It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Street Fighter II V (TV Series)
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 00:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hello all

This is something that's perplexed me for years. Street Fighter II V TV Series (yes, I know anime based on fighting games suck, but this one is a bit of nostalgia for me since I was stationed in Japan when it aired and I made sure to watch every Monday night as it was paired with Magic Knight Rayearth in the same hour TV block), when Manga Entertainment imported the series (which they thankfully released it completely on LD), the opening and ending themes and animation were left behind and replaced with a generic montage of scenes from the series and generic music.

Anyone know why they did this? Were they angling to try to get it on US or UK TV? Or they just couldn't get the rights to the music?

Post subject: Re: Street Fighter II V (TV Series)
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 00:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

elahrairrah wrote:
Anyone know why they did this? Were they angling to try to get it on US or UK TV? Or they just couldn't get the rights to the music?

Happened a lot in France. The songs are a different kind of copyrights that need to be negotiated separately.

You can remove the original ones and use a generic one but you'll still have to pay for the right to replace the original ones.
It's still cheaper than buying the full package... unless the songs are famous and buyer will mind.

Imagine Evangelion or Nadia without the original opening song/sequence!

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 00:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Heh, funny you mention Nadia.

I think Carl Macek and Streamline started releasing Nadia in the US, but never finished it. Think they only released the first 4 eps on VHS, then produced a "Perfect Collection" of all 4 eps on one tape (yes, there was only one episode per tape previously!!!) If the LD release is any indication, those eps of Nadia didn't have the opening and ending themes, as they included those as an extra on the LD (with absolutely HORRIBLE picture and audio quality.)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 03:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They did this with Fist of the North Star as well.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 05:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:

Whahahabhhh???? No “Yu wa SHOCK!” or whateve?

Thanks for saving me from buying that.

Famously Zeta Gundam is in this situation. They basically remade a Neil Sedaca song for his...niece I want to say so she could sing it. Therefore the show technically has an American top 40 grade publishing fee so no US version. This is a major drag and I’ve never owned a US version for this reason.

When your official product is worse than the bootleg you’re probably screwed as a publisher.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 05:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

elahrairrah wrote:
those eps of Nadia didn't have the opening and ending themes, as they included those as an extra on the LD (with absolutely HORRIBLE picture and audio quality.)

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 05:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It does suck when you can't get the correct OP/ED. I usually skip them after the first listen, but still it's nice to have. Some are good enough that they hook me though, and I'll listen every time or even just listen w/o watching the show.

signofzeta wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Famously Zeta Gundam is in this situation. They basically remade a Neil Sedaca song for his...niece I want to say so she could sing it. Therefore the show technically has an American top 40 grade publishing fee so no US version. This is a major drag and I’ve never owned a US version for this reason.

When your official product is worse than the bootleg you’re probably screwed as a publisher.

Now who is trolling? ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 07:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
It does suck when you can't get the correct OP/ED. I usually skip them after the first listen, but still it's nice to have. Some are good enough that they hook me though, and I'll listen every time or even just listen w/o watching the show.

signofzeta wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Now who is trolling? ;)

Trolling what? That's basic logic.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 13:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

Why would you even want to buy it when Discotek has actually released the whole series?

I'm talking about the ancient Manga releases, when they only released like the first 36 episodes or so - and even then it took until DVD to do so because the VHS releases were cancelled (and cut, at least in the UK) about 20 in.

I actually keep forgetting Manga has a US wing.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 14:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

Trolling what? That's basic logic.

If you genuinely believe that having the original OP song makes a bootleg better than an official release that is otherwise better in every way I don't know what to tell you.

I've seen enough of a few bootlegs to know I could never stomach watching an entire show that way.

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Why would you even want to buy it when Discotek has actually released the whole series?

I'm talking about the ancient Manga releases, when they only released like the first 36 episodes or so - and even then it took until DVD to do so because the VHS releases were cancelled (and cut, at least in the UK) about 20 in.

I actually keep forgetting Manga has a US wing.

Complete trash company. :/

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 15:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sorry. I didn’t even realize FotNS had been released twice. I though you were taking about the more recent one. It all makes sense now. Macek did it.

But by “bootleg” I don’t mean those lavish pirate DVDs morons buy off eBay I mean fansubs, raw, etc just jacked from torrent sites. A JP version or a direct copy of it is very very rarely worse quality than a US version and will almost never have censored music (only Aim for the Top! comes to mind, even the JP versions may have altered music now). I’d take that any day over a US one missing the intro. The intro is very important to fans of a series. If US publishers don’t care to put it on then I don’t care to buy their janky mall otaku crap.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 15:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Sorry. I didn’t even realize FotNS had been released twice. I though you were taking about the more recent one. It all makes sense now. Macek did it.

But by “bootleg” I don’t mean those lavish pirate DVDs morons buy off eBay I mean fansubs, raw, etc just jacked from torrent sites. A JP version or a direct copy of it is very very rarely worse quality than a US version and will almost never have censored music (only Aim for the Top! comes to mind, even the JP versions may have altered music now). I’d take that any day over a US one missing the intro. The intro is very important to fans of a series. If US publishers don’t care to put it on then I don’t care to buy their janky mall otaku crap.

Oh well in that case yeah. I have quite a bit of fansub downloads. I thought you meant actual bootlegs.

I would say most of the time it's licensing issues from the Japanese overlords. CPM and 4kids were s**t though, of course.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 16:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’d take that any day over a US one missing the intro. The intro is very important to fans of a series. If US publishers don’t care to put it on then I don’t care to buy their janky mall otaku crap.

Agreed. I also have made a conscious decision to not buy Zeta until they include the original music. Which unfortunately means I won't buy any other Gundam release either, because it'd only serve as a grim reminder of that gaping hole in my collection. I'd literally rather have nothing instead.

Even if the music they used on the US release intro is still from the show itself, it's just not right. Gimme Toki wo Koete, dammit!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 17:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's a great release otherwise.

Has Rightstuf said anything about why the original OP isn't on there? These Gundam releases have been really great and it's odd that there is this one issue with it.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 20:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s all down to Neil Sedaka’s worth as a song writer, like I said. They’d have to pay enough money that the release would be unprofitable.

I had fansubs of half of Zeta when the Bandai Entertainment box came out with no intro. I didn’t buy it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2019, 00:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My solution to all of this is learn Japanese. My goal is to be watching my original JP LDs and getting 80% of the dialogue within 2 years. How will I measure this? Get my fluent friend to watch with me and quiz me every so often.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]