It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

Page 6 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 04:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Lots of sea monkeys

With their octopus overlords?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 06:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

audioboyz1973 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
...the movie that asks the most depressing question of all time, “What if Noah faithfully built the ark and God just let it rain for all eternity and everything died?”

Please excuse my total ignorance of other things film/director-wise etc. associated with this comment, but what if god did just let it rain? a water planet? What of aquatic creatures (it almost certainly wouldn't be a case of "everything died")? Actually, I'd really like to see what the evolutionary outcome of Cephalopods as the dominant life-form on this planet would be...

The film is one person’s answer to the question, but presumably it’s made more to be a metaphor for god’s silence re: many other films.

Because it’s so common (and awesome) to juxtapose totally disparate concepts in anime (ie: Pinocchio in space, trains in space, pirate ships in space, Ulysses in space, etc) I assumed this was a sort of Noah Ginga Densetsu kind of thing. But I don’t think it is at all.

I watched this movie like 50 times, over 15-20 years before I realized that they were literally on the actual Ark, and the man wasn’t paraphrasing Genesis, it was his actual history. It wasn’t a crashed spaceship from an earth like planet. Its Earth. God never showed up. All the animals finally went extinct when everything on the Ark died. He perhaps got bored with this experiment and moved on to something else.

It’s that sort of ish that absolutely blows my mind. The director had a Christian past and this film clearly is him sort of working that out. To feel abandoned by God is pretty heavy thing I guess. Up until this movie I had never heard or considered the concept of Noah’s Ark sinking. It’s a great “Shaka, When the Walls Fell” sort of philosophical metaphor useful for describing great ideas failing, like the USSR. Sure, the USSR itself sucked but when it died so did the dreams of millions of well meaning comunists and that has to suck.* When you buy into something very heavily despite its flaws, and sure enough it’s the flaws that killed it in the end...that’s the darkest pit of deepest despondency right there. To be betrayed by your belief in something. But since this betrayal isn’t of one person but of all life on Earth...it becomes weapons grade depressing, actually. Even Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here is less depressing than the concept of Noah’s Ark sinking. It’s the ultimate!

The reason I think new anime sucks almost axiomatically is that I haven’t had an experience like that with very many things made outside of the late 90s or earlier. It’s not that you necessarily need an emphasis on roadshow releases and cel paint to make good anime...but when they left it was in fact a generational turning point. Like if you were a cool creative young person in Japan in 2004 you just went and did something else. When Nausicaa was topping the Animage character poll (say, 1983-1992) anime was a sword thousands of young Japanese would gladly fall on if it meant taking the art form to whatever its next level would be. Unless you have some way of tilting the table I don’t see why anyone would want in on anime in 2018. It’s the thinnest pacifying gruel by now. People shouldn’t be excited to see anime because it directly feeds them an IV of whatever their thing is. We should be exited for it to show us stuff we never could have imagined in our wildest dreams.

* this subject is covered in Pet Shop Boys song My October Symphony

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 19:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have you seen Final Yamato? What did you think of it?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 20:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
Have you seen Final Yamato? What did you think of it?

Is that the one where the ship and everyone on it die to save earth? I liked that. IIRC they just made a new series after that and forgot about the fatal ending anyway but it’s cool.

I’m not a huge Yamato fan for whatever reason. It wasn’t on TV in my area and by the time I was able to import stuff I was interested in MADOX and Bubblegum Crisis and Macross and Gundam mainly. I eventually got into 999 though. The ending of the second 999 movie was pretty dramatic. Metalmena really surprised me.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 21:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nah, Final Yamato is the one where Okita is back from the dead.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 04:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Speaking of Yamato, what's everyone's opinion of the new re-imaged Yamato series. I personally have been loving it. :)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 13:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have mixed feelings about it. In one hand it does away with many of the goofier aspects of the original (planet of the bees, Sanada's exploding limbs) but adds in it's own slew of problems (egregious fanservice, too many characters).

I did like some of the stuff in the remake, but If I had to go back and re-watch either, I'd still go with the original.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 16:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have not seen the new Yamato and tried to watch some of the older stuff once that was dubbed, it didn't catch me so I guess I'll have to try again in the future?
Always loved the concept and art but it never grabbed me.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 21:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think my issue is that there are no surprises for me even though I’ve never seen it. The show wasn’t available on TV in my area but the series guides and Roman Albums and web shrines were so I kinda spoiled it. It’s the same reason why Biblical movies don’t do it for me.

I’ve been thinking about getting into the new one but takeshi666 May have just turned me off from it.

Post subject: Re: What have you been watching? (2018)
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 23:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To be continued on: What have you been watching?

Page 6 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6