the CRT TV accurately carry Dolby Pro Logic and other 2 channel "encoded surround" signals into my X41, or does my Sony Wega TV tamper with the sound, not preserving the Pro Logic/other Dolby 2-track surround encoding. Remember this is through the 3.5 mm headphone out port.

The reason why I ask is because I can record Dolby Headphone soundtracks on an Audio MP3 Recorder and on a DVD Recorder, and the soundstage is preserved assuming you listen to the recording through headphones, and it doesn’t have to be an X41, it can be ANY 2 track headphones, but they must be over-ear headphones. So there could be a possibility of the Dolby Pro Logic encoding remaining in the 2 track signal, just like the Dolby Headphone signal.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 18:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh didn't pay attention.
Thanks for correcting me :)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 19:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You are way overthinking everything as usual. There isn’t any processing or anything on analog line level stuff except amplification, equalization, filter. Secondly only YOU are in possession of your headphones so only YOU can tell US how this crazy plan of yours turns out. Nobody here knows because as far we know you’re the first person on earth to buy an AC-3 demod for the purposes of plugging headphones into it. Nobody else will probably do this since professional two channel mixes already exist on most LDs, ones that use the higher quality uncompressed redbook format and don’t require any gear at all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 20:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tripletopper wrote:

A) What about "Digital 3"?

Nope.

Since Digital 3 is associated w/ the optical output as a part of a "record output" feature, that output shuts down when you choose Digital 3. This prevents a loop back if you have a digital audio recorder set-up on it.

tripletopper wrote:
B) You’re saying the SDP-E800 doesn’t have an Analog->Digital converter going through the Toslink output. It just passes L/R through the front left and front right on the 6 RCA setup. (with a possible synched rear left and right)

It passes L/R to either the "Front L" and Front R" when you choose "no" sound field processing or passes sound to all "six channel outputs" for Dolby Pro-Logic when engaging sound field processing

tripletopper wrote:
If B is true, then probably the smart thing to do is wire the analog CRT TV output straight into the analog input of the X41

Yes

tripletopper wrote:
And C) thanks for the advice on the Headphone sound. But if my headphones work strictly through the Toslink out, then it’s impossible to get headphones on the X41 through the Toslink through the SDP-E80. so I should just hook up the CRT TV straight into the X41’s analog inputs. I don’t want to change settings for stereo sound and dolby 5.1

I don't understand what you are asking.

tripletopper wrote:
One last question, will the headphone jack from the CRT TV accurately carry Dolby Pro Logic and other 2 channel "encoded surround" signals into my X41, or does my Sony Wega TV tamper with the sound, not preserving the Pro Logic/other Dolby 2-track surround encoding. Remember this is through the 3.5 mm headphone out port.

Yes it will. Best to also keep the Sony's TV audio output to "fixed" if it has an option for both variable and fixed. This keeps the audio being sent out of the TV at a high volume level and would help w/ matrix processing for Dolby Pro-Logic.

tripletopper wrote:
The reason why I ask is because I can record Dolby Headphone soundtracks on an Audio MP3 Recorder and on a DVD Recorder, and the soundstage is preserved assuming you listen to the recording through headphones, and it doesn’t have to be an X41, it can be ANY 2 track headphones, but they must be over-ear headphones. So there could be a possibility of the Dolby Pro Logic encoding remaining in the 2 track signal, just like the Dolby Headphone signal.

Yes

signofzeta wrote:
You are way overthinking everything as usual. There isn’t any processing or anything on analog line level stuff except amplification, equalization, filter. Secondly only YOU are in possession of your headphones so only YOU can tell US how this crazy plan of yours turns out. Nobody here knows because as far we know you’re the first person on earth to buy an AC-3 demod for the purposes of plugging headphones into it. Nobody else will probably do this since professional two channel mixes already exist on most LDs, ones that use the higher quality uncompressed redbook format and don’t require any gear at all.

And I agree w/ signofzeta regarding this assessment.

Since you are just using headphones, you aren't getting any advantage using the Sony, SDP-E800 at all. You would be better off just listening to the LD's L/R output and the PCM track which would sound better than a 5.1 mix folded back down to 2 channel.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 23:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:

signofzeta wrote:

And I agree w/ signofzeta regarding this assessment.

Since you are just using headphones, you aren't getting any advantage using the Sony, SDP-E800 at all. You would be better off just listening to the LD's L/R output and the PCM track which would sound better than a 5.1 mix folded back down to 2 channel.

There are 3 advantages I get with an SDP-E800 1. Laser Disc AC3 is translated into Dolby Digital 5.1, and my X41s work with Toslink based Dolby 5.1 (possibly higher if possible) signals. And it does convert it into a Dobly Headphone soundtrack. The best I could do with it before is the higher hertz rate/higher bit rate Dolby Pro Logic signal which sounds better than VHS and even Beta Hi Fi. Higher bit/higher hertz Dolby Pro Logic sounds like CD quality sound, but only in 2-dimensional sound, which for Star Wars Trilogy "The Originals One Last Time edition" sound awesome in terms of clarity, even though it’s in obvious ring surround, not sphere surround, but Dolby 5.1 sounds 3D with Dolby Headphones.

2. It adds an extra Toslink and Coaxial Port, where the coaxial port comes in handy with my DVD-R/HDTV Tuner.

3. And since there is no video being plugged through it, it acts better as an audio hub with vidoe 1 being shared by my Laser Disc AC3->Dobly Digital, as well as LD Dobly Pro Logic/LPCM 2.0/DTS 5.1 port, and the TV wit the coaxial, and act as an extra port by cycling through audio 1 options.

If you see my main media room, and when I described it to a VP of DTS, he agreed with my TV installers assessment, that headphone is the best technology for that room. Unfortunately, they don’t make DTS headphones..yet. He told me wait until the end of December 2018 to hear an annoucement about a DTS headphone option. Any news yet?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 00:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm looking at my 24 inch Sony Wega CRT, and I press options, and see 5 options at sound Treble (set in the middle) Bass (set in the middle) Balance (set in the middle), and 2 other setting which I don't know what would be best. Steady sound can either be on or off, and Effect can either be "off", "surround", or "simulated" What would be the best audio setting to preserve a Dolby Pro Logic sound through the CRT TV, and make 2 channel soundtracks, like Genesis, SNES, etc sound best> I understand I wont get suround effects on those unless they are either a) encoded in "Dobly Surround" (now called Pro Logic) or b) encoded with a proprietary headpone soundtrack, where I have to switch it on the options.

By the way, does it matter whether it's a Pro Logic track, a video game proprietary headphone 2 channel track, or a standard 2 channel soundtrack when setting my CRT TV when outputting through the hedphones. Remember I want my X41 to process it. I don't trust Sony's proprietary Headphone mixes, and it's designed for communal stereo speakers on the TV itself anyway.

And My X41... (I know I am the oddball on this forum using ANY KIND of surround headset, but non-LD users might search this topic on Google... None of the Shredders ( pardon me, Foot Clansmen, even though SignOfZeta is the lead mocker of them, so he should get he title of Shredder) will know this answer. [My nickname for Turtle Beach mockers.] ) There are 2 setting in terms of processing but I can't tell if it's to turn surround processors on/off, and it should be turned off for a Dolby Headphone soundtrack, because decoding an already decoded soundtrack gives you gobbledygook, i.e put it in an unintended code, Or is it 2 types of surround modes, a Pro Logic mode, and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mode, where the one that isn't Pro Logic should be used for "do not process" the 2 track soundtrack. Based on what i see, it looks like the first. The Dolby Digital and/or Pro Logic lights turn off and the Dolby Headphone Symbol light turns on.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]